• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Visualization of drug groups and drug use as reported by Bluelighters

Very exciting to see Bluelight visualised in this way!

It's good but can i ask why in the first pic (with the circles) you have some that are classes of drugs and others of drugs themselves.. I don't see how LSD can b talked about more than hallucinogens when it is one :\

And I hate the terms "bath salts" and "plant food" :p

In fact I was already asked this question in one of the comments. It's a good question, and you're right.
It's simply that while analyzing the posts, I noticed that people frequently talk about classes of drugs without referring to a specific chemical. In the end I decided to include the classes and title the whole thing as "visualization of drug talk" instead of "visualization of drug classes" with classes themselves absent from the diagram. I could easily do that too.

I just went through the entire article. Really astonishing stuff. You must be a statistician or something closely related.

Actually I'm not, just a humble hobbyist programmer with very average skills. Most people could learn how to do something like that with enough time on their hands.

Really fascinating, as I said earlier, though I have had some time to peruse it now. Just great work.

I wonder why several legally-available herbs such as calea, henbane, brugmansia, opium lettuce, and st. john's wort are all (despite having very different effects) nearby, off to the right of LSD, far away from marijuana and alcohol?

Also, virostatiq, did you combine synonyms such as cannabis, weed, dank, etc. to get the category "marijuana"?
If so, it would be interesting to see a list of all the alternate names for each of the popular drugs!
This would be interesting for many reasons. As one example, there is definitely some overlap, such as "dope" for heroin and cannabis, but it seems to closely follow the age (and, less so, the geographical region) of the speaker, and I suspect that few individuals use "dope" in both ways.

Last edited:
Really fascinating, as I said earlier, though I have had some time to peruse it now. Just great work.

I wonder why several legally-available herbs such as calea, henbane, brugmansia, opium lettuce, and st. john's wort are all (despite having very different effects) nearby, off to the right of LSD, far away from marijuana and alcohol?

Probably because they are discussed in Hallucinogens forum, or their names are more than not used along with other hallucinogens. They don't have to be mentioned in the same post as LSD. When you add up all the connections, they gravitate together because some of them are often mentioned together with some drugs that are mentioned together with LSD. The whole thing is a network with many millions of connections, some of them stronger, some weaker. Drugs with stronger connections, even indirect ones, tend to be physically closer.

Also, virostatiq, did you combine synonyms such as cannabis, weed, dank, etc. to get the category "marijuana"?
If so, it would be interesting to see a list of all the alternate names for each of the popular drugs!
This would be interesting for many reasons. As one example, there is definitely some overlap, such as "dope" for heroin and cannabis, but it seems to closely follow the age (and, less so, the geographical region) of the speaker, and I suspect that few individuals use "dope" in both ways.

Yes, I did. I posted link to the dictionary in the post, but here it is: http://virostatiq.com/data/drugs/drugs.txt
I think I used dope for heroin only, it would be too hard to disambiguate based on context.

^ I was under the impression that most ivory wave was MDPV and some was mixed with methylone?

Also.. the list is pretty damn long so i might have missed it but I don't see cannabis? I see marijuana, hash, etc..

But still.. props to you..

Last edited:
^ I was under the impression that most ivory wave was MDPV and some was mixed with methylone?

Also.. the list is pretty damn long so i might have missed it but I don't see cannabis? I see marijuana, hash, etc..

You are right on both counts. As you said, the list is long and I compiled it somewhat chaotically from different sources. Many entries I just typed in by hand, some I took from wikipedia, some from various sites as urban dictionary, etc. I guess I really forgot about cannabis ... that hurts. But as there were so many posts, I guess it evened out statistically. This particular omission probably more influenced the time chart at the bottom.
Damn.

Could you rearrange all the bubbles into rows or columns and possibly note percentages? Just askin

Great job btw.

Edit - Don't mind me, the idiot in me surfaced at the time of replying to this thread (I didn't bother to click on the link). Change that "great job" to absolutely amazing.

Omg, so .. amazing !!!! Wow, great work man! I can't even imagine the amount of work that you put into this!