Vet Needles

AlmostFamous

Bluelighter
Is there a difference between vet and human needles? Terumo brand needles, which I've used for 5 years, have suddenly become hard to find without a prescription, but I can easily get their vet branded needles.

I've used some vet grade needles and they don't seem as Sharp . I've had two situations where I had to use a 20g to pin glutes and the terumo hg needle was a lot less painful. The vet needle required a lot more force to puncture the skin. One could see the need depress the skin before actually penetrating.

I've used some vet grade needles and they don't seem as Sharp . I've had two situations where I had to use a 20g to pin glutes and the terumo hg needle was a lot less painful. The vet needle required a lot more force to puncture the skin. One could see the need depress the skin before actually penetrating.

Thank you for the response, that's what I needed to know. Many years ago, I learned vet branded antibiotics were no different than human grade antibiotics. The exact same thing. To this day, I stock up on vet branded antibiotics just in case I need them as the vet branded antibiotics are so cheap and don't require a prescription. Even cheaper than if I went to the doctor with insurance, not to mention the hassle of a doctor's visit and what not, so I didn't know if the same held true for vet branded needles.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/656324-Have-an-infection-and-need-antibiotics?highlight=fish

Two of the most well known online needle vendors in our world discontinued offering terumo hg needles. IMO, terumo has the best needles hands down. Consistently sharp. My last order, I gave Nipro a try and the quality of the needle is so inconsistent. Some will be sharp as can be, while some, like the last one I used was so incredibly dull. I read BD precision glide branded needles are well liked so I'll more than likely give those a try since the Terumo vet branded needles are different than the hg needles.

Last edited:
Is there not a local needle exchange clinic near you or a chemist that will give you them? I am in the UK and I go in to the needle exchange clinic and say I need needles and syringes for steroids......They give out 40 greens (23G) 40 blues (25G) 60 x 2ml syringes, 100 alcohol wipes and a sharps bin.....Any chemist does the same but only gives out 25 of each pins and plungers......Plus they are all free so you will save yourself some cash!

Is there not a local needle exchange clinic near you or a chemist that will give you them? I am in the UK and I go in to the needle exchange clinic and say I need needles and syringes for steroids......They give out 40 greens (23G) 40 blues (25G) 60 x 2ml syringes, 100 alcohol wipes and a sharps bin.....Any chemist does the same but only gives out 25 of each pins and plungers......Plus they are all free so you will save yourself some cash!

I have no problem getting needles. But I am having problems finding Terumo branded human grade needles.

Vet needles have a different bevel and are sharpened at a different angle. They are made for penetrating animal skin, not human skin. Not only that, the larger gauge needles differ from smaller gauge needles as they are designed to penetrate livestock skin.

I found this out when giving my husband an IM injection having run out of human syringes. I used one of the IM syringes kicking around from the cattery days.

The difference was very apparent, and hubby didn't appreciate it AT ALL.

Yeah as above, they can feel relatively blunt and may cause more microtrauma to tissues they pass through. I'd rather switch (human) brands than use vet needles. Do you not like BD needles?

Yeah as above, they can feel relatively blunt and may cause more microtrauma to tissues they pass through. I'd rather switch (human) brands than use vet needles. Do you not like BD needles?

I've never tried BD needles. The first needle I tried was terumo many years ago and I never had any complaints so I never tried any other brand of needles until 3 months ago when I started my current cycle. I read Nipro was a well liked brand on various forums so I gave them a try but the inconsistent quality has lead me to try something else.

I personally prefer BD over Terumo, especially on smaller gagues and insulin needles. They've generally seemed sharper.

We used BD as the one pharmacy that would sell us massive amounts of various types of opioids, plus injectable meds used as performance enhancers by athletes, carried BD syringes. We had to have a RX for the syringes and most pharmacies wouldn't sell even RX syringes unless you were buying insulin from them. (we used mostly insulin syringes as hubs had a port)

If your talking about boots then green is 21g and blue is 23g