• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Vaping vs smoking dry marijuana herb (vs dabbing wax) - potency difference?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I'd read smoking "burns" it, evidently, which can kill up to 70% of the potency;

No idea if there's any truth to this, but presumably vaping precludes this = more potency, less herb.

Opinions?

Edit: having no experience with marijuana, I've read "dabbing" is also a favorable way to ingest.
Does this yield significant different in effect?

Last edited:
dunno about potency but I find it changes the nature of the hit

I often find vaping more 'heady' than smoking, which I put down to some of the cannabinoids not vapourising at the temps I use, but then again combustion probably destroys/alters some cannabinoids too.

So difficult to measure cannabis hit in general by any metric -so many variables and a lot of subjectivity. And also a difficult thing to communicate, language just doesn't cut it sometimes

dunno about potency but I find it changes the nature of the hit

I often find vaping more 'heady' than smoking, which I put down to some of the cannabinoids not vapourising at the temps I use, but then again combustion probably destroys/alters some cannabinoids too.

So difficult to measure cannabis hit in general by any metric -so many variables and a lot of subjectivity. And also a difficult thing to communicate, language just doesn't cut it sometimes

Using indica strains to treat insomnia.

From that point of view, your opinion would a vaporizer or combustion method be preferred?

Using indica strains to treat insomnia.

From that point of view, your opinion would a vaporizer or combustion method be preferred?
Either, I wouldn't be sleepy for 30 mins at least after a vape though

Edit - I do think Indica=sedating / Sativa=uplifting is a bit of a myth though abd most strains are reasonably balanced hybrids thesedays anyway

Having said that I've been using a strain called The Black lately which is mos def sedating and apparently very Indica-dom

Last edited:
Either, I wouldn't be sleepy for 30 mins at least after a vape though

Edit - I do think Indica=sedating / Sativa=uplifting is a bit of a myth though abd most strains are reasonably balanced hybrids thesedays anyway

Having said that I've been using a strain called The Black lately which is mos def sedating and apparently very Indica-dom
i.e. the sedation comes on quicker via smoking?

I believe the act of combustion creates various minor psychoactive chemicals not found when vaping which modulate and create the noticeable difference between smoking vs vaping. (not 100% sure about this)

I definitely highly prefer smoking to vaping

i.e. the sedation comes on quicker via smoking?
fine margins iirc, loads of variables

haven't smoked weed before bedtime for a while, prefer a nice heavy quality hashish myself for that, and always usually leave it 45 minutes at least after ingesting to go to sleep, weed or hash, indica or sativa, smoked or vaped.

if you want really good sedation from cannabis i suggest a 50mg thc edible and go to bed between 4 and 5 hours after consuming....zzzzzzz...

Also - "dabbing" - experience/thoughts on this method?

Basically looking for the safest (least health degrading) means to ingest.

Also - "dabbing" - experience/thoughts on this method?

Basically looking for the safest (least health degrading) means to ingest.
Concentrates are generally gonna be less heavy on the cbd side of things, if that’s what you’re looking for. I find dabs to be extremely stimulating actually, but weed in general also is sort of a mental upper for me so take that with a grain of salt I guess

I would honestly use a tincture if you’re lookin for the safest