• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Valerian and wild, intense vivid dreaming

Limpet_Chicken

Bluelighter
Was going to post about this anyway, then got encouraged still further to get on with it and go for it after someone else commenting on the effects of valerian on dreaming.

I've known for quite some time that high-dosing valerian extract has an effect on me quite distinct from the simply mildly sedating (which I'd not expect to affect me much really to begin with, since I've always been a real hard-head when it comes to GABAergic downers, to the point where my preferred dose of chlormethiazole if I use it purely as a sleep inducer rather than the usual use in my case as an anticonvulsant, both for prophylaxis and actively terminating seizures that are just beginning to kick off the shit, is up to a couple of grams (calc. as the base) to maybe 2.5g or even 3g) and I can easily take a 70-100mg dose,often more, of nitrazepam [and sometimes both, and thats ignoring potentiation from my pain meds, which consist of a few hundred mg of morphine IM/IV plus 100mg+ oxycodone] so for a sedative as mild as valerian, I'd not expect it to actually put me to sleep if I already am having trouble, assist in a good nights sleep if I can sleep already, something I've always found damnably elusive. Which is apparently as common in us auties as flies are hovering around dog shit, and from what they tell me, same goes for aspies too)

But, when taking really strong doses especially, of valerian extract, I very often find it produces an extremely intense oneirogenic effect, something one could almost call an 'oneirodelic', to coin a phrase.

INTENSE, vivid, often very memorable, lucid and downright crazy dreaming, that goes on in one long stream, or punctuated by occasional brief wakings, and on going back to sleep after fr.ex going for a piss, then not infrequently, whatever dream I was having at the time before waking then I'll find myself right back in it where I left off. And often there is also quite a strong degree of control over the dreaming, the overall dream environment is determined by whatever sets the scenery so to speak, but within that context, I find myself able to control my actions in the dreamscape provided, E.g for example once when I was dreaming about being at a special needs school, I could choose to go to a section of woodland there, or to the science labs (I did both), make eyes at the sexy young autie girls (did that too of course....can't blame me for that one, afterall, if confronted by a large number of very attractive, classically autistic schoolgirls, who wouldn't think 'mmm...tasty'=D),

And whilst going into the science block (it was a boarding school) then I remember being totally free to choose what to talk about with the chemistry/bio teacher, having a chat with them (which actually I got some useful input in waking life from, using them as a kind of consultant, and actually got some very useful reaction help from her, before asking permission to use the fume hood, quickly running back to my dormitory room and grabbing an NBC suit and a case containing glassware I knew that a school lab wouldn't have, and reagents that they wouldn't be allowed either. I remember returning suited up, setting up my glassware and vacuum pump, and whilst this was a while ago so I can't remember specifically what it was, I remember doing something that involved slowly dripping phosphorus trichloride from my pressure-equalized addition funnel to a reaction mixture, as well as something else involving liquid sulfur dioxide, and also deciding to make a new 'racetam series drug, phenylpramiracetam, taking phenylpiracetam as inspiration, whilst the chem/bio teacher looked on, as I tossed her a spare gas mask and the look on her face upon seeing one of her special-ed students coming in after school hours, asking to use the fume hood and telling her 'be back in a minute' whilst I ran off to grab reagents, equipment, and rushing back wearing a nuke-suit, and also opening a case containing a dedicated diazomethane glass kit, the teacher just standing there, looking on gawping as if to say 'what the FUCK else has this kid got in his locker in his bedroom'=D

Anybody know what constituent(s) of valerian extract are responsible for this weirdness when high-dosing valerian? because I'm fairly sure its not too likely a placebo, since from the first I was not for a moment expecting anything but a mild sleep aid, and also found there to be a profound tachyphylaxis effect akin to how most 5HT2a agonist psychedelics will go ahead with their rocket engines on full blast, and if used either again that day other than a supplement during the experience, or the day after then the effects are much, much diminished, and continued a third day then either massive doses are required or it just isn't going to happen no matter how much is used.

Is it the valerenic acid, which is apparently a loreclezole site agonist at GABAa receptors? sodium channel blocking compounds (hypothesis here, just because some compounds in there are very similar to valproate), alkaloidal fraction, or what? whats going on with this, how and why? I've wanted to try loreclezole for quite some time now, to see if thats whats going on, although I think I'll probably have to synthesize it for myself, rather than buy it, given that the likes of biology ligand supplying companies typically charge monstrous money for a milligram or two for the likes of electrophysiological studies which would be most uneconomical and impractical for even one, never mind a series of in-vivo human tests.

valerian gives me some of the most intense nightmares. from what i got i literature, its not an isolated case. i try to stay away from this shit not only because it causes severe nightmares for me but also its one of the herbs that is very bad for the liver long term and its also addictive.

Thats funny. I had sleep paralysis last night. I passed out on the couch and remember staring at my coffee table and it was surrounded by people. I was trying to tell them to leave but I couldn't move. Finally I was able to sit up and they disappeared. Anyway I drank some tea with valerian in it yesterday. Maybe that was a contributing factor. Anyway, sorry I don't know why valerian acts that way.

I absolutely love valerian. The intensity of my dreams remains static, might even be less so on it.

I have a pile of valerian tea (has other stuff in it but obv. valerian is the majority of the active components) and will try one tonight.

Q: Why hasn't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loreclezole been used more? Do we just trust drugs that bind to the BZD site more? Is it because there's no antagonist/antidote developed?

valerian gives me some of the most intense nightmares. from what i got i literature, its not an isolated case. i try to stay away from this shit not only because it causes severe nightmares for me but also its one of the herbs that is very bad for the liver long term and its also addictive.

Odd that you all experience this. I have PTSD and nightmares is probably the #1 symptom I still experience/still have. I'm guessing this would explain why my dreams are more pleasant/mild/less memorable when I have valerian.

I have as well (PTSD) or at least, had. Did a lot of work with AMT+low dose MXE on some long hikes in the woods picking wild mushrooms and mulling things over. That got rid of most of the problems it causes me.

But its not nightmares the valerian causes me, its lucid dreaming, just intense as fuck. It can be a bit of a bumpy ride at times but only on waking up after sleep, because the experience has been of such intensity that it can feel a bit like one got knocked around a bit.

And addictive? from everything I've read its not highly addictive and any such danger is more thoretical than a practical danger.
And in the case of using it as an oneirogen then I find it unlikely to lead to any physical dependency. The reason being that it produces a rapid and profound tachyphylaxis to the oneirogenic effect within a couple of doses on successive days. Second dose would be much less potent in that respect, and less reliable to boot.

oh yeah? try combining valerian with kratom and report here please. im not going to say much more. its going to effect everyone differently ofcourse and if you guys do not get nightmares from valerian alone, combining it with kratom will completely cause something positively else, hopefully

No, do tell me more. I'm willing to give it a try (albeit I'd have to add another drug, clonidine, into the equation, and there'd be chlormethiazole, oxycodone and morphine floating about at the very least, probably pramipexole and tizanidine as well)

I'm not about to try the experiment without knowing what the general idea is at least though, side effects possible etc.

I've tried kratom before but never with valerian. Had a fair few different preparations of kratom, any particular recommendations as to a specific strain, resin or extract? It'd need to be one of the strongest, because I've a large tolerance to opioids. So an alkaloid isolate would probably be the sort of thing that gives me a chance to get some effect, or else one of the stronger resins.

Valerian shows some activity at the GABAa-Receptor, and e.g. muscimol (a GABAa agonist) and some substances that increase the concentration of GABA in the synaptic cleft can show hallucinogenic properties, maybe it has something to do with that?

That would not make sense. Muscimol is a direct agonist at the orthosteric site, whilst the GABAergics in valerian bind at the loreclezole-sensitive allosteric site. If it were a directly dissociative hallucinogen that would cause such effects whilst waking. Valerian's odd effects have without exception in my experience, manifested ONLY as extremely vivid and intense, often lucid dreaming, after sleep. Taking the same dose and remaining awake, there is a sedative effect but nothing of the former kind, not even a hint of it.

Could be something as simple as altering slep profiles towards greater amounts of REM sleep. Cannabinoids can decrease REM sleep in favour of slow-wave sleep, so I don't see why other drugs could do the opposite.

I wonder if there could be related compounds in Calea zacatechichi that expain its onierogenic effects too.

Slightly OT but yes, PTSD does cause terrible nightmares. I've found that beta blockers to be of great utility in that department.

How can you people drink valerian tea? I have enough trouble with the capsules, they smell worse than my feet after 10 hours in steel toed boots under the hot Georgia sun.

I feel much the same way. I'm not sure as I'd stomach it in a tea. It would have to be on the same level as harmala seed brewed into a tea, and that is BAD. The capsules at least one can just quickly swallow and wash down with a drink. They still smell vile. Valeric/isovaleric acids both are known to be responsible for the stink of rancid feet.

Not really surprising. Tolerable/pleasant-ish at least starts at formic acid and ends at acetic acid, among simple carboxylic acids, propionic acid smells like rancid sweaty goat and leaves a filthy taste in the back of the throat if there is even a little in the air. Butyric acid is what gives vomit its nasty smell. My old man can tell straight away if I've been using n-butyric anhydride for anything, if even the least bit escapes, such as when vacuum distilling something afterwards, traces get sucked into the vac pump and spat back out of the air outflow, causing the room to stink like a bog in a dive bar. I've never personally experienced either pure valeric or pure isovaleric acid, their anhydrides or acid chlorides, but going from valerian, despite the fact I'm curious about seeing what the valeric or isovaleryl mono- and diesters of morphine are like, I am not exactly enthusiastic about the preparation part.

I dunno which valerian pills you guys are using but the ones i buy from the store are sugar coated and dont smell/taste like valerian at all (unless you chew them up).

Sugar coated? They resemble normal tablets? Are they supposed to contain extract of valerian or something? Because you have to ingest quite a lot of valerian powder to get an active dose, like 5+, 00 capsules. Unless it contains some sort of extract, I doubt they contain enough plant matter to be effective, and I have never received proper effects from extract containing tablets, only raw plant matter. I don't know if that is a quality issue, or if the actives just don't lend themselves well to extraction. Even then the extract containing tablets still had that smell just much less powerful, but either way its unrelated to people drinking valerian tea.

Mine are an extract in capsules in 70% aq. EtOHextract, dried and capped and equal to 2020mg valerian root if it were in its natural unextracted dry state. Stuff still stinks like an islamite's britches the moment before it pushes the trigger to set it's vest off though.

So I'm told, rats love it too. IIRC the legend of the pied piper of Hammelin had something to do with a ratcatcher stuffing his pockets with valerian, or else soaking clothing in its extract. Rats apparently cannot resist the stuff. As for me, It just proves I am a man, not a mouse, because I can't stand the stink of the fucking things. And its less like manna to the starving israelites in the desert and closer to a vacuum pump that accidentally got a bit of n-butryic anhydride in the oil, and then proceeded to belch vomit fumes into the lab for the next month or so. More like garlic-infused holy water to a vampire, impregnated into a wooden crucifix sharpened into a stake at the bottom. Only it smells more like rotten toe fungus than garlic. I can't say as I know what vampires smell like though.

The dreamy effects of valerian might be partially caused by valerenic acid's affinity to 5-HT5A receptor (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15921820). Interesting thing is that this receptor is only expressed in CNS and is responsible for locomotion and sleep-wake cycle (according to wiki). Another natural agonist for that receptor is LSD, which is also interesting.. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/5-ht5a-receptor). There is no much research done on this particular receptor and it is unknown exactly what processes are related to 5-HT5A receptor. However, there are many compounds in valerian root, and many other created during extraction process, so it is hard to say which compound accounts for the dreamy effects. I'm sure most of these compounds are not even detected and isolated from the extract. The only thing I can logically relate to dreaming is an activity of acetylcholine. There might be a compound present in valerian root extract which acts as an ACh agonist or inhibits acetylcholinesterase activity significantly.

I personally have never experienced vivid dreams from consuming either raw root or extract. However, I noticed that consuming raw root even in large quantities have no sedative or anxiolytic effects at all. It actually has stimulating effects with undesired side effects. So I believe that the key compounds are somehow created or modified during drying and extraction process.

Natural? in humans as a neurotransmitter?

I've seen nowt in common with anticholinesterases. I've taken galantamine, huperzine-A and a plant based one, as well as (it would when wearing off the acute phase, still leave someone with higher ACh levels in synapses of course) being bitten by black and brown widow spiders. (alpha-latrotoxin is a potent acetylcholine releaser), and it had no effect on dreaming, when I could sleep, when on a LOT of painkillers. Just a lot of nerve agent-like symptoms. And hurting to fuck. Although I guess I did albeit when caring for my wee babies, deserve it from their points of eight-eyed view. My little girls had just laid egg sacks so its understandable that the two of them would both be pissy little ladies. Still, I did have to clean out their tank and arrange for fresh wetted cotton and throwing in fresh insects, plus removing the old husks of their last dinner times.

(the brown widow and black widows weren't wild spiders I was messing around with or tormenting, rather, they were cherished pets of mine and as loved as any cat or dog might be) So of course, it was my duty and the right thing to do to make sure they were taken care of, and it meant I couldn't pull or flick the spiders off, I had to wait until they had finished biting me before I could scoop them up and return them to their enclosure, because I didn't want to risk damaging their delicate araneomorph fangs or risk ripping one or both of them off. I'd have HATED to see my sweet little girls die of starvation, and even worse, when they could tell food was there but be unable to eat of it)

Sadly, shortly after, the fucking pigs, raiding my lab, illegally too, I might add, on a falsified warrant, they were told where the spiders were so as to not be injured (my pets I mean, I couldn't give a fuck if a pig cop got bitten and died lol)
they had been taken all the way downstairs and I'm 99% sure that the container, babies and all, were put in the microwave and definitely sure they were murdered. All that effort the girls had gone to to lay eggs, and then to be butchered along with their, and my little spider-kids, is just inhumane and brutal, done I am sure, to hurt me and get to me. I told them they weren't dangerous and only bite if provoked to do so, yet when I got released from the pig shop, the grass, the damp cotton was bone dry, and all the spiders, each and every one including the hundreds and hundreds of tiny pinhead-sized pallid white spiderlings had been simply disintegrated and reduced to dust. Container left on top of the MW. I am sure it was murder. Killing somebody's pets just to strike in a vendetta the filth have against me..that makes me SO fucking angry. Beyond angry. Livid, fuming, and seething with poisonous vitriol such as if it came out physically I'd be shitting chunks of potassium metal, pissing chlorine trifluoride, coughing up white phosphorus loogies and when I blew my nose, it'd be fucking carborane acid spraying out of my nostrils, whilst farting allyl isocyanide, whilst sweating out a fucking binary agent where all I'd need to do is jizz on a cop I'd wiped a sweaty palm over
and they'd be saturated in novichok-5 and jizzm.