View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Very Old People.. and LSD

Grapefruit

Greenlighter
If you had grandparents who were old and senile and already physically deteriorating and they taken 20+ prescriptions drugs a day because that's what their norm life has become and they don't even say a word anymore because they never get out of the house and experience anything new and have nothing to add and it just seems like the saddest situation ever for anybody to be in.

What would happen if you dosed them with a small dose of LSD (like 50mics)?

Would they experience the giggles even though they haven't laughed for years?

Would they lose all thats left of their sanity?

Would they actually open their mouths and talk about stuff?

Would they forget about their pains and maybe even experience a sort of afterglow or a shift in perspective of their lives even though the past few years have been repetitive/mundane/depressing/deteriorating?

It's a serious question. One that I have never tried and probably never will try, but it's interesting to see how they take literally more prescription drugs than they could remember to that are causing their own slew of side effects anyway, whats one more drug? 8o

Yeah, crazy topic, i know.

A person's age would make no difference to how the LSD affected them. Would be the effects of the prescription drugs that would affect the LSD. It's not different to if a 20 year old (or someone of any other age) were on the same script - if the scripts counteracted the acid then it wouldn't work, if they don't then it would.

I may be being dense but I don't quite see the point of the question. That's assuming it's purely hypothetical, of course. Dosing anybody without their consent would be very wrong indeed - no matter what the situation was.

I believe there have been studies where terminally ill people given have been given LSD (and other psychedelics) and it has often improved their outlook though :)

Then again the effect of all psyches is unpredictable - could be great, could be hellish.

Last edited:
i hope once in a while when im that old i can still find a dose here and there.

i know it has helped me gain perspective and a renewed sense of wellbeing before and im sure when im that old it could probably do the same. i would be doing it intentionally though and know the possible effects of mixing it with the meds i was on.

I've pondered a similar idea regarding my parents and mushrooms. But it would be pointless to do it without their knowledge - they'd simply wonder wtf is going on and probably admit themselves to casualty (or more likely call an ambulance).

Being upfront would be unlikely to work either as they have such poor regard for 'drugs' and a level of ignorance fostered by years of mainstream media misinformation.

If the medical establishment had any balls LSD would already be an established treatment for severe depression in elderly people. My grandmother is severely depressed over death issues, and its very sad that she's being denied valuable spiritual medicine by the medical community. (An endorsement by the medical establishment is the only way that she would use it, a lifetime of media brainwashing has made her intensely afraid of illegal drugs of any form). The psychedelic experience has completely change how I view death, and I think that it could help enormously in people who are dying.

dosing people without their consent is a very dangerous thing. i use lsd almost weekly and i'd be PISSED if someone dosed me without my knowlege. i can't even begin to think what would happen to a person who wasn't used to the substance.

it's up to them to take hold of their life. LSD (like many substances) is a tool. it's the way you use it that counts. they would probably flip the fuck out.

one more time thru, just to be sure.

you're asking, in a roundabout way, if you should dose your grandparents with LSD to help them get over some perceived depression.

the answer is no. do not dose anyone without their consent.

If the medical establishment had any balls LSD would already be an established treatment for severe depression in elderly people. My grandmother is severely depressed over death issues, and its very sad that she's being denied valuable spiritual medicine by the medical community. (An endorsement by the medical establishment is the only way that she would use it, a lifetime of media brainwashing has made her intensely afraid of illegal drugs of any form). The psychedelic experience has completely change how I view death, and I think that it could help enormously in people who are dying.

for a guy who has had some very intelligible posts, you're indirectly encouraging something very dangerous and unethical. can you please link a study where dosing a person without their consent (or knowlege that theyre being dosed) and without any professional psychiatric guidance in the process (ie: leaving them to fend for themselves) has treated depression?

dont worry, i'll wait. but i won't hold my breath.

You guys really get distracted easily. Atleast answer it theoretically, or as if the without his consent wasnt addded. Like, would it hhave profound effects on such a miserable old no life senile old person..

How senile are we talking? Can they hold a conversation? Do they even understand they are "miserable"?

kaib0rg, Roger&Me wasn't trying to say anyone should be dosed without their consent. He's saying that it's too bad it's not an accepted medical practice to use LSD in dealing with death. :)

Dosing someone without their consent is akin to rape, in my mind. Absolutely under no circumstances should you ever do that. That said, I think LSD or, for me, mushrooms even moreso, could do a great deal to help deal with these kinds of end-of-life issues, if given with knowledge for therapeutic purposes.

look around google there is info about ancient china and Psilocybin mushrooms used in the elderly. LSD could be a different story, especially if it was given to someone without consent, I mean fuck man acid is a brain busting experience when taken intentionally, imagine you had no idea of what was coming and then BAMMMMMM

You guys really get distracted easily. Atleast answer it theoretically, or as if the without his consent wasnt addded. Like, would it hhave profound effects on such a miserable old no life senile old person..

It's not being distracted - IMO dosing people with a psychedelic without consent is about as shitty a thing you can do as well as being the sort of thing that got psychedelics demonized in the first place. I've always made it perfectly clear that if anybody ever dosed me (or my other half) with acid etc in that way, I would take the sort of revenge that would probably end up with them suddenly realizing they were pensioners who'd been in a psychiatric hospital for years as I'd give them a taste of their own medicine, but on a scale where they wouldn't know what the fuck had hit them (I mean not just LSD, but with things like atropine & other 'weird as fuck' alkaloids thrown in to guarentee a psychotic break of biblical proportions). Never been dosed as I think people could see I was deadly serious & had access to shitloads of all sorts of brain twisting compounds (& would be quite prepared to use them)

By all means do whatever you want to your own body as it's all about personal freedom, but dosing without consent is the sort of fucked up behaviour the CIA indulged in for years in the 50s & 60s (read about operation MK-ULTRA & how the CIA fucked up loads of people's lives)

I think it would be very wrong to do this without permission as many others have said.

Check out the MAPS site where they describe research into the use of psychedelics as therapeutic agents for the terminally ill. Admittedly not senile or necessarily old people, but they are trying to tackle the despondance/depression that accompanies the late stage of cancer. Perhaps these states of mind are simillar in outlook to that being experienced by a depressed elderly person who has lost the 'Sparkle' they once had and is waiting at the last stop before the pearly gates. Obviously, as with 'medical' intervention, the subject must be have sufficient mental ability to consent to it, or have their consent established through advocacy and diligent medical practition.
I've not heard of any research into the effects of LSD on old age related mental conditions like dementia etc. I have however heard anecdotal evidence of the therapeutic value of some psychedelics in the temporary relief of some extreme autistic related conditions, in a carefully supervised situation.
Not something for the layman to be exploring with their beloved dotty Grandad though. Such a shame that the psychedelically aware counsellors/therapists have been forced underground for so long.
Pipp

Shambles said:
A person's age would make no difference to how the LSD affected them.

What about senility? Dementia? Alzheimer's? I would like to know how these sorts of degenerative diseases could possibly affect their experience of a psychedelic drug. How can you have your mind expanded when it doesn't work correctly anymore?

But OP, don't dose your grandparents without their consent, cat. That's is very un-hip.

If somebody has Alzheimer's or similar then the issue of consent would seem even thornier to me. I would also be interested to find out what effect a disease like that would have on the psychedelic experience, but how do you determine whether that person is capable of giving consent? How would they be able to describe what they experienced?

^ Exactly. You'd have to get someone to consent to it before the disease reached the point where consent is impossible. Perhaps if a sufferer who has moments of clarity could use it they could provide some information on what it's like? Or maybe brain scans could show if there is a difference in areas of the brain being activated and we could gather something from this?

Ha, it's time like this I wish I was a researcher with access to unlimited funds and equipment. :)