• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

venlafaxine

dicko89

Bluelighter
I have switched from mirtazapine 45mg I have been on for 2 years and have started venlafaxine 35mg x2 per day they are very different unlike mirtazapine i.e. no sedative effects so having trouble getting to sleep, is anyone else on venlafaxine?

I take 150 mg cant tell if it does anything but since going on it all my suicidal thoughts and actions have went away and its been I think three or two years so I got no complaints * I also take low dose lithium

yea I have noticed my suicidal thoughts had gone they make me think differently,thanks for replying d1nach

It's very subtle it's hard to notice the abscense of something I deff felt mitrazapine when I tried even the low dose idk what mg I felt messed up so I didn't like it. I kinda like in a way the lack of effect of effexor it seems to just work for me without any real noticable side effects.

Venlafaxine is very powerful in higher dosages, ie. 150mg tid of the immediate release formulation or up to 225mg of the extended release formulation. It functions a little differently than the other antidepressants in that it has SNDRI effect in high dosages similarly to cocaine so it can be very stimulating and motivating.

The higher dosages are very effective, IMO. I would try them out. At low dosages all you are getting is a serotonergic effect, a la prozac.

Plus Effexor has opioidergic effects >https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171132/

This makes it a perfect companion to mirtazapine (which is the only other antidepressant with effects on the opioid system - at least commonly used in the US of course...), which also has opioidergic effects and will block the initial unwanted 5-HT2 A and 3 agonism of the the venlafaxine.

Thnk you for that link girlwithbluehair could that be a cause of my pupil constriction after i take my pill??

If Effexor is not agreeing with you, tell your doctor during your next appt; explain to him that more sedating AD's work better for you, and that stimulating ones like Effexor give you insomnia. How long is it until your next appointment? Depending on how far away it is, you might be okay just using Xanax to tide you over for getting to sleep until then.

I think what the doctor was thinking is both mitrazapine and effexor alter seritonin and norepinephrine. Is this a primary care doctor?

I never had any luck sedating myself to sleep have you tried therapy talking about what was on my mind and how to change unproductive overcritical constant internal dialogue really helped me when. Combined with medication

I'm now on the venlafaxine 75mg XL they are brilliant much better than regular 35mg I will up the dose in a few months time I'm slowly tapering off mirtazapine I have boxes and boxes of them 45mg so ill take them now and again.

I also noticed my pupils going larger than normal like I was on speed almost to start off with..but getting used to them now.

That's extremely common with all seritonin reuptake inhibitors and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. When I was in drug rehab they had put me on I think Zoloft and it made my pupils huge and they kept asking if I was on drugs and it was probably the only short time in my life I was sober. But the pupil dilation quickly went away. Please be careful changing pupil size could become hazardous while driving because it makes you unable to accommodate to light. And can mess with your ability to judge distance ECT. Especially the time where your pupil are fluctuating

^ yep mate are like are you sure your not on drugs..I doubt they'd believe me but who cares what the think! they are working wonders for me making my life much easier.

^yep my mates are like what drugs are you taking. But I don't take street shit drugs so who cares what they think! Its my life and these tablets are working wonders for me.

Hi Dicko89! I've been on Venlafaxine for a long time time now, 75 mgs in the morning and 75 mgs at bedtime. I love how they work, they keep my mood level but I wouldn't know I was taking anything at all! I was on a dose of 150 mgs twice a day but it made my stomach jittery, didn't like the feeling at all, so reduced to 75 mg and the bad feeling stopped but I still received the benefits of the med. How long have you been taking the Venlafaxine? As far as the sleep part, I've always had trouble sleeping, just can't shut my brain down. Doc prescribed Trazodone 100 mgs at bedtime and it works wonders!!! LOVE IT!!!!! It doesn't make me groggy, just relaxes me enough to let me get to sleep, and I get a full night of a very peaceful rest, whereas before, I was waking up several times a night and then couldn't get back to sleep, I ended up exhausted! But the combo of 75 mgs of Venlafaxine and 100 mgs of Trazodone works great for a great nights sleep! I highly recommend Trazodone for your sleeping problem.

Mate effexor made me stimulated, was nice at first then I just felt panicky and anxious and my mates also asked if I was on something same when I was on Bupropion which didnt make me as anxious as effexor but when something helps bam take it away as its not approved for depresssion or adhd in the uk only quitting smoking WHICH IT MADE ME NOT LIKE SMOKING AND THEY TAKE IT AWAY NOW I SMOKE LIKE A CHIMNEY grrr doctors
but yeah effexor wont be knocking you out like mirtazapine anytime soon, they could of kept you on both tbh but id hit the effexor on the head ask for duloxetine that tends to be sedating but stimulating the next day not on the level off effexor.

Wait a second, they just took away your anti-smoking meds even though they were working? What was the point in even prescribing something if they were planning to stop it suddenly and let you relapse? Especially since you say it was also helping your depression. My advice would be to find a new doctor. There was some fiasco about certain side-effects (mainly seizures) several years back that meant it was never officially approved for depression, but given that you didn't have any real issues with it and it also helped your smoking, I doubt you'd have trouble getting it prescribed off-label. I'm not sure whether the NHS would cover the cost, however.

I'm also have been on Venlafaxine for the last 4-5 months. Started with 25-50mg, at first it gave me strong headaches and made my body really hot, or rather, made me sweat a lot and put the AC all the time; the later haven't changed, but after a month or two, I had no more headaches.
Then I was upped to 75-100mg, and recently to 125-150mg per day. I also take 300mg Gabapentin/150mg Pregabalin, 20mg Diazepam, and 2,5mg Lorazepam per day because I'm prone to seizures.
Venlafaxine helped me a lot, I also have problem sleeping, but the solution is take the medication in the morning and some downer at night, do some kind of exercise during the day, and eat well too.
I ran out of the med twice and the WD are nasty, but not as bad as everyone says, you can still do things, although you'll feel like shit, so try to take the med regularly. I take the IM version so I have to split the dose between the morning and the afternoon.
Finally, Venlafaxine helped me from having strong suicidal thoughts and also helped somewhat with my general anxiety and neuropathic pain.

Trying so hard to stay alive. Having major problems getting off kratom (30 gms daily), the anxiety and panic might even be worst than coming off tramadol which I was on heavily for 2 years..I started 75 mg venlax er yesterday and feel really disconnected from the world. I also took 7.5 mg mirtzapine at bed last night and it really fucked me up. I just feel non-real..if that's a word. I have an important job interview tomorrow and really worried I can't do it. I wish I had somebody in my life by my side right now. I'm 57 and have been alone for 10yrs now. This is not living. There is nothing worst than this feeling of being trapped in this hell. Why is this happening to good people like myself and others? Fuck man.. :(

Dont beat yourself. Love isn't some magic potion. You cant be any more than your self. Your talking to people right now the reality isn't that you are alone it's that you feel alone and the difference between feelings and perception from reality is huge.
If your glasses are broken and you can't see without them it'll look blurry but the issue isn't out there it's how you perceive it