• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids using marijuana to ween off Norco (& clonazapam) HELP!!!,

spurs2007

Greenlighter
hi all. I've been debating too long to get this into effect.... how do I use weed to get off my evil opiate (norco) and my evil clonazapam. It's not a question of permission, it's a question of best timing...how and when do I smoke it. FACT: I know when I smoke, I can go hours w/o taking the norco and clonazapam. I mean I'm so happy, Lmao, chilled, and dancing in the kitchen and I realize the hrs that have passed w/o the meds. %)

I have Fibromyalgia for 15 yrs nows, very painful but if I knew at the beginning it was gonna lead to my body being addicted and waking me up with twitching saying ''feed me norco'', I would've said no thanks to the pain mgt. doc. And If I would've known 20 yrs ago when a psychiatrist put me on clonazapam for my panic/anxiety, i would've said NO!!! I was trying to be the good girl and say ''no to drugs'' like weed & listen to the doctors and take what they PRESCRIBE. I was a good girl and listened to the doctors and used as prescribed and now I'm a mess. Clonazapam is being TAKEN away by some new law and with each 1/2 mg taper, it is a mental and physical horror. I was planning on getting off the Norco FIRST but then this new benzo law came into effect where I have to get off, but I was at least going to use the clonazapam to help with the opiate withdraw.

Well now it's like I need the norco for the clonazapam w/draw. So I'm screwed & can't get off either med w/o some REAL help the docs won't do. I need HUMAN HELP from the ones that know this hell and want to get off!!! Here's how it lays now in my daily schedule (norco w/d sets in every 5hrs, clonaz the same).....

Norco 5mg/325 every 6 hrs 4X a day
Clonazapam 1mg 3 X a day

QUESTION I NEED AN ANSWER OR ADVICE TO: WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO SMOKE THE WEED? And.... when & how do I knock OUT some mg's...aka taper? Say I want 2.5 mg norco taken off every 2 weeks... When I smoke the weed, when do I go for that 2.5mg (1/2 my 5mg pill) cut off?

Should I smoke An HOUR before i know my brain and body will ''call'' for the norco and clonaz? or when my body is spazzing for it?

So it's like this: 9am norco 5mg(for Fibro pain) and 1mg clonaz for anxiety/nervousness
3pm same and same
9pm same and same
3 am wither I like it or not...same and same and 60 mg propanolol

THis is just a sample schedule as to what I'm on. my sleep schedule is all over the place due to me being awakened by the twitching and my body calling for it and the thrashing and the nightmares that are happening mentally because I'm tired and DON'T want to get up to take the frickin pills. It's like I'm SLEEPING, LET ME SLEEP, I DON'T WANT YOU!!! but alas, I can't take it anymore, and I get up & swallow the dang pills already. I hate hate hate it. Besides the body spazzing, it's the brain that is going thru this mental evil, it's like i'm being sufforcated. I don't even want to go into it. The clonazapam taper is mental HELL.

I was on 4mg clonazapam, it's now down to 3 times a day, that's what I got to work with...next month 1mg 1mg & 1/2 mg...going down on 1/2 mg increments (& it is some mental anguish, confusion8(, and EXTREME body cramps:sus::X)
I was on morphine once upon a time, it worked great of course, but as a 'good girl' I asked pain mgt to get me off, that's when I got 7.5mg/500 vicodin 4-5X a day, then as a human (although the fibromyalgia is extremely painful) I knew I couldn't stay on this forever and my body was feeling so TOXIC, so I asked to be lowered to 5mg 4X aday. This is where I've plateaued.

so, i'm plateaued at
Norco 5mg 4X
clonaz 1mg 3X (really still at 4mg, cuz I can't take the mental w/d effects and still be able to watch my kids or ''live'', I've got extra so I haven't been able to do what the psychiatrist has been telling me to do, i've tried) When I do smoke, my kids see me happy, active, cleaning, & being with them. they prefer smoking mom & know why I do it. They don't like to see sad, in pain, w/drawing mom
:(

but the extra bottle of clonazapam is diminshing as I'm still taking 1mg 4x a day cuz once the w/d effects start as I TRY to take away 1/2 mg, I push for hrs and have to cave (once upon a time I was prescribed BY psychiatrist 2mg 4X a day & I did well, no sleepiness or anything, just a ''cure'' for my nervousness/anxiety) until one doc introduced propanolol and I was able to half it to the 1mg 4X aday instead of 2mg 4x. BUT now, there's no other ''input'' for the missing clonazapam, as you can't take propanolol 8 times a day for the missing clonazapm.

Here's the problem; I need to taper off the Norco w/in 2 bottles of 5mg X4 (120 pills) HOW DO i BEST USE (& SPREAD) THE MARIJUANA TO GET OFF & CHOP OFF SOME MG'S? I know when I moved to 7.5 4x to 5 mg 4x, I was unable to watch my kids & neglected everything in my life cuz I was bound to the couch. I wasn't smoking, still being a good girl. BY ALLLLL means, I should've smoked. BUT the pain mgt doc, once weed is found, gives you one LAST bottle of any opioid. SO, I gotta get this DONE!!!!

The clonazapam is just going to have to go along with it. Although the psychiatrist is HAVING to taper me off due to the law, there is no LAST BOTTLE threat, just the DOOM of tapering 1/2 mg every month. ALL I can say is that I FEEEEL each speck of mg being taken off. eeegccch. If I wasn't strong enough in spirit and if I didn't have JESUS in my life, I would just ''give up''. BUT I'M STRONG THROUGH JESUS AND WITH THE HELP OF SOME KIND HUMANS LIKE YOU WITH KNOWLEDGE TO SHARE (THAT DOCTORS JUST WON'T ADMIT) I CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THIS W/OUT HAVING TO STAY ON THE COUCH AND AWAY FROM MY 3 ANGELS, MY CHILDREN WHO NEED ME, AND ACTUALLY STILL FEEL ALIVE!!!

Sorry to hear. Clonzepam I take and I'm tapering. My doc over prescribed oxy to me for injuries and MS now I'm on methadone(really helps with pain). I smoke weed also and eat it. I'd try eating special brownie/cookie(pm me if you'd like the recipe)at night and try an indica for the day
sorry but getting off both will be uncomfortable
I truly wish you the best

Gosh I feel for you. Why is your clonaz being cut off & why doesn't your psych offer a replacement?

As to the weed, if it really makes you happy, dancing, playing with kids then I'd do it as much as possible,( it just makes me bump into walls & crash, so I avoid it).

Take your norco only when you get uncomfortable. Do you happen to have Gabapentin or lyrica prescribed for your fibro? These will help immensely!

I know how bad it is to be WDing when you have a child or more. Keep posting, we will support you through this m'k? That's the beaut part of BL,- we look after each other!

Best wishes, others will chime in soon, stay in touch,

Rtp ❤️

Edit- sweetiejane, the best idea I ever had for hash cookies was the pre rolled choc chip dough in the fridge aisle at the supermarket lol. Just chop the weed finely & add it to the dough. Ten mins & cookies to go.

Ps: does stink your house out though.

Last edited:
Sweetyjane77

Sorry to hear. Clonzepam I take and I'm tapering. My doc over prescribed oxy to me for injuries and MS now I'm on methadone(really helps with pain). I smoke weed also and eat it. I'd try eating special brownie/cookie(pm me if you'd like the recipe)at night and try an indica for the day
:

yeah getting off both at the same time is sooooo intensely stressful and cause even more pain and anxiety and depression and despair because it feels like a war zone within me physically, emotionally, and in my daily life as a mom. It's too much to be able to deal with it. That's why I thank Jesus for going thru EVERYTHING for me because it felt anguish wayyy more than this. SO that's why I'm stuck realllly tight to His Love and Mercy and Grace. Couldn't do this w/o Him, no way.

After I wrote my original mssg about how should I use weed to get off Norco and Clonazapam, I realized it was obviously more of a problem than I normally think of because I was actually writing it down and getting it out there to ask for help from the board, venting, asking for help, and praying. THanks Board & to you already SweeetyJane

:

yeah getting off both at the same time is sooooo intensely stressful and cause even more pain and anxiety and depression and despair because it feels like a war zone within me physically, emotionally, and in my daily life as a mom. It's too much to be able to deal with it. That's why I thank Jesus for going thru EVERYTHING for me because it felt anguish wayyy more than this. SO that's why I'm stuck realllly tight to His Love and Mercy and Grace. Couldn't do this w/o Him, no way.

After I wrote my original mssg about how should I use weed to get off Norco and Clonazapam, I realized it was obviously more of a problem than I normally think of because I was actually writing it down and getting it out there to ask for help from the board, venting, asking for help, and praying. THanks Board & to you already SweeetyJane

:

Last edited:
for me you shouldn't be able to 'feel' the drug (euphoria, warmth, etc) during your taper, but the w/d's are just bearable, so like you can sleep and you're not in huge amounts of pain - the sooner you find that sweet spot the sooner you can begin to effectively taper down. there is gonna be some discomfort, there's not escaping that, but that's just a sign that your body is readjusting. as for the weed i'd just put that down as a use when needed, you don't really need a schedule for that i woulda thought?

anyway good luck!

Smoke cannabis as needed every 4-6 hours. Use edibles at night in doses of 25-100 mg based on tolerance

Dude, I could smoke an ounce of weed and 10 gras of 80% thc concentrate and it would't even touch WD from opiates or benzos. Likewise, I could nearly OD on opiates and benzos and they wouldn't do shit for my weed WD. They work on different brain systems.

The only perscription that I found helps weed WD is gabapentin.
The only thing I found helps/takes my mind off of opiate + Benzo WD is ketamine, intranasal, at sub-anesthetic doses, administered about 12-50mg every 30min-1hour. Make sure to God you have some benzo for after that runs out though. No need to be psychotic or suicidal...

norco ain't that bad to quit, the Benzos can kill you

Last edited:
[...] and that wouldn't do shit for my weed WD. They work on different brain systems.

The only perscription that I found helps weed WD is gabapentin[...]

yeah dude OP wasn't asking how to get get off weed, they were asking advice on tapering off norco and clonazepam.

yeah dude OP wasn't asking how to get get off weed, they were asking advice on tapering off norco and clonazepam.
Yes exactly, you somehow managed to qoute the 5% of my post that didn't focus on the OP's topic

What kind of law FORCES doctors to taper you off a medication, especially at a certain rate? I'm on 8 mg clonazepam and the thought of this terrifies me. My best advice would be to purchase a long duration grey area benzo and taper yourself. Over rapid cessation of benzos sucks to say the least.

I was at 5mg clonzepam and I've SLOWLY cut back. I'm now on 1mg in am and 1.5 at bedtime. My doctor lowered .5 every 2 weeks. Not much discomfort at all and I thank the weed for that. I find smoking makes me lazy in the day but also keeps me calmer so I don't feel the need to use clonzepam. Just a need now. As for the opiates I switched to methadone. You get carrys fast if it's for pain management also(in Canada anyways) . I've heard lyrica and gabapenten is good for fibro but I don't know first hand. Clonidine if you can get from a doctor helps with rls or whole body spazzing in my case lol

I was at 5mg clonzepam and I've SLOWLY cut back. I'm now on 1mg in am and 1.5 at bedtime. My doctor lowered .5 every 2 weeks. Not much discomfort at all and I thank the weed for that. I find smoking makes me lazy in the day but also keeps me calmer so I don't feel the need to use clonzepam. Just a need now. As for the opiates I switched to methadone. You get carrys fast if it's for pain management also(in Canada anyways) . I've heard lyrica and gabapenten is good for fibro but I don't know first hand. Clonidine if you can get from a doctor helps with rls or whole body spazzing in my case lol

Clonazepam and diazepam are the two easiest benzos to taper off of. That is not to say that it isn't its on little brand of hell, but it is a lot easier than lorazepam or alprazolam.

I too would like to hear why doctors are breaking the oath to do no harm.

Go With Edibles!

An oral preparation would do wonders and give you the day long sedation you need because sometimes you are so weak that you can't or don't even want to smoke! It potentiates the medications you listed nicely and only makes them more sedating. If you want to be in bed comfortable as possible, for the 1st week the effects are the strongest, you may only need something like 50mg THC extract.....theres got to be someone that can make edibles! They last 6-8hrs and give a good body high! If you can smoke weed then it will bring up the high even more so but when your hands are sweating and your coughing you may not want to smoke even if it the best weed.

ps. Poppy seeds work AMAZING for diarrhea! Better than Imodium! Yes, they can be washed...it doesn't work by ingesting trace amounts of opiates but rather taking 1-3tbs (tablespoons) every 1 1/2 - 2hrs during extreme bouts of diarrhea, the seeds soak up all the water in your intestines...if you ever put poppy seeds in water you have probably seen the seed expand to about double in size - that is because it can literally hold that water in its seeds, until excretion time! I made a fucking thread about it but I'm sure u didn't read it.....def not saying you should have esp since your going through withdraw but I've tried to mention this as many times as I could! It works AMAZING.....many times I had to resort to codeine (Tylenol 3s or t4s) in order to stop my diarrhea postponing my withdraw but if my stomach was okay then I would immediately feel much better...mobile I guess is the word and not glued to the toilet every 2-5 minutes! All in all you will have to find out what works best suits your needs!! ("double exclamation point" - Kramer).

Last edited:
An oral preparation would do wonders and give you the day long sedation you need because sometimes you are so weak that you can't or don't even want to smoke! It potentiates the medications you listed nicely and only makes them more sedating. If you want to be in bed comfortable as possible, for the 1st week the effects are the strongest, you may only need something like 50mg THC extract.....theres got to be someone that can make edibles! They last 6-8hrs and give a good body high! If you can smoke weed then it will bring up the high even more so but when your hands are sweating and your coughing you may not want to smoke even if it the best weed." - Kramer).

I had 20x 235mg thc capsules and they did nothing during opiate wd, i could take 4 of em.... Just tired and dry mouth. The fact that this benign substance is illegal is insane.

Cannabis definitely helps agitation and the cold sweats during opiate WD. Now it could intensify anxiety and other serious syptoms that manifest during a strong benzo detox so be careful. You could also try a CBD extract that can be acquired from a health food/herb store in a number of states. I would acquire some gabapentin if you are not able to do a slow drawn out benzo taper. Clonadine will work much better then propranalol. Clonadine crosses the BBB unlike propranalol and has been known to help lessen cravings for nicotine and opiates.

Last edited:
The best way to utilize the Cannabis, I feel, is to just keep it simple. Smoke only when you really need to, lest you negate some of the positive effects of the bud through acute tolerance. I would limit it to twice a day and you can make these times whichever are worst for you. Just like how some people are or are not "morning people", some people deal with, or otherwise perceive to have a much harder time with their withdrawal either upon waking up or when going to sleep. Use the bud for when you are at your worst.

I've never done a Benzodiazepine taper, but I have experience with Alcohol, which is similar in many ways. Also, I'm well experienced in withdrawing from Opioids; Heroin, more times than I'd care to remember and Methadone twice now. One of the hardest things during acute withdrawal from either, is staying hydrated and properly nourished. I found that a good strategy, when going through withdrawal, would be to prepare some kind of high-calorie, fairly nutritious meal, maybe get some fast food, something with some fat, calories, protein, whatever, that you could possibly see yourself eating.

This is when I would typically smoke; when I had my meal ready to eat. The bud helps mitigate nausea like nothing else and I've tried essentially all common anti-emetic drugs in my lifetime; Sodium Citrate, Odansetron (Zofran), Promethazine (Phenergan), Various Ginger Products and on. After smoking will be the time when it is most easy for you to eat and to drink for that matter, so I try to eat and drink as much as I can at this time.

Staying hydrated and nourished isn't going to make you feel great or normal, but it will definitely make you feel better.