• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Valerian Root

Hannah Capps

Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So
Benzodiazepines make me feel like a zombie…I’m finding that Valerian (presumably what the synthetic Valium comes from) helps me sleep and calm down without having next day hangovers from sleeping pills or memory loss and doing something I don’t remember consciously😬

Curious if anyone else has experience with valerian root?

Thanks

Yes, I take some Valerian every night. Actually a blend of herbs: passionflower, valerian, skullcap, and lemon balm (oil extract). These all have nice gabagenic activity. I think valerian has the most. What do you mean by synthetic valium exactly? I take valium and find these can compliment it pretty well. I should come off the valium at some point, it's already been about a year since I was first put on it, 5mg at first, then 10, now up to 15. I was off it for a little bit but a lot has gone wrong the past few months and it's been a saving grace in some ways.

I just figured it was the chemical form of valerian root both are very sedating… if you look at the wording it makes sense…pharma is known for taking natural remedies and making them chemical drugs…

Yea tried an extract once that had me fucked up in a not so good way long into the next day. It took forever to hit too. Kind of a dizzyeffect any time I tried to stand up.

I’ve tried many Valerian extracts and that was the only one to do that. Most work like any other sleepy herb extract.

-GC

I have tried valerian root a few years back when I was basically drug free (other than phenibut every three days and kratom :LOL: ) but was just using to keep stable enough to work cause I had dropped heavy usage of opioids and benzodiazepins all at once and felt the combo was helping me cope.
I do believe the valerian was helpful in keeping a calm-ish demeanour after going through one of the worse episodes of my life. Could it have been placebo? Possibly... but I still look back and think it has some calming effects.
daily valerian can lead to tolerance and light benzo flavored rebounds/withdrawals
Damn... I would not expect this from a natural element but can see how it could in retrospect. Like anything else we take for whatever reason.
For the past 3 weeks I have cut almost all sugar from my diet and think I felt a bit different (low? )after a few days but now seem to be more energetic and clear-headed. Hard to describe. Now sweets do not have a "draw" to me and I used to be a munchie big time for any sweets.
Life is weird. lol

I have tried valerian root a few years back when I was basically drug free (other than phenibut every three days and kratom :LOL: ) but was just using to keep stable enough to work cause I had dropped heavy usage of opioids and benzodiazepins all at once and felt the combo was helping me cope.
I do believe the valerian was helpful in keeping a calm-ish demeanour after going through one of the worse episodes of my life. Could it have been placebo? Possibly... but I still look back and think it has some calming effects.

Damn... I would not expect this from a natural element but can see how it could in retrospect. Like anything else we take for whatever reason.
For the past 3 weeks I have cut almost all sugar from my diet and think I felt a bit different (low? )after a few days but now seem to be more energetic and clear-headed. Hard to describe. Now sweets do not have a "draw" to me and I used to be a munchie big time for any sweets.
Life is weird. lol
anything ocurring in 3d space is "natural" there are no "unnatural" things in the world. that would be something from another dimension etc.

and as far as man-made or produced in nature -- some of the most viciously addictive and toxic compounds known to man -- morphine, cocaine, ricin, atropine are all plant made.
so im not sure it's a useful distinction to think "o, from plant, must not have any negative side effects" i think it's a common misconception that we would do well not to propogate.

Using this old thread because I don't want to create a new one.

While reading here and there in this forum, Valerian root came up every now and then. I happen to buy some today because you can't judge before you try.

Now I'm wondering how to best prepare it?
This is not some processed drugstore item in a nice box, but pieces of root in a plastic bag. Internet search results (mostly those blogs full of ads and copied and AI translated text) said to just make some tea from it.
But I'm wondering if there's more to it.

Using this old thread because I don't want to create a new one.

While reading here and there in this forum, Valerian root came up every now and then. I happen to buy some today because you can't judge before you try.

Now I'm wondering how to best prepare it?
This is not some processed drugstore item in a nice box, but pieces of root in a plastic bag. Internet search results (mostly those blogs full of ads and copied and AI translated text) said to just make some tea from it.
But I'm wondering if there's more to it.
There's no more to it than adding water to the valerian in a pan, and then gently warming it up to simmer point. Then either steep as desired for increased strength or strain off with a tea strainer or such like.

I found the natural unprocessed root form to be much better than the extracts and supplements. It provided highly effective relief to the inomnia I went through during a benzo withdrawal.

There are several different grades of the root available. From the 'high end' stuff you can get at herbal apothecary stores, which tatses so clean and fresh, but is very expensive. To the stuff advertised on ebay as "horse food". I kid you not. This form is a lot cheaper, and it's definitely not as clean tasting as the expensive stuff, but it's still fine for human consumption imo.

I rate it highly. It's the only supplement / natural remedy that I've found so far that is actually highly effective for insomnia. I don't recall ever trying it for anxiety but I imagine it would work well for that purpose too.

There are several different grades of the root available. From the 'high end' stuff you can get at herbal apothecary stores, which tatses so clean and fresh, but is very expensive. To the stuff advertised on ebay as "horse food". I kid you not. This form is a lot cheaper, and it's definitely not as clean tasting as the expensive stuff, but it's still fine for human consumption imo.

I rate it highly. It's the only supplement / natural remedy that I've found so far that is actually highly effective for insomnia. I don't recall ever trying it for anxiety but I imagine it would work well for that purpose too.
I got mine from a herbal apothecary, though it might no be the kind which you have in mind :). It's basically just the roots cut into small pieces, and it has a very strong (though not necessarily bad for valerian root) aroma and the brew becomes a deep green color (which turns brown with time).

I want it for insomnia, so I don't have to take benzos that I need/want for something else as sleeping aid. Or drink alcohol *which also makes me sleepy) after having taken those benzos earlier on.

I got mine from a herbal apothecary, though it might no be the kind which you have in mind :). It's basically just the roots cut into small pieces, and it has a very strong (though not necessarily bad for valerian root) aroma and the brew becomes a deep green color (which turns brown with time).

I want it for insomnia, so I don't have to take benzos that I need/want for something else as sleeping aid. Or drink alcohol *which also makes me sleepy) after having taken those benzos earlier on.
Sounds good. Yes it does have a strong smell and tase. I quite like it though, especially the cleaner stuff.

I disposed of the used grounds outside as they smell too strong to put in the kitchen bin, and discovered to my amusement that cats go absolutely nuts for the stuff and seem to be drawn to the smell from long distances away. My yard became very popular with the local cats for some time, while I was disposing of the grounds outside.

As for my own use, I didn't over use it, but I suspect it could easily become habit formiing.