• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Very important questions before I take psychedelics

^^ agreed. I think the obsession with bad trip would strongly increase the likelihood of having one.
When I trip, I focus on a clear mind; no negative thoughts and then focus on a positive mindset.
I don't focus on what I want out of a trip and neither do I focus on what I do want: that approach will, at best, lead to disappointment or at worst trigger a bad trip.
Mindset is a huge part of what a trip will become so if I were you I would avoid until your mind is in a more positive set.
And FWIW, neuroscientists will not be able to answer most of your questions for the simple reason that the substances in question are illegal and poorly studied. That doesn't even begin to address the fact that the brain is probably the most poorly understood organ in the body.

I am actually obsessed over an nde, not a trip since I actually don't plan on taking a psychedelic. I just disguised my post so that I could get answers from a psychedelic community. These would also be answers to my questions regarding ndes since both trips and ndes are hallucinations. I feared that if I just asked about ndes that no one or hardly anyone would answer.

Well it's very hard to imagine what exact feelings you might have in a nightmare, even if you wrote pages and pages I could never be sure if I really got the correct picture. But what you seem to be describing here is the loss of the capability to somehow step back from your own feelings and tell yourself "Hey, I only feel like this because X and that means I won't feel like this forever.", yes? That can definitely happen on psychedelics, it can be very unpleasant but at the same time it can also give you the opportunity to face important personal issues that you can keep yourself from facing when awake and sober. But as I said, there are no guarantess.

What I mean here by not having any power is that experiences in my depressive nightmares are far beyond horrible experiences. But if I were to have these same experiences in a normal waking state of reality, that reduces these experiences to normal horrible experiences that are not as bad. So me being in a normal wakeful state of reality somehow reduces horrible experiences to normal ones that are not as bad as what I experience in a nightmare. Or, at least, that has applied to a certain feeling in a nightmare I have had carried onto my waking life. But I am not sure if this would apply to the radically altered mental states that I experience in my nightmares.

So based on that, I was wondering if any horrible feeling or altered mental state (no matter how intense and horrible) that I might experience during a hellish nde or an nde with horrible features would also be experiences reduced to normal ones since I would also be in a fully wakeful state during the nde. Or would it be just as bad or an even worse of an experience than my nightmares? Some neuroscientists would agree that ndes are fully waking states while others think they are REM intrusion or lucid dreams. My question applies to ndes being fully conscious states.

If this question cannot be answered, then I will ask this one:

I posit that there is no way for me or you or anyone else to be certain of the difference.

What you would do here is compare the radically altered indescribable mental states that you have experienced during your dreams to the ones you have experienced during your trip and/or nde. Were they the same or at least similar? Or was it instead a unique experience entirely that was strange and bizarre, but wasn't like what you experienced in your dreams and was just a matter of you simply attributing the strangeness and bizarreness of the experience to that of a dream experience when the experience wasn't like what you experience in your dreams?

You're asking questions no one can answer but yourself. You're chasing your tail in circles.

Even I cannot answer these questions. So I was hoping that a neuroscientist could or at least people who have taken a psychedelic here could answer them.

Matt, from your replies I have now learned that you are actually obsessed with an affliction in your mind and when that affliction is triggered you are powerless.
Unless you have a psychedelic therapist, I would not advise you take even the smallest dose of any psychoactive substances.

obsession is your salient mindset - this is not a criticism, it is your warning to us here, you are repeating your cry for help which must be a neuroscientist promising that you can eat psychedelic drugs - not going to happen.

Mind set and setting govern the content of your trip. Dose governs the intensity of resonance or psychedelic extension of that content.

If you find a psychedelic therapist (there are a few) you can follow that direction.

When I first struggled with depression in my life, I have had horrible feelings and altered mental states in my nightmares. However, they were not that bad. They were horrible, but not that bad. This was because that was just my first moment of depression and I was still in a normal healthy state of mind back then. Therefore, any nightmares I would of had back then were that of a normal healthy depressed person.

But as I continued to struggle with more and more depression over the years of accumulated events, I have now experienced nightmares that are far beyond horrible. The feelings and altered mental states I have experienced now in my depressive nightmares are far beyond horrible and nothing normal.

The possibility that I could experience them fully conscious and aware of them during an nde has traumatized me and has taken my life away from me. To be fully conscious and aware of such horrible experiences would be the absolute worst thing as opposed to being less aware of them during a nightmare. I do not wish to experience them during a fully conscious nde if I ever do have an nde myself someday. So I was hoping that it was not possible to experience them. I was hoping ndes are different experiences entirely.

learning to breathe and let experiences pass through you is extremely important.

We are not talking anything normal here such as a panic attack or some other very unpleasant experience that just simply needs to be relaxed with. This is a radically altered mental state that is far beyond anything imaginable. I would not describe it as painful or even agonizing. There is no way to describe it. All I can say is that it is nothing normal, it is an experience far beyond horrible, and is an experience that the most severely ill depressed person would have in his/her nightmares.

So it is an experience of a severely ill depressed brain deserving of a serious tone and not any light-hearted tone such as the one you have displayed. Such tones would be for normal experiences such as fear and panic. But since we are talking an experience that is nothing normal and far beyond horrible, then if you were to know this experience for yourself, then your tone would completely change to something very serious.

Since this experience is so indescribably horrible, that is why I asked if such a horrible experience would be reduced to a normal experience since I would be fully conscious and, as I stated above, me being fully conscious has reduced a horrible feeling experienced in my nightmares to a normal horrible experience in my waking life and I was wondering if this would also apply to those horrible altered mental states during a fully conscious nde no matter how horrible and intense they are.

Last edited:
It sounds to me as though you are just waiting to be told what you want to hear whether it's true or not.
These people advising you know more about psychedelics than most neuroscientists would anyway.
So if your mind is made up and all you're waiting for is the green light regardless of whether it's true or not then, even though you probably shouldn't trip, I'll give you the green light baby...By all means, TRIP BALLS, but don't come whining when shit doesn't go your way. WE WARNED YOU.
I know, I know, not good HR, but hard-heads like this are F'n annoying, but I don't suffer fools well...unless I'm the fool I'm suffering...=D

It sounds to me as though you are just waiting to be told what you want to hear whether it's true or not.
These people advising you know more about psychedelics than most neuroscientists would anyway.
So if your mind is made up and all you're waiting for is the green light regardless of whether it's true or not then, even though you probably shouldn't trip, I'll give you the green light baby...By all means, TRIP BALLS, but don't come whining when shit doesn't go your way. WE WARNED YOU.
I know, I know, not good HR, but hard-heads like this are F'n annoying, but I don't suffer fools well...unless I'm the fool I'm suffering...=D

My questions are actually regarding ndes and not trips. Go ahead and read my previous post.

My questions are actually regarding ndes and not trips. Go ahead and read my previous post.

You seem to be talking about NDE's but are still asking whether it's safe to trip or not, but maybe i misinterpreted what you meant, sorry...i was up all night last night tripping, so...my apologies.

Now you can either read that previous post I mentioned and respond to it and/or respond to this question I am about to ask everyone here which is a question that everyone who has taken psychedelics can answer. It is not one of those unanswerable questions I have been asking. So what I would like to ask is that for anyone who has had a bad trip, does being fully conscious and aware of the horrible feelings and altered mental states during the trip make it worse than being less aware of them in your nightmare?

In other words, does the level of conscious awareness play a role in determining how horrible an experience is for you? You have less conscious awareness in your dreams and nightmares. So would having that lesser awareness make horrible experiences in your nightmares not as bad as being fully aware of them during a bad trip? Or is the level of conscious awareness completely irrelevant to how horrible a certain feeling or altered mental state is for you?

Why is there a difference in awareness between being in a nightmare and being awake? Your brain experiences them the exact same way. You're seeing differences where there are none.

Why is there a difference in awareness between being in a nightmare and being awake? Your brain experiences them the exact same way. You're seeing differences where there are none.

The level of awareness in a dream and nightmare is nothing like being awake. When I experience an image or any other given experience, I am obviously not fully aware (awake). So that is what I mean by not being fully aware in a dream and nightmare. It is not being fully awake.

Is that so? I disagree.

That philosophical debate aside, yes, of course awareness has a relationship to fear, ability to cope, etc.

Is that so? I disagree.

That philosophical debate aside, yes, of course awareness has a relationship to fear, ability to cope, etc.

The only exception I can think of would be a lucid dream where you have more conscious awareness in your dreams and nightmares. But that is still not a fully conscious state. The only way to be in a fully conscious state would obviously to be fully awake. But back to my question. Does having full conscious awareness during a trip/nde make horrible feelings and altered mental states more or less horrible than having less conscious awareness of them during a nightmare?

Last edited:
Matt;

your NDE's are trips whether dreaming or awake,
you should time them if you can.
this can give you a little perspective.

i.e. if the whole NDE which seems like hours is actually completed in 10 seconds or less you will get a measure of your affliction.
consider a similar experience on a drug, which will keep you in an equivalent state to a dream state for hours.
this will magnify your affliction several thousand fold.

nothing I have told you is offered as lighthearted banter. I have spoken with people who suffer in similar ways, it is serious. They also have been obsessive, reluctant to reveal important information, inclined to mask their interests as other interests, and generally disrespectful of well meaning people that they capture in their cat and mouse games.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, don't bite those who reach out just because they did not hit your g-spot the first time.

Anyway, I hope you find what you need in a more appropriate psychological forum - something from childhood is probably driving this nightmare, or maybe you have had brain damage from the army and left that part of the story out too.

Matt;

your NDE's are trips whether dreaming or awake,
you should time them if you can.
this can give you a little perspective.

i.e. if the whole NDE which seems like hours is actually completed in 10 seconds or less you will get a measure of your affliction.
consider a similar experience on a drug, which will keep you in an equivalent state to a dream state for hours.
this will magnify your affliction several thousand fold.

nothing I have told you is offered as lighthearted banter. I have spoken with people who suffer in similar ways, it is serious. They also have been obsessive, reluctant to reveal important information, inclined to mask their interests as other interests, and generally disrespectful of well meaning people that they capture in their cat and mouse games.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, don't bite those who reach out just because they did not hit your g-spot the first time.

Anyway, I hope you find what you need in a more appropriate psychological forum - something from childhood is probably driving this nightmare, or maybe you have had brain damage from the army and left that part of the story out too.

I apologize if I came across as rude and disrespectful. I wasn't trying to at all. I was just simply pointing out how seriously horrible those experiences were in my depressive nightmares. I was just trying to give you more insight into how horrible they were for me. Knowing that it is possible to experience them during a fully conscious nde has taken my life away from me.

The only way to rid of this worry that has taken my life away from me would be if I have complete power against them in my fully conscious state during the nde to where they are simply reduced to normal horrible experiences and not the types of experiences they were in my nightmares which were experiences far beyond horrible. I did mention earlier in my earlier post that a horrible feeling from one of my depressive nightmares lingered onto my waking life was not as bad of an experience as what I've experienced in that nightmare.

Maybe this is because being in a normal wakeful state of reality reduces any horrible experiences to normal ones that are nowhere near as bad as what I experience in my nightmares and I am wondering if this would also apply to any horrible feelings or altered mental states I might experience during an nde since I would also be in a fully conscious state during the nde.

I have never had an nde. But I could experience one someday. So that is why I worry about this and ask this question. I was hoping it could be answered and was hoping the answer would be the one that would ease my mind. If those experiences in my depressive nightmares were just horrible experiences and not that bad, then I wouldn't be obsessively worried about this. But they are far beyond horrible and this obsession is unrelenting and tormenting.

when dreaming and when on psychedelics, mental objects that arise will resonate longer before fading, they may tend to loop, to have trails, to be more intense, more colorful, more pleasurable or more painful and all around more resonant.
what happens in a dream usually happens in a short series of instant frames for which we interpolate the story, and as you emerge from the dream the altered state engages until you are awake when the last echoes or resonance fades.
for the dream to happen so quickly, consciousness looks at things and sees all the way back to how they got that way, connecting up the dots.
to connect the dots quickly it uses what is already connected in your memory.
this is why you cannot change the dream while dreaming it.

the few frames or single frame that you apprehend is the end of the story, you cant change your memory while remembering it so the story is out of control

a good therapist can help you revisit what is in your head and help put in some new associations that will be available the next time you dream, and in that way - through therapy, you can make a bed that will be easier to sleep in.

As pupnik said what you need is to go back to whatever is causing these irrational fears and obsessions, heal it, let go, and move on. Your resolution will not be found in scientists, drugs, avoidance, or fear, but in hard work and effort in healing the root of the issues.

Therapy with a good therapist, not some Western solely scientifically minded looking to diagnose psychiatrist, has completely changed my life and allowed me the freedom and self-expression to live my truest self and move past those fears, traumas, and unresolved emotions that in the past crippled and took my life away from me.

As pupnik said what you need is to go back to whatever is causing these irrational fears and obsessions, heal it, let go, and move on. Your resolution will not be found in scientists, drugs, avoidance, or fear, but in hard work and effort in healing the root of the issues.

Therapy with a good therapist, not some Western solely scientifically minded looking to diagnose psychiatrist, has completely changed my life and allowed me the freedom and self-expression to live my truest self and move past those fears, traumas, and unresolved emotions that in the past crippled and took my life away from me.

The cause of this obsession is that those experiences in my depressive nightmares were far beyond horrible. It is so horrible that there is no way for me to let go of the possibility of experiencing them fully conscious during an nde since to experience them fully conscious would be far worse than experiencing them less conscious during a nightmare. Especially if the nde is a far more intense experience than my nightmares.

So that is why I am obsessed. If those experiences in my nightmares weren't that bad or if I had complete power against them during an nde to where they would be reduced to normal experiences, then I would not be obsessed. I would have no reason to worry.

And you would have no reason to worry were the resulting trauma and fears resolved and dealt with. Seek therapy, it is nothing to be ashamed of.

I think this is the wrong forum for you to be repeating how much you want control over your nightmares
dreams use what is already there
you cannot control them while they happen (in an instant)
you can only build new associations beside what is there in your memory already.
so far all you are adding is your tension and grief.
this makes it worse not better.

And you would have no reason to worry were the resulting trauma and fears resolved and dealt with. Seek therapy, it is nothing to be ashamed of.

That is what I have tried and it is not working so far. So that is the reason why I have instead resorted to asking questions and hopefully getting the answers that would ease my mind.

I think this is the wrong forum for you to be repeating how much you want control over your nightmares
dreams use what is already there
you cannot control them while they happen (in an instant)
you can only build new associations beside what is there in your memory already.
so far all you are adding is your tension and grief.
this makes it worse not better.

That's not what I mean when I say having power against any horrible feeling or altered mental state. What I mean here is for such experiences to be reduced to normal ones that are nowhere near as bad as what I've experienced in my nightmares. In one of my depressive nightmares, I have experienced a horrible indescribable depressive feeling. I had no power against it. What I mean by that is that it was the most horrible experience.

But when that feeling lingered on into my waking life, it wasn't as bad. Therefore, me being in a normal wakeful state of reality must of given me power against that horrible feeling so that it is a normal horrible experience and not as bad as how I've experienced it in my nightmare. Even if that said feeling were more intense than my nightmare, I think it still would not be as bad of an experience as my nightmare.

So I was wondering if this would also apply to any horrible feeling or altered mental state that I would experience during an nde. Since I would be fully conscious during the nde, then I wonder if I would also have that same power against these horrible experiences as well to where they would also be reduced to normal experiences that are nowhere near as bad as my nightmares regardless of how intense and horrible they are during the nde.

I know I already said this, but am repeating it one more time within the context of my clarification of the term 'power.'

Last edited:
think of how long the experience seems to be in the nightmare
then
realize that it actually happened in an instant.
I told you above how that can happen by using existing memory

what happens in the dream actually happened before or is a composite of what you remember in an instant.

you have no power during the dream

you only have power outside of the dream by building associations during therapy sessions.
this is the same for dream, lsd, nde etc.
no power in real time.
much power in using the mind for what it can do, i.e. form associative memories and recall them later in an instant.