• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Using Grapefruit Juice daily to help meds last longer before duration of effect wears off or withdrawal but can this daily routine back fire?

Echotango

Bluelighter
I’ve used real grapefruit juice daily for years but when I stopped using it I also lowered the dose of all my medication significantly.

My question is can daily dosing of benzos or opioids (Best examples would be methadone or clonazepam) alongside drinking real grapefruit juice before quitting only the grapefruit juice would that in anyone’s experience cause any noticeable withdrawal symptoms From lower levels of medication in your body? I

If anyone has personal experiences even remotely close to this I’m interested in reading about it.

Metabolites may accumulate if half-life is increased. I imagine other complications if long term daily but idk.

I also drank grape fruit juice an hour or so before dosing on done. I was on 48ml (240mg) for about a decade then moved to rural area where the only prescriber available wanted clients on no more than blockade doses. So I read an article in the ninetys on done potentiates and was very skeptical of the possibilities.
It referenced the effect of Grape fruit juice increasing the duration and sedation of methadone. So with a decrease from 240mg to 80 MG over 2 weeks I hardly noticed it. Then I sporadically had them together when I felt like getting a little more out of the done.
100% works.

Constantly inhibiting enzyme to make some substance more potent usually isn’t best idea but grapefruit ain’t that dangerous except for some meds and also making some less effective. I guess in your case Bodidly you would be fine if you continued to drank it and lowered dose along grapefruit. I’m sure your body adjusted to years of drinking grapefruit too.

I have been taking Methadone 80mg for 10-15 years and around the beginning I was drinking white grapefruit juice from concentration McCaine ……just half a coke can style volume container from concentrate without adding any water, just thick sour white grapefruit juice sludge half hour prior to my Methadone 80mg

It’s definitely increases the C-Max of Methadone and reduces its metabolism & clearance….making it stronger and last longer.

After a year or two of drinking this crap the acidity was too much, fuck it I said

Now just take Methadone orally during breakfast in the morning ….and still a good experience

By by
I have been taking Methadone 80mg for 10-15 years and around the beginning I was drinking white grapefruit juice from concentration McCaine ……just half a coke can style volume container from concentrate without adding any water, just thick sour white grapefruit juice sludge half hour prior to my Methadone 80mg

It’s definitely increases the C-Max of Methadone and reduces its metabolism & clearance….making it stronger and last longer.

After a year or two of drinking this crap the acidity was too much, fuck it I said

Now just take Methadone orally during breakfast in the morning ….and still a good experience
i thought grapefruit juice technically causes your blood to become more alkaline few hours hours after drinking it or some?

White grapefruit juice has an inhibiting effect on the main liver enzyme that metabolizes Methadone

When you consume large amount of WHITE grapefruit juice (thick frozen sludge from concentrate - half a coke can sized container for $1.50 at grocery store McCaine) …….Methadone you take will reach slightly higher peak serum levels in bloodstream/and/or/mu-receptors…..will take longer to metabolize/longer duration of action/slower clearance

COULD be dangerous for opioid naive users or certain DDI’s, taking other CNS depressants together, etc

A popular tablet available in the U.S. people take, much easier to take a tablet than drinking this aweful sour juice lol Cimentine ? Sp? OTC medication like Advil but obviously different MOA

Any natural supplement / drug / etc that acts as an inhibitor or competitive substrate of the liver enzyme that metabolizes Methadone will make it more potent and lasting longer ……Taking an inducer will make the Methadone rapidly metabolize and it won’t feel as powerful and effects will be gone quickly as the Methadone is rapidly metabolized due to the substance you took that acted as that liver enzyme inducer responsible

Unfortunately Cimetidine has a whole list of other side effects from rebound stomach acidity to inhibiting production of testosterone making men develop gynocomastia due to the imbalance of estrogen of testosterone hormones.

Ohhhh…..really. Interesting

I handles this issue by having my doc raise my Methadone 70mg up to 80mg with a surplus of 15 extra Metadol 25mg tablets to use for breakthrough pain as needed

Tagamet dosed 3x200mg 1 hour before use of banzo or methadone will increase duration of the drugs. I believe there are a few benzo that don’t benefit from Tagamet tablets or GFJ like omezep. And lorazepam few others that aren’t effects by Tagamet

Hunter S Thompson said:
I like to eat breakfast alone, and almost never before noon; anybody with a terminally jangled lifestyle needs at least one psychic anchor every twenty-four hours, and mine is breakfast. In Hong Kong, Dallas or at home—and regardless of whether or not I have been to bed—breakfast is a personal ritual that can only be properly observed alone, and in a spirit of genuine excess. The food factor should always be massive: four Bloody Marys, two grapefruits, a pot of coffee, Rangoon crepes, a half-pound of either sausage, bacon, or corned beef hash with diced chiles, a Spanish omelette or eggs Benedict, a quart of milk, a chopped lemon for random seasoning, and something like a slice of Key lime pie, two margaritas, and six lines of the best cocaine for dessert… Right, and there should also be two or three newspapers, all mail and messages, a telephone, a notebook for planning the next twenty-four hours and at least one source of good music… All of which should be dealt with outside, in the warmth of a hot sun, and preferably stone naked.

Ohhhh…..really. Interesting

I handles this issue by having my doc raise my Methadone 70mg up to 80mg with a surplus of 15 extra Metadol 25mg tablets to use for breakthrough pain as needed

Issue with this is I’m actually attempting to lower my methadone dose currently.

Methadone takes six hours to reach its peak - I can't get my head around taking grapefruit juice (the white juice and not from concentrate) an hour before dosing on methadone.
I guess white grapefruit must remain in the body for longer than 7-8 hours?
Curious.

Methadone takes six hours to reach its peak - I can't get my head around taking grapefruit juice (the white juice and not from concentrate) an hour before dosing on methadone.
I guess white grapefruit must remain in the body for longer than 7-8 hours?
Curious.

What do you mean?

Hi @Echotango

I have experience with the whole "potentiator" game. I know how attractive it all sounds. My honest opinion is that none of these common potentiators made a huge difference. The idea of adding that potentiator to your routine, every day, is generally a bad idea. Some of these substances have potentially harmful interactions with other substances.

I recently stopped drinking a glass of real grapefruit juice daily 1 hour before my methadone and I think I may or may not be experiencing very mild withdrawal but it could be placebo so ill see if drinking it before my dose tomorrow makes me feel any different.

If it is causing withdrawal what are my options or what would you all do if you were in my position?

Grapefruit juice does impact the pharmacokinetics and metabolism of most benzos, but not all.
Hydrocodone is brought up to near IV morphine or heroin level nod.
White grapefruit juice (approx ~500 ml or 17 fl. oz) drink all very rapidly 30 minutes before ingestion of the hydrocodone. Wash down drug with another 500 ml juice, but drink this glass more slowly.