• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Vice: SISA Cocaine of the Poor

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
If Vice's series Siberia: Krokodil Tears didn't getcha, here's a their new one...

The Fix said:
"Cocaine of the Poor" Plagues Greece
Economic disaster leads to rising use of a cheap, synthetic drug by the nation's homeless.

A new documentary from Vice investigates "sisa," a cheap synthetic drug that is "destroying the lives of Athens' homeless people." Although little is known about the drug, it is rumored to be a cheap derivative of crystal meth cut with anything from shampoo or cooking salt to battery acid and engine oil. Charalampos Poulopoulos, director of KETHEA, a government-funded anti drug and rehabilitation organization, says Greece's economic crisis has exacerbated general drug use in the country, and led to sisa's emergence on the market.

The nation currently has a 27% unemployment rate—58% for youth under 25. In a "perfect storm," the economic crisis has also led to a collapse of the health care system, leading to a deficit of treatment centers, methadone clinics and healthcare workers. Addicts who’ve been priced out of using heroin, crack, and crystal meth have increasingly turned to sisa, which costs as little as two euros a hit.

The epidemic is only the latest example in a global trend toward synthetic street drugs, from the skin-eating krokodil in Siberia, to souped-up anti-AIDS meds in South Africa, and to the synthetic craze in North America and the UK.As with most drugs available to the poor, sisa comes with some nasty side effects, including “insomnia, delusions, heart attacks and aggressiveness,” says Poulopoulos. In the video, sisa users describe the drug's damaging effects. "I think it's the worst drug ever" says a man in the video, "You can kill someone and not even realize."
http://www.thefix.com/content/sisa-cocaine-poor-greece91654

Damn it! I never should have dumped that girlfriend who worked at Vice...

^right?! it's amazing how much she's grown since our days at uni... her dad was fucking crazy tho

I liked their krokodil one more, but this one on sisa is okay. there was a really good article in the new yorker a couple weeks/months back about vice et al. I love my free new yorker subscription :) I'll try and find it and post it so we can all enjoy

ack, just one of the many reasons I miss new england sometimes, but alas I'm here to stay... so when are we gonna chill capt'n? shoot me a pm or text sometime, yea? awesome :)

p.s. and although the girl she was dumped for was really really good looking sexy in body and mind type, she was too much in other ways (she had her own problems, some of which I couldn't help her deal with sadly).. shit, that's why it was especially stupid in retrospect - I'd probably have a happy/healthy relationship to the vice chick to this day... everything 20/20 in hindsight I guess :\ hey, at least she wrote a number of lost-love-I-miss-him-misery-type songs about me =D hopefully she's moved on. I imagine so, she wasn't stupid in any way shape or form. Not like me I mean... %)

Finally a VICE documentary I can watch without cringing, the amount of hipster journalist cunts they employ is annoying. The guy seems half decent

After watching the documentry it dosent really have anything to do with this "Sisa", its just crystal meth apparently.

They did not find out what the chemical actually was, buying some and getting it tested would have helped. 8( Just all speculation.

Last edited:
Here's that New Yorker article on Vice. Hopefully ya'll can view it fine. Great article actually. A little long, but good. And, after all, we're talking the New Yorker here 8)

To Greece.. legalize, regulate and sell drugs..

It's a multiple (likely) win win time to do it.

I remember hearing about a large rise in the use of methamphetamine in Greece. Im thinking that Sisa is sort of a really really crude form of crystal methamphetamine , much like Paco and Oxo in Southern America in regards to cocaine/crack.

Yea, that certain would make sense. But still, yuck, shake'n'bake methamp...

Greek addicts turn to deadly shisha drug as economic crisis deepens

Guardian

Helena Smith in Athens
The Guardian, Thursday 16 May 2013 20.08 BST

With reader comments
Nobody knows which came first: the economic crisis tearing Greece apart or shisha, the drug now known as the "cocaine of the poor". What everyone does accept is that shisha is a killer. And at €2 or less a hit, it is one that has come to stalk Greece, the country long on the frontline of Europe's financial meltdown.

"As drugs go, it is the worst. It burns your insides, it makes you aggressive and ensures that you go totally mad," said Maria, a former heroin addict. "But it is cheap and it is easy to get, and it is what everyone is doing."

The drug crisis, brought to light in a new film by Vice.com, has put Athens's health authorities, already overwhelmed by draconian cuts, under further strain.

The drug of preference for thousands of homeless Greeks forced on to the streets by poverty and despair, shisha is described by both addicts and officials as a variant of crystal meth whose potential to send users into a state of mindless violence is underpinned by the substances with which the synthetic drug is frequently mixed: battery acid, engine oil and even shampoo.

More...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/16/greek-addicts-sisha-drug-crisis

^ how did they make the leap from sisa (hissing sound when i last heard it) to shisha , which is an arab pipe. Fucking journalists..

yup... but then again, the major news outlets aren't known for their precision or accuracy... plus when it comes to drugs most journalists know fuckall concerning the subject matter.

I don't mean to excuse what is obviously poor journalism, but rather that I've come to expect an under par product..

The New Drug Sensation That's Sweeping the Nation... of Greece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tiO_cj0p8c

Hey Bluelight, so I was watching the above clip from The Young Turks just now. It deals with a new drug being used predominantly in Greece called Sisa. According to them, it's a derivative of meth, but with such potent negatives effects on the body that meth almost looks safe in comparison. They showed briefly some of the chemicals added to make it, but they seemed to be substances I had thought were used to cook meth.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about Sisa. What makes it so much more destructive than meth? Also, is it exclusively in Greece, or has it spread to other countries?

TL;DR: Folks in Greece have made a crazy new drug from meth and I want to know what makes it so much worse.

Thanks for any information on the topic,

S.P.

ummm...as far as we can tell, it is meth (not sure why erroneous reporting on it is so frequent). I'm guessing that they're just cutting corners on purification following synthesis, hence the increased side-effects.

ebola

ummm...as far as we can tell, it is meth (not sure why erroneous reporting on it is so frequent). I'm guessing that they're just cutting corners on purification following synthesis, hence the increased side-effects.

ebola

blay!

just like shitty backwoods crank made in a coke bottle

I wish journalists would stop finding excuses to blow up every new drug trend as some earth shattering plague, it sucks that Greece is so messed up right now, and that so many people are turning to drugs, and that that drug is crystal meth, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to believe this is any different to the home cooked/shake'n'bake meth already seen in America/Asia/Oceania, they're just buying into the rumors and the bullshit hype that surrounds any street drug so they can make it out to be something bigger than it is and make it feel like they're offering their readers some exclusive insight or whatever bullshit.

I was not aware that Shake n' Bake Meth could produce such detrimental effects. Pumping one's stomach of pus just sounds hellish.