• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Venlafaxine (effexor) and tramadol damage

Kudos

Bluelighter
After a several month run of daily effexor and then several months more of daily tramadol, I find that it has left me with obvious memory/recall deficits if not all around lower intelligence. It's very hard to get excited about anything, although not in the typical depression sense. More so, it feels like my adrenaline is 'log jammed' or so desensitized that nothing has any 'spark' to it.

This - at least the memory issues- seems pretty well reported anecdotally. Is there anything that can be done for it? Are there any drugs which would potentially reverse whatever effects/damage these two chemicals had?

We can't tell you when you'll get better, sorry. "Time" means discontinuing venlafaxine treatment and working on feeling better.

See your doctor if this is a major issue for you.

I was hoping for something a bit more immediate. Ritalin? Prazosin? Or does 'time' imply abstinence from all drugs?

Yes, only time not using venlafaxine and tramadol will lessen the memory impairment/apathy. Ritalin or Adderall may temporarily improve short-term recall and motivation, but they will not accelerate the "healing process." If anything, they may in fact disrupt it.

Last edited:
It's been about a year now since my last tramadol (preceded by Effexor) use. Ive seen very little improvement in memory/cognition issues and read things like this: http://depression.about.com/b/2006/06/06/effexor-xr-and-memory-loss.htm
Which make me want to jump off a bridge.

Is there anything that can be taken to encourage recovery? Vitamins? Drugs?

Beyond the cognitive symptoms there are clear, concrete alterations in my neurochemistry as evidenced by my reactions to certain things post-tram/Effexor. Ethanol just puts me to sleep where it used to stimulate; psilocin makes me emotionally hysterical and anxious where it used to make me more focused and aware and at peace with everything.....

nootropics, piracetam, choline and all the things alike? a lot of exercise for sure! maybe even bungee jumping martial arts or thing that will make adrenaline flow in your veins!

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DIET, everyone is different, find a pattern of eating that suits you best and GO FOR IT!

i took tramadol every day for a year and after a month or two of low mood and feeling disconnected i was fine.

when we believe we are broken we can find endless support for that notion.

part of depression is foggy thinking so really you might be fine but depressed.

not all depressions feel the same or are as severe and often have different causes

Maybe even low dose ketamine could help for depression, do a search in BL and you will find the right thread.
Some people even swear for its nootropic qualities (me too).

take care

It's been about a year now since my last tramadol (preceded by Effexor) use. Ive seen very little improvement in memory/cognition issues and read things like this: http://depression.about.com/b/2006/06/06/effexor-xr-and-memory-loss.htm
Which make me want to jump off a bridge.

Is there anything that can be taken to encourage recovery? Vitamins? Drugs?

Beyond the cognitive symptoms there are clear, concrete alterations in my neurochemistry as evidenced by my reactions to certain things post-tram/Effexor. Ethanol just puts me to sleep where it used to stimulate; psilocin makes me emotionally hysterical and anxious where it used to make me more focused and aware and at peace with everything.....

Like Ektor said, diet and exercise. Mayyyybe nootropics. But diet and exercise for sure. Take it easy on the processed and sugary foods, and work your butt off at the gym or go for a run, exercise has been shown to increase BDNF

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21722657

Sorry I'm on my iPad and it is a pain in the ass to type long replays -_-

There must have been a reason you were taking tramadol and venlafaxine, both are very effective for depression. Perhaps you had a pre existing condition and you've worsened it with your drug use. Again, only time will tell. Just don't get too hung up on it, I've been a tramadol user on and off for a decade and when I stop I feel out of sorts but not more than a couple of weeks. I guess everyone is different.

Last edited: