• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Vicodin or Suboxone

bighunter_fishing

Greenlighter
I'm going to take either Vicodin or Suboxone, it's going to be a low dose and a short time , at the most 6 months I'm not worried about getting addicted , what I'm wanting to know is if anyone has experience in taking and stopping these meds , I want to go with the one that's going to have the least side affects and has the easiest detox?

They will both cause same w/D's specially when taken over 6 months some will tell you it'll be harder to get off Vicodin but it'll be relatively the same

If you are not in chronic pain, why go down that road? Never heard of somebody planning a 6 month opioid binge and then successfully staying away from them forever. If you have no tolerance, Hydrocodone is a strong enough medication. Buprenorphine is much, much stronger with a different purpose. Without a tolerance, a single 2MG strip of Suboxone can send you into a 48 hour rollercoaster of feeling too high and not in a good way. For somebody with a tolerance, it simply fends off withdrawals. The strength of Hydrocodone withdrawals is slightly weaker than Oxycodone and Suboxone withdrawals are drawn out. 5 days and you would be physically fine after Vicodin but it could take well over a month with Suboxone. It is a slippery slope and I don't understand the purpose. If it is due to pain then let us know but if not I really am scratching my head as to why these 2 drugs were chosen...

If you are not in chronic pain, why go down that road? Never heard of somebody planning a 6 month opioid binge and then successfully staying away from them forever. If you have no tolerance, Hydrocodone is a strong enough medication. Buprenorphine is much, much stronger with a different purpose. Without a tolerance, a single 2MG strip of Suboxone can send you into a 48 hour rollercoaster of feeling too high and not in a good way. For somebody with a tolerance, it simply fends off withdrawals. The strength of Hydrocodone withdrawals is slightly weaker than Oxycodone and Suboxone withdrawals are drawn out. 5 days and you would be physically fine after Vicodin but it could take well over a month with Suboxone. It is a slippery slope and I don't understand the purpose. If it is due to pain then let us know but if not I really am scratching my head as to why these 2 drugs were chosen...

This is the truth

We could do with some further context here please @bighunter_fishing. What is it you are planning and why? Is it under medical supervision?

If this is for chronic pain or a condition requiring pain relief, plus taking into account tolerance, if you are new to Opioids, the Hydrocodone will be the best option I suspect. With a little more information we should be able to help you out ?

They will both cause same w/D's specially when taken over 6 months some will tell you it'll be harder to get off Vicodin but it'll be relatively the same

Suboxone has a far longer withdrawal period, and also more severe. Hydrocodone will be far easier to get off of. But I'll echo what others have said. Unless you're in chronic pain, this is an awful idea. No one thinks they're going to ruin their lives when they start taking opiates, yet a lot of people do.

I don't get your purpose but if you have to choose one, stay away from Suboxone. You, knowingly, are putting yourself in dependency and probably addiction situation but at least go with the weaker one. You will suffer when/ if you stop after 6 months whichever medication you choose but Suboxone is a whole other level when it comes to stop using.
I think that you are taking this too lightly and probably you haven't experienced a proper opiate/ opioid dependency or withdrawal. Good luck and reconsider the path you are taking once more.

@KS78 makes some significant points here.^

If you need pain relief of course, the Hydro should hopefully be adequate. However if it is a matter of curiousity, be careful it doesn’t turn to“hindsight” as many of us here have found out to our cost. Hope this helps!!!!

You know, Suboxone is used for detoxification and maintenance and has stayed in the US CSA Schedule III and similar levels of other regulations around the world for a reason -- it requires well over half of the μ opioid receptors to have an effect and clamps down hard on them . . . so you will soon have, for nearly all of your six months, the steady state of a typical morphinian high (if you are lucky -- it doesn't happen to everyone) with some strange effects right at the liminal level in the background because of the absolute level of κ opioid antagonism.

Connected to this is the fact that the gorgeous bang of rapidly filling μ receptors from zero to sufficient pure agonist opioid effects that comes from even oral hydrocodone dosing is out of the question, and there is no way around it even for a group as resourceful as chronic pain patients and other narcotic users -- the medication is called SubOXONE because it is adulterated with naloxone to chain users to the intended sublingual Route of Administration, which is a good idea since a buprenorphine overdose can be touch and go even with naloxone because of the extreme receptor affinity.

Also my experience with plain buprenorphine SL for chronic pain and IM and IV for a misadventure with sea urchins and a Portuguese Man-O-War in Lebanon years ago left me unimpressed as to its pain killing ability versus what was alleged because it is also a δ opioid antagonist and has no nociceptin, σ, NMDA, or ζ opioid effects. Note also that both chronic pain and Opioid Substitution Therapy patients tend to find buprenorphine's actions to be "un-natural" even more than with methadone and levomethadone and this is responsible for the popularity of extended-release dihydrocodeine and morphine as the Substitutionsmittel where these drugs are available to be used for that purpose, and certainly as a chronic analgesic.

If you want to play with a synthetic for this, I suggest trying tramadol instead. With both that and hydrocodone, you have a better choice of workable potentiators, many of which are over the counter or are food rather than drugs, Good luck.