• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Hope today is a good one hrs. No matter what the day brings, you should be very proud of yourself. As Dale pointed out, you are doing what so few are able to. What a essing to have him to talk with. Hang on hik, you are doinggreat. ❤️

Thanks 10 years , being on a high dose for so long , even though I weaned myself down to a lower level ( 20mg ), I feel like a have a couple more weeks of feeling this way . I hope I'm wrong about that. How are you making it ? I have to agree with others that methadone has the worst WD's. The lingering WD's are the worst.

How fast are you reducing Hik? I've done several methadone reductions over the years and it needs to be done slowly. Once I got down to 20mg/day I stabilised on that dose for a couple of months. Then reduced by 2mg/month until I reached 10mg. Stabilised on that for another couple of months then commenced reducing by 1mg/month. When I got down to 2mg I suddenly realised how ridiculous it was to be going to the pharmacy every day for that amount, so I jumped off. Absolutely no withdrawal whatsoever. However, I had actually conquered the psychological addiction well before that, which is the key to success. Also, there must be NO use of opiates/opioids during the reduction (and that obviously includes tramadol).

Good luck mate...

Methadone is a mofo. I was on it for awhile in both a clinical and medical setting. I got off of it by getting on another opiate. I'm an abberant metabolizer-and methadone never held me a full 24hrs. It was a true nightmare.

I was waiting at a light to cross the street. This beautiful white Vette caught the red light and was blasting "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" I think you used the word "chilling," to describe listening to it while feeling vulnerable Great word to describe it. Try "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" That's one of my awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night withdrawal songs. I thought it was so crazy that song was playing at the exact second I was there. I mean, what are the odds? I've had it on my mind since I read it yesterday.

Hik, I'm going through some difficult circumstances right now. In regards to my dope use I'm doing really well Even when I wanted to get some I didn't. I'm on Subutex, following the rules lol. I would cause even worse circumstances if I threw getting high in the mix.

Lingering w/d is difficult. Beyond difficult. But you are getting ready to break through and come out on the other side. Hang on tight you're almost finished. Soon you'll be encouraging someone that got the courage to stop. Because of you. ❤️❤️

How fast are you reducing Hik? I've done several methadone reductions over the years and it needs to be done slowly. Once I got down to 20mg/day I stabilised on that dose for a couple of months. Then reduced by 2mg/month until I reached 10mg. Stabilised on that for another couple of months then commenced reducing by 1mg/month. When I got down to 2mg I suddenly realised how ridiculous it was to be going to the pharmacy every day for that amount, so I jumped off. Absolutely no withdrawal whatsoever. However, I had actually conquered the psychological addiction well before that, which is the key to success. Also, there must be NO use of opiates/opioids during the reduction (and that obviously includes tramadol).

Good luck mate...

I weaned 5mg a week till about 50mg , then I went down 5mg every 2 weeks until I was at 20mg . Here in my state a new opiate law went into effect that has our dr's scared shitless to give opiates. My dr told me back in November '17 that I'd have to go to a methadone clinic or weaned down . I chose to wean because the mmt clinic is over 2hr round trip . I would have loved to do it slower like you . I started having WD symptoms at 50mg .

Good morning Hik,

Sorry that your wd is still lingering on, but if I remember correctly following Dale's journey, I think he started to really turn the corner just after his 2 month mark.

It's coming for you and one day you won't even be counting time, you'll just go about your day normally. That will be a great day and it's on it's way for you!! Really very proud of you, you have a great attitude too, that will serve you well in life.

Hugs and here if you need anything, your friend,
Ash.

I weaned 5mg a week till about 50mg , then I went down 5mg every 2 weeks until I was at 20mg . Here in my state a new opiate law went into effect that has our dr's scared shitless to give opiates. My dr told me back in November '17 that I'd have to go to a methadone clinic or weaned down . I chose to wean because the mmt clinic is over 2hr round trip . I would have loved to do it slower like you . I started having WD symptoms at 50mg .

Ah, I was in the fortunate position where I could dictate my methadone reduction to the mg (all on the NHS of course), plus they tolerated relapses with heroin and yo-yoing methadone doses. I appreciate that not everyone has that luxury so I feel your pain.

The only advise I can offer is to stick with it because it really is worth it in the end - if you want your life back.

Methadone is a mofo. I was on it for awhile in both a clinical and medical setting. I got off of it by getting on another opiate. I'm an abberant metabolizer-and methadone never held me a full 24hrs. It was a true nightmare.

I was waiting at a light to cross the street. This beautiful white Vette caught the red light and was blasting "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" I think you used the word "chilling," to describe listening to it while feeling vulnerable Great word to describe it. Try "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" That's one of my awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night withdrawal songs. I thought it was so crazy that song was playing at the exact second I was there. I mean, what are the odds? I've had it on my mind since I read it yesterday.

Hik, I'm going through some difficult circumstances right now. In regards to my dope use I'm doing really well Even when I wanted to get some I didn't. I'm on Subutex, following the rules lol. I would cause even worse circumstances if I threw getting high in the mix.

Lingering w/d is difficult. Beyond difficult. But you are getting ready to break through and come out on the other side. Hang on tight you're almost finished. Soon you'll be encouraging someone that got the courage to stop. Because of you. ❤️❤️

I can instantly tell if a song is about drugs now that I've been through the worst of it . I seriously considered suboxone, but I talked to a addiction dr and he said it wasnt strong enough to help much with methadone WD. He said I would need to wait 4+ days before starting and even then I could go into precipitated WD. I'm at the point now I'm glad I went through with it . I'm a stronger person and feel like I gained some much needed self control. Maybe you need more time clean to stop the cravings. I hope your difficult circumstances get better . You did great not craving in for dope. It's hard sometimes, really hard.

Hey guys , I'm still holding on here. Just got back from a lake trip and was in a dead zone for 2 days . It's nice to unplug for a little while . I found out even a few beers can complicate my rls and bowel movements (tmi). It sure wasn't worth feeling good for 4hrs in exchange of 8 hrs of rls and runs . I should have listened to a few people on here about not drinking during WD's. Luckily today I had a better day . I think the diarrhea from opiate wd messes with the gut and stomach lining
causing Alcohol to irritate the lining even more.
Saturday night i sure as hell didn't drink a drop , lol.
I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Hey hik,

Yes I remember when I discontinued my medication, for the first few days I thought it would help the wd's along to have a few drinks one night. How very wrong I was. Just made the wd's coupled with the hangover the next day so much worse!! Both in the TMI dept as well as more emotional instability.

Oh well, we live and learn right?? ; )

Glad to hear you had a better day today, very proud of you and all your accomplishments.

Have a great night,
here if you need anything,
you friend,
Ash.

So true Ash , I remember at about the week mark I tried drinking heavily thinking it would help the WDs , but it magnifies the other symptoms 10x the next day on top of the hangover . You cant get much worse feeling than a hangover on top of WDs .

Hangover+opiate wd= Hell. On. Earth.

Back in December, right after xmas, I went on a work conference to Las Vegas. I was going to use the 3 day trip to detox from opiates, since I was flying (and with my coworkers) but then decided at the last minute that that was a terrible idea and that I should try and bring whatever I could with me to get me through this very important work event. Being right after xmas, I was poor, but I bought as much dope as I could (2-3 grams, can't remember exactly how much right now) and got it onto the plane via my, erm, "lady carry-on" (lol, aka mah vajayjay). Stupid and very risky, esp. considering I was traveling with all of my coworkers, but it worked and I don't regret doing it..I would've been a mess had I not brought anything and potentially lost my job bc of it. However, I had a high tolerance at the time and only brought enough for the trip...not enough for the day commuting home. So...I woke up on the day we were supposed to leave at 7am, my last dope hit being almost 12 hours earlier, and with a massive, 3 days of partying in vegas compounded hangover. That flight home was the worst 4 hours of my fucking life. I was puking, sneezing non stop, shifting in my chair uncomfortably every 2 seconds. The lady next to me kept looking at me like I was about to die or something. The worst part was that my bf was supposed to get me from the airport and there would be no way for me to sneak over to my dealers' house with him with me and the thought of that made the wd even worse not knowing when I would be able to find some relief. Thankfully, when I landed, I called him and he had a load of laundry to finish up before he could head to the airport...so I took the opportunity to quickly uber home, jump in my car and head to my dealers, and bought like 4-5 grams (i won a grand in vegas!) to last me for the week. Anyways, long story short...FUCK BEING HUNGOVER AND IN WD. I think hangovers are one of my biggest opiate triggers, tbh, even still...opiates were always so good at making my hangovers vanish (or at least make me forget about them).

God, I'm SO GLAD I don't have to worry about that shit anymore...finding dope for trips...trying to smuggle it on a plane...having no money to spend on trips bc i spent it all getting enough dope to keep me well. I need to remember this anytime I think about relapsing...

How are you doing today hik, how was your weekend?

Your friend,
Ash.

So true Ash , I remember at about the week mark I tried drinking heavily thinking it would help the WDs , but it magnifies the other symptoms 10x the next day on top of the hangover . You cant get much worse feeling than a hangover on top of WDs .

Hangover+opiate wd= Hell. On. Earth.

Back in December, right after xmas, I went on a work conference to Las Vegas. I was going to use the 3 day trip to detox from opiates, since I was flying (and with my coworkers) but then decided at the last minute that that was a terrible idea and that I should try and bring whatever I could with me to get me through this very important work event. Being right after xmas, I was poor, but I bought as much dope as I could (2-3 grams, can't remember exactly how much right now) and got it onto the plane via my, erm, "lady carry-on" (lol, aka mah vajayjay). Stupid and very risky, esp. considering I was traveling with all of my coworkers, but it worked and I don't regret doing it..I would've been a mess had I not brought anything and potentially lost my job bc of it. However, I had a high tolerance at the time and only brought enough for the trip...not enough for the day commuting home. So...I woke up on the day we were supposed to leave at 7am, my last dope hit being almost 12 hours earlier, and with a massive, 3 days of partying in vegas compounded hangover. That flight home was the worst 4 hours of my fucking life. I was puking, sneezing non stop, shifting in my chair uncomfortably every 2 seconds. The lady next to me kept looking at me like I was about to die or something. The worst part was that my bf was supposed to get me from the airport and there would be no way for me to sneak over to my dealers' house with him with me and the thought of that made the wd even worse not knowing when I would be able to find some relief. Thankfully, when I landed, I called him and he had a load of laundry to finish up before he could head to the airport...so I took the opportunity to quickly uber home, jump in my car and head to my dealers, and bought like 4-5 grams (i won a grand in vegas!) to last me for the week. Anyways, long story short...FUCK BEING HUNGOVER AND IN WD. I think hangovers are one of my biggest opiate triggers, tbh, even still...opiates were always so good at making my hangovers vanish (or at least make me forget about them).

God, I'm SO GLAD I don't have to worry about that shit anymore...finding dope for trips...trying to smuggle it on a plane...having no money to spend on trips bc i spent it all getting enough dope to keep me well. I need to remember this anytime I think about relapsing...
I don't see how you made it on a airplane for 4 hrs in that condition. The squirmies are a terrible feeling that is basically restless body syndrome. Last Saturday morning after the drinking I didn't feel hung over too bad , but I could definitely tell my WD'S increased . I'm basically 90% done with them at this point , which is why I thought I could drink . I'm heading to wallyworld now for some probiotics to see if it will help my stomach problems. I'm past the imodium days , but still having some gas, belching, and frequent BMs.

Ashley, I'm doing as good as I can . My leg strength is improving slowly. I can actually stand for about 30min without trying to find a chair . My legs are still restless and insomnia is a problem still. The trazadone is losing its effectiveness. I can get to sleep , but only for about 3-4 hrs .

I don't see how you made it on a airplane for 4 hrs in that condition. The squirmies are a terrible feeling that is basically restless body syndrome. Last Saturday morning after the drinking I didn't feel hung over too bad , but I could definitely tell my WD'S increased . I'm basically 90% done with them at this point , which is why I thought I could drink . I'm heading to wallyworld now for some probiotics to see if it will help my stomach problems. I'm past the imodium days , but still having some gas, belching, and frequent BMs.

I made it because, well , I had no choice lol. The poor people next to/in front of me. I'm pretty sure the guy in front of me wanted to murder me by the end of the trip (constantly, moving and shifting and bumping his chair in the process). Right before landing, the elderly lady next to me finally asked "um, are you ok?"...to which I responded with "yeah..Vegas hangover", which she thought was just too funny and then she spent the rest of the trip telling me stories from her wild, younger days traveling to Vegas. Had I told her what was really going on with me, I wonder what her response would've been then. lol.

I'm glad you're close to the end!!! What a journey, but you've pretty much made it, at this point! So proud of you!! Quitting methadone, especially after 18 years, takes some serious stones!

Hello my friend,

Glad to hear your strength is improving, though I wish you were getting more sleep than that. Hopefully Dale ( the man ; ) or one of the others with methadone wd experience will come along and offer advice on how to stay asleep longer.

Very proud of you hik, you have such a great attitude and you are a wonderful benchmark for others on here. Plus you're just a great guy and I couldn't be happier for you!!

You know I am always here if you need anything.

P.S, thanks for your nice comment on my name change thread, you put a smile on my face when I read it.

Love and support to you my friend!!
Ash.

Ashley, I'm doing as good as I can . My leg strength is improving slowly. I can actually stand for about 30min without trying to find a chair . My legs are still restless and insomnia is a problem still. The trazadone is losing its effectiveness. I can get to sleep , but only for about 3-4 hrs .

Hello my friends, I've been either too busy to update or too unfocused. I am getting more energy, but my sleep is still messed up even with the trazadone. It keeps me asleep for about 3 hrs then I'm wide awake. Has anyone else had this problem? I had to take imodium Sat, Tuesday and yesterday. I'm only taking the amount suggested on the bottle , but I feel drowsy when I take them. If I'm sitting I usually got right to sleep. I've read about how people take 100 to get high (not me). I'm not taking them for fun, that's for sure . I've started probiotics and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to get my gut in check. I'm gonna take another break from the the imodium to see if the probiotics help. I sure don't want to get dependent on it . I hope everyone has a good day .