View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides Virtual Psychiatrist with Cigna

Yeetdruggie

Bluelighter
So this is kinda related to psychedelics as some of my mental health issues stem from accidental NBOME use and I used to do LSD a bunch.

Im looking for a psychiatrist who is either well versed or familiar with psychedelics that can help me navigate my medication route. I’m in Colorado but would be fine with virtual meetings because it’s psychiatry rather than PCP or other. I accidentally took NBOMEs for a second time a couple months ago and I’m worried that the effects I had over a year ago will come back even worse.

I need a psychiatrist that is more understanding and willing to work with me as things progress. My previous psych nurse was an addictions counselor, but she took on the mentality of “well if you just didn’t do them in the first place you wouldn’t have these problems” which is a “duh, obviously”. But she refused to help me navigate the upcoming symptoms as a result of the NBOME and didn’t look into it much at all- kept calling it LSD to dumb it down and saying LSD causes the exact same effects 🤦🏽‍♀️.

Well, when I had my tryptamine schizo break I chose a psychiatrist who was also a neurologist. Best shrink I ever had and I presume due to his neurologist background he seemed familiar and interested in what happened to me and the psychedelic use.

Hope that helps in your journey. I've never done virtual visits but I don't think they can help with this kinda stuff? Not sure

So this is kinda related to psychedelics as some of my mental health issues stem from accidental NBOME use and I used to do LSD a bunch.

Im looking for a psychiatrist who is either well versed or familiar with psychedelics that can help me navigate my medication route. I’m in Colorado but would be fine with virtual meetings because it’s psychiatry rather than PCP or other. I accidentally took NBOMEs for a second time a couple months ago and I’m worried that the effects I had over a year ago will come back even worse.

I need a psychiatrist that is more understanding and willing to work with me as things progress. My previous psych nurse was an addictions counselor, but she took on the mentality of “well if you just didn’t do them in the first place you wouldn’t have these problems” which is a “duh, obviously”. But she refused to help me navigate the upcoming symptoms as a result of the NBOME and didn’t look into it much at all- kept calling it LSD to dumb it down and saying LSD causes the exact same effects 🤦🏽‍♀️.

You will definitely want to find one who will first get onboard with your lifestyle choices. I can't say this is a guarantee because conventional 'old fashioned' psychiatry won't favour aiding the facilitation of your lifestyle choices because of how out-dated and incompatible older models are at looking at people and their problems. More recent generations will probably be open more to going on a journey with you to help you with what you need knowing also what you are doing and it's implications socially, culturally, politically etc. Look at how psychedelic psychotherapy and new burgeoning areas in psychiatry, neuroscience etc are changing perspective and integrative care based on cutting edge research and acceptance of these compounds in comparison to what was a pretty sinister and stigmatized area not that long ago i.e if you take acid you are crazy and you will fry your brain etc.

This will be a process of finding out whether you are compatible with a professional and then trying to expand on where their limits are in regards to how much they could tolerate regarding your lifestyle choices and their ability to effectively provide the most beneficial therapeutic environment for your growth, potential, development and health. This could be a fairly long winding process and likely there will be those that cannot flex to the degree you want them to. I mean, can you tell one psychiatrist you took LSD yesterday without him/her trying to push on you the prohibition propaganda and anti-drugs stance? Can you tell another that you felt like you were losing your mind and your reality was melting without he/she reaching for the strait jacket? You get what I mean by that one, I hope anyway. You will really need to have the courage and the confidence to be as open and true to yourself as possible without seeking to hide aspects of yourself in order to try and compensate for what the professional may lack in understanding, awareness or even acceptance and ability to deal with what you are about. When you go private and you pay for these sessions and get someone like this on-board, it's not a case of being stuck with a doctor you get when and if you walk into A&E. You are CHOOSING the doctor and this IMPLIES the relationship is based on your consent and intention to seek that particular relationship out. Essentially, YOU are the CENTER of this relationship and you want these professionals orbiting you. So you need to ask yourself what do you expect from this person, what will you accept/not accept, where are the boundaries, how far can this person go, what kind of personality/character, what kind of experience, what kind of professional qualifications, what kind of stance on this or that etc, how you both get along, whether they can relate, whether they can actually offer you anything or it's simply a dead end.

If you want someone to go on this journey, you will need to do it like a pro athlete consults their elite support network i.e sport psychologist, nutrition, strength and conditioning coach, manager, endocrinologist, chiropractor or whatever. These guys are on your side and you are paying them to be on your side. So you want to make sure it is much like an elite level support network an elite level athlete would have. That means creating the environment you want and need and ensuring that that environment benefits you all the time.

Put the feelers out there, man. Talk to some people and pick their brains, find out what they know and push the envelope and be bold enough to say it how it is and what you are looking for. Even if it means saying I need a psychiatrist because I take psychedelics and I want someone to help me make sense of it all. Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy and sometimes I feel like God. What the f*ck does it all mean? That's an example but you get my point. It's much like saying, well doc I have fantasies of f*cking my mother and it almost seems like these fantasies should become true so what should I do? Most people would never dream to lay it out like that but the ones that do? Are likely to come to the best conclusion knowing they actually had the ability to take what was within them and lay it all out without trying to preempt reactions, consequences, disadvantages etc. For the latter example if that was a real situation, it's being dealt with when someone out there could be in the same boat and has no outlet whatsoever to even release it. What seems crazy, farfetched and absolutely not okay, given the right environment and the right people, is anything but these things. I mean, to me anyway, that's where the therapy is - in those environments where what issues you have are actually perfectly normal, acceptable and you are absolutely fine for experiencing them because the person/people know the blueprint that creates their existence and they can share this with you to create maps to reach new levels.

Hope this helps somewhat.
I have several years of studying psychotherapy and decades of researching fields of psychiatry and psychology down to societal and cultural factors in providing care. We are all here to some degree because that level of care was and is not sufficient i.e we take drugs and nobody to talk about this with, especially with someone who is a professional and someone who could help without envisioning getting a slapped ass for talking about the forbidden word; drugs. This is the hurdle to get over on both sides of the equation; as both client and therapist/professional/whatever - to greener pastures where it's actually okay to work together to understand this kind of stuff.

Where have you reached out to so far? Have you been on your typical 'find a psychiatrist' websites? Have you thought about checking out psychedelic therapists? Like I said, you will probably need to find somebody who has delved into these areas, and potentially co-exists within them currently and for some time, in order to get what you really want out of all this.

Smart, progressive psychiatrists like the one I think you are looking for are usually expensive and/or don't take insurance. The neurologist/psychiatrist approach might be a good one though.

The truth is, psychiatry is just about the easiest specialty and doesn't tend to attract the brightest physicians. Years ago there was certainly more allure to it, and greater profitability, so you had some brighter practitioners. Insurance doesn't really compensate psychiatrists anymore for psychotherapy, just medication consultation.

Again, more innovative and open minded psychiatrists do exist but they tend to be accordingly expensive.

The reality is you are probably going to have manage your expectations a bit. I would probably avoid female psychiatrists in this case, not because they are less capable but because women are far more risk adverse and are naturally more self-protective, so when they hear about the psychedelics they may instinctively clam up. Still, regardless of gender, most psychiatrists that accept insurance are going be in a perpetual "cover-my-ass-above all else" mode.

90% of psychiatrists will worsen whatever you have.

In any case, talking from experience, I would NOT take any antypsychotics nor SSRIs, which basically are all the only bullets they have.

Antipsychotics turns you fat as a seal and turns you into a zombified version of you. No drive, no desires, no words. You just eat like there is no tomorrow.

SSRIs kills your libido, mess your emotions, have a plethora of aftereffects and are addictive as hell. I still have brain zaps for the Venlafaxine. Nasty, nasty compounds.

How can they thing it can help??

You better change your life style (do sports/gym, go out with friends, eat quality, meditate, etc)

Last edited:

In any case, talking from experience, I would NOT take any antypsychotics nor SSRIs, which basically are all the only bullets they have.

Antipsychotics turns you fat as a seal and turns you into a zombified version of you. No drive, no desires, no words. You just eat like there is no tomorrow.

SSRIs kills your libido, mess your emotions, have a plethora of aftereffects and are addictive as hell. I still have brain zaps for the Venlafaxine. Nasty, nasty compounds.

You better change your life style (do sports/gym, go out with friends, eat quality, meditate, etc)
I can appreciate your view but I think it's a little pessimistic.

Yeah APs suck, but they also saved my life in the midst of my suicidal psychosis. I wouldn't tell people straight up not to take them because they do provide real benefit in some situations.

I also talk a lot of shit about SSRI but again, these drugs do help some people.

I think people should be warned of their side effects, efficacy and things like that, but we shouldn't tell people to write off psychiatry before ever trying it themselves.

But you are correct in that nutrition, exercise, sleep, meditation, etc.. will do more for the average person than any shrink could.

Not all psychiatrists are like that. If it's 90%, you have to find the 10%. That's your role. You are not a victim in the process. Treatment revolves around you. You are at the center of it. Having an outlook like that guarantees you won't find someone who can help because you have created the belief that it's not possible and so of course the only people you will encounter will be the ones that you set yourself up to encounter by assuming that's all that is out there. Like you said, 90% of psychiatrists. That's A LOT of psychiatrists and little help then.

Everytime I have met someone who only talks in drugs and not looking at the bigger picture holistically, I call them out on it. I once met a GP who told me that the antidepressants I were taking were absolutely fine and I had no choice but to take them. We had a lengthy conversation that turned into her trying to bite my head off because I had spent many years researching antidepressants and knew more about them than she did. She told me she was a psychiatrist and this was a lie as she actually only had psychiatric medication prescribing training which is like a booster course but not a whole curriculum in psychiatry so she reverted to lying like a child to one-up me. As just a normal patient I found this hilarious and also pretty sad at the same time. Here was a lifelong GP whose main profession was a podiatrist claiming she was a psychiatrist because I challenged her on antidepressants. She knew very little and wouldn't budge. I put in a complaint and she was made to formally apologize in writing. She tried to make me continue taking drugs that were harming me. It happens. It's your responsibility to prove you know enough and care enough to have a dialogue with them. Otherwise, yeah, they might assume drugs are the only options.

I had a very cool psychiatrist for years. I told him all about my previous use of psychedelics and things like 4mmc and mdpv addiction causing my fibromyalgia. He even eventually prescribed adderall and valium. Was expensive.... he didn't even take insurance. I wish i could afford that kind of psychiatric care now...