• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Valium vs Klonopin

GregSmith20

Greenlighter
Is Valium really more addictive than Klonopin?
It seems doctors don't want to use it.
I'm prescribed klonopin for anxiety but think I would do better with Valium.

Last edited:
I think this is due to widespread abuse of diazepam when it came out on the market. There's a mindset that some doctors have in which they prefer clonazepam/lorazepam to diazepam/alprazolam (this because it's the most abuse benzo in US I think).

Edit: So no, neither is more addictive.

Different drugs.

You don't mention the dose ?
IMO, clonazepam is more dangerous. Diazepam is more sedating, and tolerance to the sedative properties usually develops quickly. Less so with clonazepam. Also, diazepam has a relative short duration of action but it accumulates extensively with active metabolites.

For infrequent use and low doses, 5-10 mg diazepam is preferable IMO.

No sources ...

Last edited:
The two explanations I got:

"klonopin works more than valium"
"a lesser dose will achieve therapeutic benefits"

Yeah it's true. Valium stays in the body longer but its effects last for a shorter period than those of klonopin. Of course klonopin doesn't have the stigma attached to it. I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that valium has a more hypnotic effect, which makes it less useful. The z-drugs are pretty effective at inducing sleep if a narcotic is actually needed, and people need drugs that allow them to function while they complete their duties in the daytime.

You will not have as severe withdrawals with Valium as you would with Klonopin. Valium stays in your system much longer. Benzodiazepines work, that answer will never be wrong but understand you will be chained to these drugs if you become a user legal or illegal. They will get rid of anxiety and I assure you that you misuse your prescription or this drug it comes back ten fold. Your question has been covered by a number of us.

Remember they are no game. Please do not get yourself into more than you can handle. A few months of this drugs and you will have problems discontinuing its use, trust me.

I've been on 1.5 mg for about a year.
I have stomach pain that only seems to respond to benzos as far as I can tell.

So you don't understand drugs. There are many reasons that prevent us from having an unbiased look at drugs and ourselfs.

Anyway, benzodiazepines are merely band aids for stress. There are many legitamite reasons for their usage. To make this short, going to a doctor and having a genuine health check up, is a great HR idea.

I dont mean that you don't have a genuine reason for using them. I want to make sure it's understood that you could have an underlying issue that a coverup may not be the best.

take that anyway you want.

IMO, Valium helps you get more specific with your feelings. It has a lot of theriputic value, but besides the great halflife and easy(easier subjectively) withdrawal compared to other benzodiazepines, it would suck to get strung out on these or any other benzodiazepine. Clonazepam works great, simpler and more of a maintence dose benzodiazepine. Please use benzodiazepines responsibly.

Last edited:
I've been to the doctor and asked about IBS or any other things that could be causing the stomach pain.

The pain didn't start till I went through withdrawal from Klonopin and it's continued ever since then. So I'm pretty sure it's a direct result of the klonopin.

If the equivalence is as Ashton manual states, then one clonazepam 2 mg tablet is equivalent to 40 mg of diazepam, and there are no such tablets of diazepam. Subjectively one tablet looks a smaller dosage, as 4 (ar even 8 tablets of diazepam), and lots of people end by using "only one" clonazepam tablet. I think this can lead to excessive clonazepam usage and more problems with clonazepam, as diazepam.

Greg,

That's a very good reason to stop taking it. With or without a taper. You really don't want to get in my situation (don't even ask!).
It would be very hard to do that, btw ... but it's a very dangerous drug, it is stronger than it 'feels'.

1.5 mg seems more for a serious panic disorder than for anxiety. Ask yourself this question: would you take 30 mg of diazepam a day for anxiety ? For me, that would have been too obvious.
If you wouldn't have any tolerance, 5-10 mg of diazepam might work. Still not recommended for every day, long term use.

Greg,

That's a very good reason to stop taking it. With or without a taper. You really don't want to get in my situation (don't even ask!).
It would be very hard to do that, btw ... but it's a very dangerous drug, it is stronger than it 'feels'.

1.5 mg seems more for a serious panic disorder than for anxiety. Ask yourself this question: would you take 30 mg of diazepam a day for anxiety ? For me, that would have been too obvious.
If you wouldn't have any tolerance, 5-10 mg of diazepam might work. Still not recommended for every day, long term use.

klonopin isnt 20 times stronger than diazepam,more like 10 times

These drugs are different. Valiums action lasts alot shorter kolonopin Is longer. Kpins are stronger, valium is typically the benzo used to taper one off of a high dose of kolonopin for example, or librium which is rarely used now a days. Valium is also more recreational. This isn't like two types of strains of pot and one has a higher thc percent. These drugs have mostly different details besides both being benzos. Valium has a long half life, that does not mean it works that long though it's just in your system and you won't generally crave it that long

They're both addicting.

But I must agree in equivelant doses Valium is more euphoric than Klonopin.

Though, I chose Klonopin over Valium when I was talking to my doctor about meds.

I'm thinking of switching though, I have a script for 60 2mg Xanax and 60 1mg Klonopin a month from my psychiatrist.

60 2mg Xanax + 60 10mg Valium sounds better I think.. both max dose per tablet.

Here I come Valium.

Methacodone,

I would caution you against taking both drugs together.
They can potentiate each other. Especially diazepam, which is always in your system.

I've been on benzos for years.

i always combine benzos,

Alprazolam + Clonazepam

Alprazolam + Lorazepam

Alprazolam + Diazepam

not to mention with strong opiates, such as Heroin, Oxycodone, Dilaudid, Buprenorphine, etc.

I wonder if I tell my doctor or new doctor I've had to resort to getting benzos other ways if they'd write for more

A bit depending on where you live and your doc/patient relationship, but it seems risky ...

So I don't know that I'm ready to give up on benzos. I was hoping if I got a large enough dose I could fix this problem with my stomach.