• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Vaporizing is making me feel sick in the stomach!

Unlucky

Bluelighter
I am having a very odd problem when I vaporize Marijuana, but when I smoke it in a joint or pipe I dont get that sick feeling. By sick feeling I mean the type of symptoms that only effects my digestive tract. It always starts off with this weird sound in my stomach like when a blocked drain pipe suddenly empties and then then my throat gets this full, warm, spewy feeling and I constantly feel the need to burp but when ever I try to burp my mouth just fills up with vomit or stomach acid, I constantly have to swallow my own spit to stop myself from throwing up, this goes on for about 20 minutes. I feel nauseated almost identical to motion sickness. My chest, throat and stomach feels very giddy, sort of like a warm ticklish feeling and my gag reflex spams. I also find my throat very tight and full of thick mucus which comes out in lumpy bits. Sometimes when I try to burp it just hangs there and my stomach spasms violently trying to let out a burp and it just ends up failing. Kinda like that feeling when you need to sneeze but then it doesn't happen.

The thing is at the moment as I type this I feel nicely stoned, I am very calm, my heart rate is slow and relaxed however the ONLY problem is this weird nausea and digestive symptoms and the constant intense feeling of throwing up which I am trying so hard to suppress. Initially I though it was the Cannabonoid vs THC ratio from the selective vaporizing process, so I turned the heat up on the dial to try and release more of the Cannabonoids which require a higher temperature so it is more similar to the combustion that happens when smoking a joint but for some odd reason it just made my stomach worse. Sometimes the vomity feeling remains for several hours after vaporizing and it well precedes the cannabis high. I have found that drinking a glass of water makes it a lot worse and makes me feel like throwing up even more as it slides down my constricted throat like a slimy eel.

I should make note that I already have an existing Neurological condition due to a damaged Autonomic Nervous system, so my body reacts in odd ways but in this case the problem is not the cannabis but the vaporizing process which I hope you guys can help me identify what it is specifically causing this ?

Last edited:
you can take bigger rips off of a vape and they burn way deeper. if youre not used to it it could cause you to choke and want to puke. people with newb lungs usually feel like puking after smoking or taking a good hit

Okay but it does not happen when I smoke a joint, I have never had ANY type of digestive symptoms from smoking, it only happens with vaporizing and it happens 10 - 15 minutes after a vape hit just as the effects of the high begins to set in. It is more in conjunction with the high rather then the vape inhalation. Right now the majority of the warm icky feeling feeling is coming from my gag reflex in my throat but furthermore I also have a lot of thick mucus clogging up my throat which is never there when I smoke joints, It has something to do with process of vaporizing that doesn't happen when smoking, I desperately need to identify which part of the vaporizing process is causing it.

Is it possible you are swallowing some of the vapor, instead of inhaling it?

I recommend turning your vaporizer into a Dutch Vaporizer (i.e. add a water filter to the vapor). Filter that vapor through some water (bong) and see if it makes a difference for you. The Dutch have been doing this for decades, so don't be afraid to try it...

I was actually considering the Dutch vaporizer but I hadn't got around to doing it yet, I had a few suspicions on the what could be causing this, first I was using a home made vaporizer so I thought maybe it was the glass jar releasing bad fumes, so I went out and bought a Volcano vaporizer but then found the problem is still happening. I tried to figure out what it is that a vaporizer does differently to smoking a joint so I could work out the problem, so then I realized that the cannabinoids don't get vaporized at the same temperature as the THC so I turned the heat up, but still had the same problems as before. So now that leaves the remaining possibilities...

1- The dry vaporizer smoke is irritating my throat and digestive lining and attaching a water pipe to the vaporizer may solve this as you suggested.

2- The fertilizers and chemicals in the plant are the problem because when you vaporize the chemicals don't get burned off and instead you inhale them too ?

3- There is some other reason altogether..

This happens to me too, yet this is one of the only instances I was able to find that matches up with my situation. At first I thought, since switching to vaping gave me a marked lack of munchies, that it was drinking tea on an empty stomach causing the slight stomach discomfort (due to bitterness of the tannins). However, after quitting tea for a few days and the stomach discomfort subsided, it would continue to crop up again like clockwork when I chose to vape. It seems logical that some of the cannabinoids that are not getting vaporized are perhaps responsible for counteracting that feeling, that they all work in conjunction to create the intended high with minimal negative side effects upon combustion of the material.

That's my best guess, but it's curious that so few people seem to have this problem. I'm going to try smoking again today after a couple weeks of vaping exclusively to see if the bloated feeling returns, because it had never previously been a concern when smoking. If it does happen, I suspect it might be 'some other reason altogether', as you mention.

Of course Unlucky has been AWOL for a good five years or so now... :\

it could be that you are swallowing smoke and maybe has something to do with how you are inhaling the smoke.

I've heard a handful of people say that smoking weed causes them stomach pain. I experience it myself from time to time as a regular heavy smoker. not sure what causes it but my guess is that it has something to do with whatever is causing the "munchies". It seems like sometimes I get the munchies and sometimes instead I get mild stomach pain.

either way, eating seems to help.