• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Varenicline (Champix) - Does it work?

Champix works... My brother quit using champix...

I almost stopped smoking by using champix, but, the nasty side effects hit me one morning when i woke up... Lost part of a gum, (Champix causes sever dry mouth and i had chose to smoke mj the night before) i woke up with part of my upper lip sticking to my gum, i tried getting my tounge inbetween them to lubricate, didnt work, i had to pull my upper lip off resulting in my gum coming off with it...

Stupid me for smoking gang while on it..

Side note - My brother also had some side effects, alot more short tempered then usual... Said he felt like he had drunk 10 bottles of V (no energy, just that anxious/irritable feeling).

^ Not at all. It acts as a partial agonist at the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Which means it reduces cravings, and makes smoking less pleasurable, but does not produce the same full agonist effects that nicotine does.

So I'm assuming that I would be able to continue to smoke marijuana (without tobacco) and use Champix as an aid to reduce nicotine cravings? I would really like to stop smoking tobacco but have no desire to quit pot. Has anyone used champix to quit cigarettes while continuing to smoke green? For me the two have always gone hand in hand, but when I am overseas, I always smoke joints/pipes without tobacco and would like to cut out tobacco altogether.

So I'm assuming that I would be able to continue to smoke marijuana (without tobacco) and use Champix as an aid to reduce nicotine cravings? I would really like to stop smoking tobacco but have no desire to quit pot. Has anyone used champix to quit cigarettes while continuing to smoke green? For me the two have always gone hand in hand, but when I am overseas, I always smoke joints/pipes without tobacco and would like to cut out tobacco altogether.

I don't have any personal experience using this drug but, I know of a couple of people who have used Champix to help them quit tobacco, whilst still using cannabis on a daily basis.

While you're at it, I recommend switching to vaporizing your weed. You will be doing your lungs a huge favor on top of quitting tobacco.

yagecero: As far as I'm aware, there is no problem with smoking weed whilst on varenicline. It may even help relax you when you are feeling on edge during cravings.

Quite a few people I know all went on Champix a couple of years ago to quit smoking. Most of them were also pot smokers, and continued to smoke pot during their course. No problems that I heard of.

Champix works and it doesn't work. I mean, right now I'm on 2 mg of the shit to give up smoking (w/o weed in the mix), but I'm feeling so darn happy right now that I feel that I NEED a cigarette.

I think that no pill will ever be the solution to a person's problems. Mind over matter, explains it all in these types of situations.

Now, bupropion is the bomb. It helped me study like a motherfucker, except thing is I gotta wait another 6 months to get it...:(

Champix works... My brother quit using champix...

I almost stopped smoking by using champix, but, the nasty side effects hit me one morning when i woke up... Lost part of a gum, (Champix causes sever dry mouth and i had chose to smoke mj the night before) i woke up with part of my upper lip sticking to my gum, i tried getting my tounge inbetween them to lubricate, didnt work, i had to pull my upper lip off resulting in my gum coming off with it...

Stupid me for smoking gang while on it..

Side note - My brother also had some side effects, alot more short tempered then usual... Said he felt like he had drunk 10 bottles of V (no energy, just that anxious/irritable feeling).

Dude... You must have gum disease, go see a dentist!

It sort of works... decreases the cravings, but there are still cravings. Much, much better than nothing if you're dropping nicotine.

A bit off topic- but I am trying to quit again, and doing it the old fashioned way. Went to a recent big doof, smoked like a motherfucker. Got back, with my lungs feeling like shit (crackies and nangs did not help LOL), got some nicotine gum, and I'm not smoking. 3 days in, not too bad now. The day before and yesterday was shitty - yelled at people for no good reason. Today, I had some nicorete with my morning coffee (yum!).

I would try champix but I'm on SSRIs, so I don't really want its psychological side effects fucking with the good work I have done in getting rid of my depression. next week I start tapering off the SSRIs.

I'm planning on staying away from booze for a month, and smokers if possible (which means I am going to be a hermit because 90% of my friends smoke). I am saving up for a trip to south america, and with smokes cost me $13 a day. I will save at least $1500 by quitting. Thats a good enough incentive, not to mention the fact I already feel healthier.

i have smoked for 10 years, and it is getting to the stage where I am starting to notice adverse effects on my health. Constant sore throat, slight smokers cough, poor circulation in my hands and feet, and occasional chest pain. Its time to quit. just had an auntie pass away from lung cancer too.

If there are any young bluelighters reading this who are thinking of starting smoking. DON'T. It offers you nothing, is incredibly hard to stop, its expensive. and when you smoke after a while, chances are you will just be smoking to stop yourself from going through withdrawals. you get to a stage where you really don't enjoy it, but just do it because it is a habit.

not looking forward to a few weeks of coughing up shit though.

Last edited:
It may even help relax you when you are feeling on edge during cravings.

That's exactly what I was thinking - it seems to me that pot could contradict almost all of the possible side-effects of Champix. I'll have to make a trip to the doctor soon; I'm so tired of the damage tobacco causes to my lungs (not to mention the cost!), and I tend to be a junky when it comes to cigarettes.

Psilo: Vaporising is definitely on the cards in the future also. One step at a time.

^ Depending on how you react to it, marijuana could possibly worsen some psychological symptoms. I know that cannabis is not a good drug for me to use though, so I know to stay away from it and if it worsens, say, your depression then you know that you should not use it if varenicline is causing that in you.

I love smoking, but I agree with psytaco; it's definitely not a habit I would recommend to anyone. I'm fine with my choices, but my girlfriend is sick of smoking, hates it, wants to stop it but it is very hard for her to do.

Slightly off-topic; I remember when my brother and his friends were around 15 and started copying everything I did, including taking up smoking a pack of Marlboro Reds a day. 8)

^ Thanks for your concern Mr Blonde, but Marijuana has never affected me in a bad way while using it with respect (the story was a little different 10 years ago however). Pot is definitely not for everyone, but for me at least, I find that it always keeps me in good spirits and doesn't impact negatively on my life in the slightest - as long as I stick to my rules of not smoking until nightfall and keeping my usage to a moderate level. I'm interested to know just how champix will affect the cravings; I've tried patches twice and just continued to smoke normally throughout the "quitting" process.

I think there's far too much hype over champix. I quit using champix, (it's been 6 months now!) and yes I did experience some discomfort through adverse side effects but it was worth it for the end result.
I also went on roacutane during my teenage years to deal with me horrible acne, you wana talk horrible side effects? Give that shit a go! But despite going through 10 months of hell on that stuff it was worth getting my self esteem back at the end of it with my now completely acne free skin.

Obviously it would be ideal to quit smoking cold turkey, but unfortunately some people, like myself, just don't have the will power to do it. One thing I will say though, is that as much as the champix help, you actually need to WANT to quit, otherwise your doomed to fail. I've seen a mate of mine fail twice on champix because he thinks champix will just fix his bodies nicotine dependance.

In terms of weed, I continued to smoke cones whilst on champix, I found it quite therapeutic. The champix virtually eliminates your cravings for nicotine, but even so, it's nice to come home after a nice day of not smoking cigarettes and reward yourself with a few cones to unwind with!

i went into the doctor for something else and figured I might get some champix because I want to give up smoking. I am a bit concerned about the risk of depression and suicidal thoughts. I used to suffer depression but dont anymore. I'm also working in a job at the moment that requires alot of interacting with people, so me screaming at someone is not in best interests either.

Anyway, in terms of the depression side effects, will they cease once I stop taking them? Has anyone found that by taking champix that anxiety and depression has been retriggered.

this is all I am really worried about. I'm sick of smoking, and am seeing less and less reason to continue

^ I have not heard of the depression being long lasting if experienced whilst on Champix. If you do start to notice symptoms, I'd go to your doctor immediately especially if your depressive episodes in the past have been severe.

Good luck with quitting! :)

Champix can work if used correctly, but you also have to be ready to quit and have some willpower too IMO.
I quit smoking for 9 months after taking the tablets for about a month. In that time I didn't really go out or drink because as soon as I did I wanted to smoke and eventually did.
I had another crack at the pills and the Doctor got the shits at me and Said the reason I didn't stay quit was because I didn't take the full course of meds, about 16 weeks I think?
Anyway I have since managed to just go cold turkey, I think I was just ready to quit.
I think that managing to give them away the first time with the pills and then on and off a few more times gave me confidence that I could quit? I just kept at it.

I didn't get bad side effects, I got nausea if I didn't eat before taking the pills. I had some pretty vivid dreams but no nightmares, I liked them :)
I did notice I did feel a bit funny the first few days and had more energy...

Good luck it is hard to quit xx

I have a prescription for both lorazepam 2mg & norco (hydrocodone 10mg/acetaminophen 325mg)
I've noticed that the norco no longer seems to work. Does Chantix (that's what it's called in America) have an opiate antagonist effect?
If so, how long after I stop taking Chantix does the opiate antagonist effect go away?
Thanks for your help...
—Issokay

^ I guess that was in relation to -

but, the nasty side effects hit me one morning when i woke up... Lost part of a gum, (Champix causes sever dry mouth and i had chose to smoke mj the night before) i woke up with part of my upper lip sticking to my gum, i tried getting my tounge inbetween them to lubricate, didnt work, i had to pull my upper lip off resulting in my gum coming off with it...
?

I didn't get bad side effects, I got nausea if I didn't eat before taking the pills. I had some pretty vivid dreams but no nightmares, I liked them

Yeah I've heard champix can give you some bizarre dreams.