• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

valium Its more addictive than herion

foolsgold

Bluelighter
Drug that steals women's lives: It's more addictive than heroin, with horrifying side-effects. So why, 50 years after its launch, is Valium still given to millions?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ing-effects-given-millions.html#ixzz2MssUoQvM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

With her wedding day fast approaching, Baylissa Fredericks was increasingly worried about a nervous tic in her eyelid.

She'd suffered the problem since early childhood, but was so concerned about it drawing attention to her for all the wrong reasons on her big day that she visited her GP.

Sadly, the drug prescribed by her doctor on that day in 1998 for what, in retrospect, seems like a trivial problem, has blighted 49-year-old Baylissa's life ever since.

Valium has left her suffering around 40 seizures a day, during which her whole body jerks uncontrollably, sometimes for several minutes on end. 'It happens through the night as well, sometimes twice in an hour,' she says. 'I haven't had a complete night's sleep since 2005, so I am constantly exhausted and forgetful.'
Valium's legacy is a vast group of people suffering appalling permanent withdrawal symptoms

Valium's legacy is a vast group of people suffering appalling permanent withdrawal symptoms

Baylissa is suffering the devastating effects of a tranquiliser more commonly associated with Sixties housewives, but which is still widely prescribed 50 years after it was first launched in Britain. One of the benzodiazepine family of drugs, Valium is more addictive than heroin but is used by 1.5 million people in this country to treat wide-ranging problems including anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, muscle spasms, restless legs syndrome and alcohol withdrawal.

After its launch, the drug - now known as diazepam after the brand name Valium was dropped amid controversy over the scale of its use - was dubbed 'mother's little helper' and quickly became the pill for every ill, dished out in profligate quantities to anyone struggling with the travails of daily life. Sixty per cent of users were women.

More...

It's not just the menopause that makes a woman's 50s the hardest decade of her life
Life in the slow lane's not just for losers
Flapper chic is back in vogue as Louis Vuitton shows delicate slips, furs and mannish coats at PFW - with both Cara and Kate on the catwalk

Valium's 50th birthday is no cause for celebration. Its legacy is a vast group of people suffering appalling permanent withdrawal symptoms so severe they are unfit for work, relationships or even independent living.

Baylissa took Valium for eight years. 'It was vanity that made me ask the doctor for something to stop my facial tic - something I now bitterly regret.' Now a counsellor living in Cardiff, South Wales, she explains: 'It did stop the tic on my wedding day, but I felt so sedated I was like a zombie.'

She continued taking Valium and when her facial tic got worse, her doctor simply increased the dose. After three years her marriage started to founder. 'I found somewhere else to live, but by then I was having trouble remembering things and finishing sentences.
Baylissa took Valium for eight years: 'It was vanity'

Baylissa took Valium for eight years: 'It was vanity'

'I didn't realise the tranquilisers were causing these problems and thought I needed more of the drug to help me, but the doctor said I was on too high a dose for him to increase it any further.'

Worried about what Valium might be doing to her after six years, Baylissa started researching the drug on the internet and was shocked by what she read. People reported memory loss, dementia, paranoia, hallucinations and excruciating pain, either as a result of being on the drug or coming off it.

'I immediately consulted my doctor, who said I'd have to stay on it for the rest of my life because the withdrawal symptoms would be so bad.'

But Baylissa was determined to wean herself off it. 'I didn't get any help from the doctor, and the whole thing took about a year. The seizures got worse, though, and now I don't know if I will suffer them for the rest of my life.'

Her neurologist has confirmed that her enduring health problems are caused by her taking Valium for nearly a decade, but says there is nothing that can be done to help her. Baylissa has written a book for people who have experienced problems with the drug and also runs a helpline, Recovery Road, for people affected by dependency on, and withdrawal from, benzodiazepines.

'I was lucky,' she says. 'Although I have long-term problems, what happened to me is nothing compared to what others have gone through.'

Sian Hurd, a 46-year-old mother of five and the daughter-in-law of the former British foreign secretary Douglas Hurd, jumped to her death from the roof of the family home in New York last year while under the influence of a benzodiazepine she was taking for insomnia. Sian's father, Roland Aubrey, a retired GP, pointed out at her inquest that drugs like the one his daughter was taking 'exacerbate morbid ideas and affect the balance of the mind'.

Valium's pernicious legacy has touched everyone from schoolgirls and poverty-stricken single mothers to middle-class divorcees and wealthy socialites. In some cases, distraught addicts resort to suicide: Department of Health figures show the drug is implicated in 300-500 deaths a year in this country.
Despite having alarming side-effects, Valium had become one of the world's best-selling drugs

Despite having alarming side-effects, Valium had become one of the world's best-selling drugs

But the scale of the problem has been largely ignored. Despite guidelines dating back to 1988, which warn doctors to limit the prescribing of this potent and controversial drug, clinicians have found it an effective way to handle many hard-to-diagnose, hard-to-treat patients.

There are now 183 different formulations of Valium-derived medications. Doctors in Britain issue almost 18 million prescriptions a year for them, and every GP has at least 180 long-term users on their books.

While the nation's 250,000 to 300,000 heroin users are offered substantial help from the NHS to kick their addiction, benzodiazepine addicts receive relatively little support.

Despite being highly addictive and having alarming side-effects, Valium had become one of the world's best-selling drugs by the mid-Seventies.

It was originally manufactured by Hoffmann La Roche, but the company lost its patent protection in 1985. Some 500 different versions of the drug were subsequently marketed by different companies worldwide.
Fiona Orr, 55, was 16 when she started suffering acute stomach pain and vomiting

Fiona Orr, 55, was 16 when she started suffering acute stomach pain and vomiting

Today, Clare Gerada, president of the Royal College of General Practitioners, insists that none of her members are condemning new patients to long-term use of the drugs. But she says: 'It's often simply too dangerous to take an addict off these drugs [because of the side-effects]. Going on prescribing them may be the best option.'

Malcolm Lader, emeritus professor at the Institute of Psychiatry, has devoted more than 40 years to campaigning against Valium and its derivatives. He says: 'Doctors have ignored warnings for years, but we need to stop more people going on benzodiazepines.'

Fiona Orr, 55, is one of the many whose lives have been dulled by Valium from a young age. She was 16 when she started suffering acute stomach pain and vomiting in 1975. Fiona's GP believed she had torn a stomach muscle and referred her to a surgeon who, after only a cursory examination, wrote to the GP describing her as a 'neurotic young woman'.

He recommended she be prescribed the fashionable panacea of the age: Valium. 'It had a dramatic and instant effect,' says Fiona. 'I was in a lesson at school and I suddenly couldn't move my legs. It was frightening.'

Fiona was taken to the sick bay, where she slept soundly for the rest of the day. Within weeks of taking that first Valium pill, Fiona, who lives in St Albans, Hertfordshire, was hooked on the drug - an addiction that was to last 36 years.

Throughout her teens she took Valium, as well as another benzodiazepine drug, Ativan. Together, she says, these drugs denied her a career and a normal social life.

Fiona realised she was dependent on the drugs, but remained convinced they were keeping depression, anxiety, pain and insomnia at bay. Fiona married her husband Bryan, now a 71-year-old retired computer programmer, the year after she graduated from university.

He knew about her Valium use from the start, and accepted that dependency on the drug was part of her life.
Fiona realised she was dependent on the drugs, but remained convinced they were keeping depression at bay

Fiona realised she was dependent on the drugs, but remained convinced they were keeping depression at bay

They went on to have two daughters. 'I don't think I was a great mother,' says Fiona. 'I was snappy, neurotic and hyper-sensitive, and there's no question that my using Valium had a massive effect on the children. 'There was one year when I just sat in bed and read. I was like a zombie.' Thankfully, Bryan was able to keep the family together.

It was on a holiday to France in April 2011 that Fiona made the life-changing decision to stop taking Valium. 'I didn't take enough with me - I don't know if that was on purpose or not - and we were sitting in a cafe one day when I had a panic attack, mewling like a puppy.

'People were staring and it was awful, but it took about three weeks for the real withdrawal symptoms to appear. By then I was whimpering and shaking the whole time, I couldn't sleep, I was depressed and just exhausted.' Back home, with no further help from her GP, Fiona sought information about Valium withdrawal on the internet and tackled her long-term dependency by gradually reducing her dose to zero over five months.

'It was absolute hell,' she says. 'I felt sick, I had long periods of shaking uncontrollably, excruciating muscle cramps, and all the symptoms of severe flu. I couldn't go out, leave the house at all, or do anything at all.'

But she has now been off Valium since April last year, has started work as a school cleaner, and has lost two stone in weight thanks to her increased level of physical activity.

'I'm a different person now,' she says. 'I can't believe Bryan has put up with all this, and I feel terribly guilty about what I have put my whole family through. I can never get back all the years I lost.'
Lynda Buckley's Valium addiction took hold with the collapse of her marriage in 1992

Her doctor thought Valium would help Lynda, who has two sons, through this difficult time, and before long she was taking the maximum dose. That went on for more than ten years. 'I went along with it because I was told it was what I needed,' she says. 'But it was a distressing and stressful time for all of us, and I knew I was dependent on it.'

Lynda, now 66, finally stopped taking the drug in 2005. 'I did it by myself over six weeks by cutting the tablets into quarters and gradually reducing the dose,' she says.

'I had terrible withdrawal symptoms including dreadful muscle twitching, and could hardly walk up a staircase.

'I was determined to stay off the tranquilisers, but I've been told that a lot of the symptoms I've been left with - memory loss and difficulty finding words - are because I cut down too quickly and have caused myself permanent damage.

'Three years ago I had a heart attack, which I was told may well have been connected with the drug,' says Lynda, who lives in Crawley, West Sussex, and does not work. 'I suffer tinnitus and muscle pain but I do think I'm slowly getting better,' she says.

Britain's growing addiction to sleeping pills and tranquilisers has prompted a series of reviews by doctors and public health chiefs.

Heather Ashton, emeritus professor of pharmacology at Newcastle University, told a meeting of the British Medical Association in January that nine out of ten GPs do not offer any sort of help to wean people off these drugs. 'We are stuck in a slough of inertia and ignorance,' she said.

Meanwhile Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has asked the public health minister, Anna Soubry, to look at the scale of the problem and consider what steps should be taken to support addicts.

Whatever the outcome, it is likely to come too late for many of the 1.5 million people whose lives have been blighted by their addiction.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ing-effects-given-millions.html#ixzz2MssdCCeC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What a load of rubbish.

Doctors here (u.k) hardly ever prescribe benzos. Unless you got private healthcare...

There are underlying issues that can be exacerbated by benzo dependence. These alarmist stories are not typical of the many patients prescribed benzos responsibly who do not become dependent on them and who don't expect a pill to solve everything (in other words, they can be effectively used short-term -- or even longer-term, if not used daily -- and help people; they've helped many, especially along with other measures).

I'm not saying they are always prescribed responsibly or always have been, but this is coverage is alarmist and unbalanced. Anecdotal: my neighbor has been on daily benzos for eight years. She is out of work at the moment but doesn't blame that on benzos, and she is glad they help her cope given her extreme agoraphobia and panic attacks. She is, however, physically dependent on them, and would need time and support to wean off.

I have had a benzo script for about four years now. While I've become addicted to other things, I've never become addicted to benzos, and my doc and I have an understanding that if I ever find myself taking them daily for two weeks, it's time to talk about a different approach, so we can avoid physical addiction. My doc is certainly prescribing responsibly, and my neighbor's doc certainly weighed all the pros and cons and had her try a bunch of other things before continuing to write the benzo script. She might be physically dependent on them now, but without them she couldn't leave the house or hold down a job. Perhaps neither of us are typical, and certainly they've been prescribed irresponsibly before, but that's no reason to demonize the class of drugs or everybody who takes them.

I think this article is mainly accusing the United States, which I agree with. I know at least one person who became strung out on alprazolam after getting a legitimate prescription.

Doctors here (u.k) hardly ever prescribe benzos. Unless you got private healthcare...
^ Had to go through a lot of shit before my dentist decided to prescribe me diazepam, and I only got two 5mg pills anyway.

Seemed sorta legitimate until I realised it was from the Daily Mail, and any drug will fuck you up if you take it every day for years and you're dependent on it all the time.

Hyperbole aside, there is a grain of truth to this article. For those that have a propensity for down-regulated gaba-a receptors (possibly why the person has an anxiety/panic disorder in the first place), once dependency to a benzodiazepine has developed, withdrawal can be excruciating. There are some that don't experience intense withdrawal, but there are others (a rather small subset of benzodiazepine-dependent people) where they are left what is long-term gaba-a down regulation; that is a state of being no sentient person should EVER have to suffer through.

I don't think that doctors should abstain from prescribing a benzodiazepine, as they are very effective tools in combating anxiety, panic, excited delirium, alcohol and opiate withdrawal, and recurrent insomnia. What doctors should be aware of however, is that taper regimens should ALWAYS be as gradual as is effectively possible, and that patients should have full control over their taper. Believe it or not, quitting benzodiazepines can be extremely disruptive, to say the least when it is not a conscious decision of the patient and when the patient is not prepared.

Last edited:
Hyperbole aside, there is a grain of truth to this article. For those that have a propensity for down-regulated gaba-a receptors (possibly why the person has an anxiety/panic disorder in the first place), once dependency to a benzodiazepine has developed, withdrawal can be excruciating. There are some that don't experience intense withdrawal, but there are others (a rather small subset of benzodiazepine-dependent people) where they are left what is long-term gaba-a down regulation; that is a state of being no sentient person should EVER have to suffer through.

I don't think that doctors should abstain from prescribing a benzodiazepine, as they are very effective tools in combating anxiety, panic, excited delirium, alcohol and opiate withdrawal, and recurrent insomnia. What doctors should be aware of however, is that taper regimens should ALWAYS be as gradual as is effectively possible, and that patients should have full control over their taper. Believe it or not, quitting benzodiazepines can be extremely disruptive, to say the least when it is not a conscious decision of the patient and when the patient is not prepared.

I agree that prescription and tapering should be done responsibly. Benzo WD is no joke and it can be extremely dangerous. ("If you have the balls" is a really ignorant thing to say; stopping long-term benzo use cold turkey is NOT a good idea.) I'm just saying that this article is unbalanced and alarmist. It's largely anecdotal. I could write another one just like it, giving the other side of the story; I imagine I'm as qualified to do that as the original author was to write this one, probably more qualified since I actually studied this class of drugs before I accepted a prescription for them (and it does not appear the journalist who wrote this piece did any such thing). If it is true that 9 out of 10 GPs in GB do not offer support for people trying to wean off them, then that should indeed warrant attention. But this, as a conclusion:

Whatever the outcome, it is likely to come too late for many of the 1.5 million people whose lives have been blighted by their addiction.

... is just stupid, alarmist, sensational, and irresponsible.

I didn't read the whole article, it seems to be warranted though. Even though it is supposed to be a surprising title, it wasn't to me. I have known for a long time the light reputation that benzo's have with the shockingly rough addictive qualities and withdrawal symptoms. I can safely say I would rather withdraw from opiates than benzos ANYDAY!

My aunt was admitted to hospital after more than 30 years of taking valium daily. Her doctor thought it was at that point, unnecessary. She was immediately taken off the valium (no taper, no replacement) and she died within 48 hours. I was not there so I can't know exactly how, but I had heard she was suffering pretty strong seizures which she had never experienced before (because she always had her valium) I am convinced that valium withdrawal killed my aunt (more like Toronto's east general hospital!)

Opiates have a certain allure. Most people enjoy the high/relief. The relief that comes from valium is indescribable. Most any person would realize positive effects from their first dose of valium. Personally, I am not viciously anxious on a day to day basis, but there is something there. I by no means require a script, but I do use benzos from time to time. When I do, I am a sharp, witty and charming guy. I have good (instead of awkward) conversations with good looking girls and have none of those awkward feelings. I am sure most people realize such positives while under valiums influence... I think this makes it extra addictive (considering I dont think that benzos are recreational, it is wild how addictive they are)

diazepam is not more addictive, it creates one hell of a dependence though. Big difference there. I've been dependent/addicted to benzos and opiates and opiates are far more addictive. They actually provide consistent euphoria whereas benzos lose their fun realllly fast. Never the less i chose benzo dependence over opiate dependence/addiction in my life as i'm more functional, that's why valium exists today. Not to mention you can't really overdose on it alone, psychologically and physically safe except for the withdrawals.

none of my detoxes from benzos have been anywhere near as bad as any of my detoxes from any opioid

Benzos are fantastic when a person first starts on them. They fix EVERYthing.

In so doing, benzodiazepines switch out from being the *solution* to being the *problem*.

Heroin does not fuck with people in the same way. If I use heroin, I know full well it's *heroin*. I bought it from an individual who is dealing illegal drugs and willing to risk everything to sell heroin.

If I take Xanax, my doctor of all people has given me a prescription for it. I take that to a pharmacy and a person getting paid (with benefits) sells me the Xanax in a *store*, legally.

Heroin is always heroin no matter what. Xanax starts out being as useful as antibiotics...

I dont understand why her doctor lets her have fucking siezures everyday? Just keep her on the valium forever.

I dont understand why her doctor lets her have fucking siezures everyday? Just keep her on the valium forever.

I didn't get this either. The lady might have epilepsy and needs medication for that.
I've never heard of diazepam causing seizures, unless during withdrawals.

I honestly think heroin is way, way more addictive than benzos. Just my 2 cents. I have never had a benzo problem.

Hi Captain~!

It's been awhile. I hope you are doing well. I never get out to LA anymore, but I miss ya~~

I submit that you might feel differently about heroin and benzos a couple decades hence.

%)

the article in no way even attempts to demonstrate that its claim of valium being more addicting then heroin is true

it simply states it as fact n then gives horror stories from a few people who've had difficulty because of valium/other benzos

while not specifically saying it, it reads as if benzos dont actually help those in need and that it should not be prescribed at all

im not doubting benzo WD is worse then heroin WD, but i dont think a drugs addiction potential can be solely measured by WD/possibilty of WD to be lethal.

sidenote: i have had one helluva time trying to get benzos outta Dr.s. no dr wants to give me any CIV benzodiazepines but they had no qualms giving me CII Amphetamines as a 10-11 year old child. some drs say they wont prescribe em at all, some say i personally dont need em n some say because of my adderall rx its unethical to also give me benzos. whatever the case may be, there must be something about my face that Dr.s just see n decide i aint givin this dude any tranquilizers