• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Using Oxycodone as a comedown aid after stimulants & alcohol?

Jazz Cat

Greenlighter
Hi all,

First post - apologies, have searched for this topic but can't find much on the specific situation.

For many years I've used benzos to help come down after a night of using stimulants (MDMA, amphetamine etc) and drinking moderate amounts. Now, I'm aware that benzos and alcohol are a questionable combo, but I've always exercised common sense and I've never come to any harm

My question: I've recently come into some Oxycodone, which I've not used before. I'd like to use them for the above purpose, but I'm quite sceptical of the opiates/alcohol combination. Can this be done safely at a low dose, with a reasonable time period left after last drink? Or is it more sensible to avoid entirely?

All thoughts welcome, but prefer if they're accompanied with some evidence, even if it's just anecdotal experience.

tldr: Oxycodone as a comedown aid following stimulants + alcohol - OK or avoid?

If you have never used oxy before, first you need to assess your tolerance. Then when you know how much you can take without hurting yourself yes you can use it as a comedown aid. But don't let your first time ever being used be mixed with other drugs. I would start low like 5 or 10 mg of oxy.

If you're receptors have an affinity to alcohol, you should avoid Opiates. Simply saying, if you think you are alcoholic in nature, science can give you plenty of reasons to believe you might love opiates far too much. Simple browser searches will yield more than you can read. This is a recipe for an entirely new nightmare. If you have an iron clad will you could try it. I am tending to believe that your current troubles suggest otherwise. It will work, but it will work far too good to be even true. It's good you asked the question though, it shows you have some sense of danger. Your radar is correct. Danger is very real and present. I suggest other options. This could be the decision that turns on you very quickly.

Last edited:
If you're receptors have an affinity to alcohol, you should avoid Opiates. Simply saying, if you think you are alcoholic in nature, science can give you plenty of reasons to believe you might love opiates far too much. Simple browser searches will yield more than you can read. This is a recipe for an entirely new nightmare. If you have an iron clad will you could try it. I am tending to believe that your current troubles suggest otherwise. It will work, but it will work far too good to be even true. It's good you asked the question though, it shows you have some sense of danger. Your radar is correct. Danger is very real and present. I suggest other options. This could be the decision that turns on you very quickly.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clarify, when I say "For many years I've used benzos as a comedown aid after a night of stimulants and alcohol", I mean intermittently - as in after nights out etc - not every night.

Having said that I do appreciate your caution - I've known friends to develop serious opiate habits and it's never ended well.

If you want cold hard answers, there is a doctor (former addict), that works at White Deer Run in York PA. He is an expert on the cross issues of alcohol and Opiates. I'd bet he'd be willing to spend a few minutes on the phone with you , all anonymous. Look number up and call there. Dude is like 60, and he's cool. The only reason I would give that kind of information, is that you smartly asked for backup solid facts and he has them.

Last edited:
If you are somewhat drunk then I would say that yes oxy will make an excellent comedown aid and should not be too dangerous. If you are in a blackout I would not recommend coming within spitting distance of another downer but If your on stims I imagine their the main event and your just chasing that with a few beers or something. As mad says though it would be a good idea to get an idea of how you react from baseline as it sounds like you have never tried opiates before. Some people get very high of a tiny amount and some also get nauseous of a small amount (which would be bad if your already drunk they might compound each other in terms of losing your stomach contents). If you make this a weekend ritual or something though you might get a taste for it and start using it on it's own though so do be warned it's quite a nice high and though it may take awhile for you to really start to feel the pull there's a real chance you will.