Votes: 1 33.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

atri

Bluelight Crew
I'm pretty close to beating this game, and i have to say, dont waste your time or money. im very, very happy that i became a gamefly member and rented this, cause id be pissed if i had payed for it. It's a game that youd expect from bioware, but i really think they sacrificed alot of details that make a game good and decided to go pretty instead. loot is uninteresting and repetitive. theres only one side mission that you do over, and over. main story and levels are decent. music is inappropriate and uninspired.
if you must, rent it.

Fair enough, each to their own i suppose. My review of Mass Effect was a little dirrerent....more in tune with the rest of the planet.

Mass Effect is amazing. You definetly have to be happy with listening to what can sometime be hours of story at a time, and not killing a single enemy, but the quality of game you'll be getting here is top notch in almost every aspect.

Yes, there is some bad texture popping, and the framerate can chug up a little at times, but past that, you have one of the most visually stunning games to have ever been released. The gameplay is engaging and challenging, the music I found to be a real treat...less cyberpunk techno...which is common in these game environments, and more relaxing background noise.

It's all an opinion at the end of the day....but please god dont let the above review deter you from trying the game. Iv'e not read a review on this game like that ever, and Mass Effect is definetly worth a look.

I'm loving it. Admittedly I've got to the part where you're supposed to explore the solar systems and I'm a little lost, but I love a pretty game with a good storyline so this is right up my alley. I also created my own character and she's gorgeous so that's giving me extra enjoyment as well.

I also loved Jade Empire. I'm becoming a fan of bioware :)

I'm in the group of people that doesn't like the game ... but then again I'm not a fan of FPS on consoles in general. And, graphics do not make a game to me, it has to have substance to back it up, and in that sense this game is just like any other FPS.

ive loved every bioware game before this one. maybe i hyped it up in my mind a bit too much :\

Yeah but EVERYONE hyped it up, it was supposed to be the next great game after Halo. No dice.

Nickatina said:
I'm in the group of people that doesn't like the game ... but then again I'm not a fan of FPS on consoles in general. And, graphics do not make a game to me, it has to have substance to back it up, and in that sense this game is just like any other FPS.

ah a member of the mouse and keyboard crew...lol

Mass Effect is coming under fire for it's sexual content :D Watch the vido in this thread fo silliness. Especially funny is the part where the guy says, "Who can argue that Luke Skewalker meets Debbie dies Dallas is a good thing?"

http://gamepolitics.com/2008/01/22/1993/
:D

aw man, i just finished Mass Effect last weekend. great game btw!

those news people need to stfu. gta san andreas didn't get no flak...."hot coffee" anyone?

Nickatina said:
Yeah but EVERYONE hyped it up, it was supposed to be the next great game after Halo. No dice.

Mass Effect is an RPG, it's not an FPS. Appreciate the game for what it is, it's an awesome RPG game, very few next gen game feel like a playable movie, mass effect does that.

Woot! 2000 post lol.

honestly, the game does feel a little shallow, especially coming from bioware. i played through twice and got a lot of satisifaction from the game, but yeah, i'd describe it as a renter...

Bloody amazing game.

But I am seriously fucked off right now...
So much for auto save..

I spent about an hour solving the 'Main Core' puzzle where you have to switch the blue blocks over using X, Y and B

Got a little further, fixed generator and the landlines.. then my squad wasn't behind me, some cheeky fucker comes up and twats me dead in one hit.

Now, I find myself ALL the way back at the garage where you get into the car.. fucks sake.

When I first played it I thought it was fucking amazing. Then I saw that city and was quite taken away by it all.

Then the resulting few hours of simply running backwards and forwards put me right off and I've never played it again. It gave me a headache in the end.

I never did any of the assignments/missions within the Citadel until last night where I had built up about 20 different ones.

That meant I wasn't running around aimlessly for a lot of the time as I could just go to the next room to finish the next mission etc. Took me less an hour of running errands to get a ton of stuff and a few levels.

I'm just exploring all the worlds now, even though I've got the two main missions on Feros and Averia to do.

I bloody hate this game. Not because it's bad on the whole, but because it holds SO much promise that Bioware failed to exploit to its fullest potential or in some cases fucked up completely. Captaining your ship. Exploring the universe. Fighting from cover. Squad tactics. Characters with intricate backstories and personalities. relationships. The basics for all of them are there but every last one of them falls short in order to leave me feeling satisfied.

The voice acting and facial expressions are made of wood. I fail to empathize with any of the characters. Although the alien party members, such as the beautiful blue-skinned Liara are portrayed to be sortof awkward at communicating with humans, even the human-on-human dialogues feel emotionless and detached, even in a military context. When I saw the names of the voice actors in the credits I felt embarassed in their stead. Everyone seems to be on valium, if you catch my drift. They could have made something very imaginative and thought-provoking out of the whole inter-species friendship & love thing, but it just didn't grip me the way it could have, should they have put more effort into the characterization and the voice-acting and the dialogue trees.

The dialogue options are hailed by many reviews to be innovative but in the end it always boils down to the same old overdone "good" answer -"neutral" answer -"evil" answer system. And to make things worse, the dialogue menu always puts them in the same order, making the whole process very generic and unexiting. Pick the top right, you're Obi-Wan, pick bottom right, and you're Darth what's-his-name.

The squadmate AI... doesn't work. You can't get them to take cover properly, they'll just stand out in the open and do nothing more than serve as targets while the player does all the real work. When the enemy's up close they won't even melee like the player does, they're every bit as dumb and expendable as their opponents, standing out in the open taking pot shots. This goes especially for the soldier classes, who NEED proper cover use in order to be effective. The other classes have it easier because they can use biotic powers to restore their own shields, which makes up for all the damage they're taking. Hence playing as a biotic or technician focused character is way more dificult because you can't rely on soldier class squadmates to make up for the lack of firepower. YOU have to do the shooting because you just can't rely on your squad to back you up. In summary, tactics are rather awkward no matter what your playstyle is.

Why all this criticism? It's simple. Before downloading this game I spent a fortnight playing Dragon Age: Origins which, although it's a completely different genre (tactical RPG), shares a great many features with Mass Effect.

A universe with a rich and detailed lore and flavour, moral choices, a form of squad tactics and relationships between characters. Only this time all of it is near perfect. If you want to play a real Bioware game I strongle suggest Dragon Age. It has everything Mass Effect has but better. Beautiful, enthralling shakespearian voice-acting. Living, thinking, breathing characters you can love, respect or hate. No stupid simplified good-evil spectrum; in my subjective opinion the moral twists of the storyline in this game go way deeper than those of Mass Effect. Instead of a spaceship, the party campfire serves as your base and place where you talk to your party members to learn more about them and have them learn more from you through conversation. Instead of the Milky Way, it's the kingdom of Ferelden, swords and magic instead of guns and biotics, etc.

You can set up tactics for your party members that can be fine-tuned in a way that each party member is a cog in the machine as is expected in RPG's. Or you can micro-manage every 5 seconds if you want. It's up to you, but it's really not necessary if you learn how to play, unlike Mass Effect, where to me the squad management seems broken from the start.

So there you have it: Fuck you Shepard, thank you Alistair.

i fkn loved this game up until the saren fight (part 2), which is impossible with the character i've got built up. the difficulty spike in that fight is really killing my horny on this game. i can't make a single dent on the bastard. i wish i went soldier class, cuz i seldom used biotics to this point. at least then i'd have more than a pistol and useless sniper rifle in that room.