• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

VICE: using psychadelics to treat depression?

chichichi

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I'm a writer with VICE Australia. I'm looking into writing an article about the use of psychedelics to treat depression. Has anyone had any experience with self medicating in this way?

If you're interested in talking you can email me at [email protected]

Tbh, I don't think self medication of psychiatric conditions with psychedelic drugs should be promoted.

I agree with doppelgänger. even though there are plenty people who got better because of taking psychedelics, there is also a darker side to things... many people (me included) who seeked answers via psychedelics had negative experiences with long lasting effects. I also learned a lot because of this, but it was hard and I was desperate many times (depression, derealization, panic disorder after a terrifyingly strong trip on mushrooms).

taking psychedelics and expecting them to do some healing can be a very tricky.

No I think its fine, it's journalism. I've had good results with smoking DMT, feeling has lasted a few days, 3-4, hyperspace is not needed, just below is fine, so you don't have to leave the body and all that. Quick trip, fine results.

yeah, I'm not saying that they shouldn't make this article, but it should be as objective as possible, and not only show the up-side. for many depressive people, taking psychedelics don't give them more positive effect than maybe a short afterglow, my sister for example is that way.

I think it's possible but very risky unless done in a controlled environment with controlled doses and a trained therapist like MAPS do. Also some of the benefits aren't exactly what you think. Like myself and a lot of people who've experienced 'feeling better' after taking LSD, actually noticed that it made us kind of manic for a while, which ultimately wasn't helpful. I think mushrooms, mescaline and DMT hold the most promise as I've experienced a genuine feeling of being 'humbled' and simply feeling grateful to be alive, without many if any side effects, after using them. 2C-B I thought had horrific side effects (it gave me HPPD after barely using it a few times), and LSD is a bit of a beast that would probably need a lot of controls to be truly effective. MDMA can be really great for social anxiety and depression after use, but again, use it just a little too much or in the wrong way or at too high a dose, and that one in particular can fuck you up for a long time. I don't think self medication should be encouraged at all.

I found this on MAPS website.
MAPS said:
There is considerable previous human experience using LSD in the context of psychotherapy. From the 1950s through the early 1970s, psychiatrists, therapists, and researchers administered LSD to thousands of people as a treatment for alcoholism, as well as for anxiety and depression in people with advanced stage cancer. MAPS' completed and future research conforms to modern drug development standards, and will help guide the development of additional research into the risks and benefits of LSD-assisted psychotherapy.
https://www.maps.org/research/psilo-lsd

Referencing earlier comments:
I think we're proving the greatest benefit comes from professionally guided therapy. If people chose self medication they deserve the option. Many of our societies leaders on capitol hill smoke and promote smoking despite the obvious evidence that causes cancer and cardiovascular disease. If they want to smoke that is their choice. What they put in their body is their choice. They expect I tolerate their bad habits and suffer the consequences of second hand exposure to what they use. I'll complain less if we could all agree they can smoke and I'll be using psychedelics. Cognitive liberty is a basic human right. My drug use should be as legal as theirs.

Last edited: