• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Ventilation for mushroom incubator - fan blowing air inwards or outwards?

Daddydopedick

Bluelighter
Before reading this post: Bare in mind I aren't growing shrooms in the typical sense. I'm using these "inject and forget" bags. The bags are fully enclosed with valves you use to inject spores and it has its own oxygen release agent and everything else. All you need to do is keep it at the right temperature and it does it's thing on its own, which is why I'm not taking certain aspects into consideration: hence the name "inject and forget."

With that said, as the post describes, I'm making my own incubator with fans.

I say "fans" as in plural, but I'm probably just going to use one fan as the incubator isn't very big, it's a small incubator, but not tiny. I just have two USB 120mm PC fans as it was like, £1.50 extra for another fan, but I think one will be enough - I figured it would be good to have one spare if one broke. The incubator is one of those white electrical boxes you get on the side of houses. I'm going to pad out the inside with that shiny, golden insulation you get and then make a hole on the side for a fan. (I've obviously already washed and disinfected the box.)

What I'm wondering, is whether I should have the fan blowing air in or out of the incubator? Or, should I put a fan on each end and have one blowing in and the other blowing out? - I think that would be too much imo as it would cool it too much, pretty set on one fan.

I know a fan would cool it down but not only is it summer, but I have a 20w heat mat with a dial on it for temp control but I'm thinking about getting one of those seedling heat mats with a thermostat that are more advanced.

I was also thinking if the holes that the fans are being attached to/over are too big, too much heat could be lost and it would be too cool for the incubator/shrooms. Should I make a reasonably small hole and mount the fan over it? - As in the hole shouldn't have the same diameter as the fan (12cm), maybe be half the size?

But yeah, fan blowing in or blowing out? Hole same circumference as fan or smaller? I figured blowing out as that would provide air flow but wouldn't cool it down as much as a fan blowing inwards, I don't think..?

I know I should probably be asking this on The Shroomery, but they're not very welcoming to newcomers and don't really answer your questions, hence why I'm asking here.

Here are some pics of the incubator box so you can get an idea of its size etc (I know it isn't very long height-wise, but these bags sit longways and would fit, I've checked): https://ibb.co/WFxzsq6

(I also know not to place the grow bag directly on the heat mat btw, just to add.)

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance!👍

Its been a few years since I've grown, but as far as I remember you don't want a fan blowing air anywhere, this will only increase chances of getting contamination/mold. It also makes it more difficult to regulate moisture. The natural air flow of the room is plenty. I grew in a small closet with the door always closed, with no fan, and was very successful.

I used big boxes with about 6x 1.5" holes stuffed with filling to limit airflow/contaminants. Bulk/tub tek.

Its been a few years since I've grown, but as far as I remember you don't want a fan blowing air anywhere, this will only increase chances of getting contamination/mold. It also makes it more difficult to regulate moisture. The natural air flow of the room is plenty. I grew in a small closet with the door always closed, with no fan, and was very successful.

I used big boxes with about 6x 1.5" holes stuffed with filling to limit airflow/contaminants. Bulk/tub tek.
Okay, thank you for your insight. Should I just drill multiple holes along the bottom or top of the incubator then (I'm talking on the sides, highly doubt holes in the top of the door would be viable... right)? How many holes should I add to it? I'll give you the dimensions tomorrow as I'm in bed now but from what you can see on the pics, how many holes would you recommend and where? 3-4 on the length along the bottom each side? 2-3 on length and 1-2 on the width along the bottom, all four sides? Or, contrary to my belief of keeping the heat in with lowered holes, are holes along the top more advisable? Just because heat rises and if I place the holes low down it'll keep in the heat easier, I imagine and will be easier for a heat mat with a thermostat to keep it at a set temperature that way - or does air not escape fast enough through holes along the top for this to be an issue? Is there a specific benefit to holes being along the top?

Sorry for all the questions, it's early hours (3:39am), can't sleep and got my typing hat on, can't help it😂

But yeah, any insight/help would legit be suuuuuper helpful, honestly, muchly appreciated!👍

Okay, thank you for your insight. Should I just drill multiple holes along the bottom or top of the incubator then (I'm talking on the sides, highly doubt holes in the top of the door would be viable... right)? How many holes should I add to it? I'll give you the dimensions tomorrow as I'm in bed now but from what you can see on the pics, how many holes would you recommend and where? 3-4 on the length along the bottom each side? 2-3 on length and 1-2 on the width along the bottom, all four sides? Or, contrary to my belief of keeping the heat in with lowered holes, are holes along the top more advisable? Just because heat rises and if I place the holes low down it'll keep in the heat easier, I imagine and will be easier for a heat mat with a thermostat to keep it at a set temperature that way - or does air not escape fast enough through holes along the top for this to be an issue? Is there a specific benefit to holes being along the top?

Sorry for all the questions, it's early hours (3:39am), can't sleep and got my typing hat on, can't help it😂

But yeah, any insight/help would legit be suuuuuper helpful, honestly, muchly appreciated!👍
size/amount of holes depends on what size tub you're going to use to fruit

what tek are you using? were you planning on fruiting straight from the spawn bag?

size/amount of holes depends on what size tub you're going to use to fruit

what tek are you using? were you planning on fruiting straight from the spawn bag?
Hey,

The tub isn't huge but isn't small. I don't know the dimensions but it's one of those white electrical boxes you get on the side of houses. If you scroll up, you'll see one of my posts that has pics of the box and you'll get a good idea of how big it is.

The dimensions are 51cm length, 35.5cm depth and 22.5-23cm height 👍

(Ik I said I didn't know but I was laid in bed then decided to get up and check lol)

So yeah, through your experience what would you advise? I was thinking 4-5 ½" holes along the bottom length-ways and then 2-3 ½" holes along the bottom depth-ways. That sound about right?

Also, I have a 20W heat mat with a dial on but that's all. There's limited control with that, especially with it being warmer through the days then much cooler on the nights. I was going to get a seedling heat mat with a thermostat that turns on when it drops to a set temperature then turns off when it reaches a set temp and so on. They're about £30 on Amazon.

Won't be getting it yet though or the shroom bag. Need to do some saving first, skint😅

Last edited:
Moving to Psychedelic Drugs..

I do apologise, I'm a bit confused now😅When I first posted something like this....I think it was a very similar post to do with shrooms/incubator...I posted it in psychedelics. However, an admin moved it into the category I initially put this post in‽

So, since then, instead of posting in psychedelics, I've been posting posts like this in the category I initially did with this post due to the fact my first post regarding it was moved there.

I'll post it in psychedelics in future though as it makes the most sense to me and you moved it here so🤷‍♂️ Not sure why the other admin moved it into the other one? (I forget the name).

Edit: Ethnobotanicals, that's the one. I didn't actually know what it meant but I looked it up and one definition mentions plant lore amongst other things. With it to do with growing shrooms I guess it makes sense in a way but mushrooms aren't plants so it definitely makes more sense to post in psychedelics. But yeah, I got confused by an admin, forgive me😅

Last edited:
I do apologise, I'm a bit confused now😅When I first posted something like this....I think it was a very similar post to do with shrooms/incubator...I posted it in psychedelics. However, an admin moved it into the category I initially put this post in‽

So, since then, instead of posting in psychedelics, I've been posting posts like this in the category I initially did with this post due to the fact my first post regarding it was moved there.

I'll post it in psychedelics in future though as it makes the most sense to me and you moved it here so🤷‍♂️ Not sure why the other admin moved it into the other one? (I forget the name).

Edit: Ethnobotanicals, that's the one. I didn't actually know what it meant but I looked it up and one definition mentions plant lore amongst other things. With it to do with growing shrooms I guess it makes sense in a way but mushrooms aren't plants so it definitely makes more sense to post in psychedelics. But yeah, I got confused by an admin, forgive me😅
It's really no worry at all. Of course I forgive you. Feel free to post your threads anywhere you want and if we think it belongs somewhere else it is no big deal to move it. You did absolutely nothing wrong.

Self defrosting refrigerators are basically food dehydrator's.
Up to you to find out how Psylocybine reacts to cold. But afaik that is the best place to keep em any way, in other words low temp preserves Psylocybine. so if you have such type of fridge, try it.
It was from here say ;) You should be more or less freeze drying them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-defrost

We used to dry em on a plate on the heating. For immediate consumption.

Last edited:
Go to the shroomery and ask the experts there.

To any narcs reading this: I stopped using all drugs a decade ago, and I do not know of or associate with any dealers or growers.

You shouldn't be venting actively, at all, during any phase. If you're talking post inoculation, just keep them room temp or slightly warmer. Whatever kit you have sounds a little overcomplicated