• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Using Remeron (Mirtazapine) to Ease Benzo Withdrawal Effects During Taper

Gratuitous Grace

Bluelighter
I haven't seen a discussion of this before, and I can't find anything in a cursory search. So, I want to share the following in case it might be of benefit to someone here.

I've been taking a benzo regularly (not recreationally) for nearly 15 years. For the first 7 years, it was Xanax. For the last 8 years, it's been Klonopin. (The immediate switch from Xanax to Klonopin in '07, done under a doctor's care, was hell on earth. But, that's a different story.) I never intended to be on Klonopin this long -- obviously? The idea was to taper from 6 or 8 mg (I can't remember precisely) to zero over the course of a year or so. Well ... that never happened! It's been years of up and down doses, better and worse intentions, different docs, different goals. Some quick math tells me that I've eaten something like 20,000 little pills over the last decade and a half. What a nightmare.

Finally, I started seeing a psychiatrist who very aggressively pushed an agenda of complete liberation from benzos. (I understand that this is not what everyone wants or needs. After discussing the issue with me and seeing my distress, this doctor came to understand that this is what I want and need.) We had some disagreements in the initial phases. I subscribe to Ashton-esque ideas and wanted to switch over to Valium; we couldn't agree on the equivalence, however. So, we gave up on that. (I didn't mind. Even with "my" equivalence, it was unpleasant.) I then suggested a 1% per day "titration," but he thought that sounded ridiculously tedious. So, we were stuck -- until I came down with pneumonia about a month ago.

I was out of work and taking a fairly strong (very sedating) antihistamine called Promethazine. When I noticed just how sedating it was (and given that I was going to be home for a week or two and feeling like crap anyway), I decided to make an aggressive Klonopin cut. I went from 2 mg to 1-1/2 mg. This is not a reduction that I could have tolerated under normal circumstances; but, with the strong antihistamine ... well ... let's just say that it wasn't a disaster. I got through it. I reported back to my psychiatrist, and he said that he would much rather have me on cough syrup than on Klonopin, but that he might be able to do better for me. He gave me a prescription for Remeron (generic = Mirtazapine) and said "this will knock you on your ass at night ... make another cut."

I discovered that Remeron is used to treat major depression (which I do not have) and that it's incredibly sedating -- more like total-mental-fog-inducing (at least at first). So, I made the cut. I went from 1-1/2 mg to 1 mg along with Remeron. Pretty tolerable. WUT?! Yeah ... I was so sedated that the withdrawal effects were minimal. It's almost as though I knew mentally that I was experiencing them; but, physically, they were not showing through. I was worried that the initial "fog" of Remeron wouldn't sustain, so I wanted to get very aggressive. With permission, I made another cut from 1 mg to 1/2 mg. Now, a 50% reduction like this would have been totally unthinkable to me before -- some form of insanity, not to mention torture. But, I did it without too much unpleasantness. A little bit of teeth grinding, a little bit of twitchiness, a little bit of "oh, I don't like this feeling." Anyone who knows, knows. But, I mean, c'mon -- that's about 10% as bad as it would otherwise have been.

2 mg to 1/2 mg in about a month? I would have called you nuts if you had suggested that a reduction like that could have been made in comfort. But, there it is. I'm getting close. And, mostly, I have hope that I can finish this off once and for all. I'm not sure exactly where to go from here. That's a discussion to be had shortly with my psychiatrist. But, it's not too early to pass this along to anyone who might be suffering through this stage of a taper. It can be made so much smoother in a bunch of ways; this is the way that has seemed to work best for me. And maybe it's something for others to try if they're stuck.

Last edited:
I can testify that mirtazapine (Remeron) has it's place in withdrawal situations. For me, mirtazapine was a knockout pill that put me to sleep almost as quickly as zolpidem (Ambien). At the very least it will help you sleep. It's also likely to stimulate your appetite (in fact it's given to cats and dogs to spur their appetite when sick). This can be useful as I'm sure your appetite is pretty nil at the moment. It also has some marked antidepressant effects that for me started on day 3-4. All around, it's a fairly useful drug for any kind of withdrawal.

Just be careful, I was taking mirtazapine a few months back and I ended up gaining 30 pounds in a very short period of time. I didn't even realize it was happening until my pants didn't fit anymore. I stopped taking it for this reason as I just had a ravenous appetite and I couldn't sustain it.

Hope this helps.

I agree on Mirtazapine as a helpful sleep aid despite my aversion towards it because the hangover makes me feel like shit. But I guess the sedation is very welcomed during Benzo-taper/WD.

Great job on your dose reduction! Just don't take it too fast from now, the more you get towards zero/drop off the harder it gets, so I would work out a taper with your doc so you can kick the last 0,5mg in an equal not desastrous way even if it takes a while. You want it and now you know that it is possible, stay safe :)

If it's working for you, awesome. I agree with the previous two posters, though. I don't like the hangover (same reason I avoid anything that uses antihistaminergic qualities to induce sleep), but the real deal breaker for me is that it gives me an absolutely insatiable appetite that cannot be satisfied, leading to serious weight gain.

However, if a bit of short-term use can help you get off benzos, it's totally worth it, without question.

I agree on Mirtazapine as a helpful sleep aid despite my aversion towards it because the hangover makes me feel like shit. But I guess the sedation is very welcomed during Benzo-taper/WD.

If it's working for you, awesome. I agree with the previous two posters, though. I don't like the hangover (same reason I avoid anything that uses antihistaminergic qualities to induce sleep)

This is something that, in my over-enthusiasm, I should have made clearer. Oh yeah -- the sedation lingers and becomes pretty constant ... very foggy all the time. And it's not a particularly pleasant sedation either. That said, it's SOOO much more pleasant than benzo withdrawals. Essentially what I've done is pick the far lesser of the two evils in order to accomplish a goal. I know that you guys know this. I have no intention of staying on this any longer than as absolutely necessary. For starters, I'm not fully functional at work or at play -- and that's a deal-breaker for me. This is just a temporary crutch...

^Don't worry about it. There are far worse crutches that mirtazapine...