• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Using Filter with Insulin Syringe

WickLess

Greenlighter
Hello:

I'm new here so I don't know where this should go. I am getting ready to try a subcutaneous injection of hydromorphone pills. I am wondering if it would be easiest to use an insulin syringe, and maybe one with the needle already attached, but I'm concerned about how to use a filter with that. If the needle is attached to the syringe, will it be possible to put a filter on it somewhere? Does anyone have experience with this or can make a recommendation?

I hope I've made this post correctly! Thanks very much.

nononononono

just no dude. subcutaneous pills? jist swallow them. . the only reason to put pills in a synringe is to mainline them. what you have in mind is asking for an abcess or infection for loterally zero gain

i strongly urge you to reconsider, it soubds like youre green to needles if you dont know about filtering techniqies. pill solutions are typically thick and hard to draw in a insilin pin. the proper way isbwith a 3ml syringe and a micron filter. 27g needle min. unless you've got an exchange its next to impossoble to find insilin pins larger than 30g..

read the IV megathreads forbinfo on needles in general. . but do not subcutaneois anythinf, its just bad news. BAD news.

Last edited:
I am going to pop in and agree with 99% of what infantannihilator said, sans one bit which I will describe. First off NO.... do not attempt to use any sort of filter with an insulin syringe. This doesn't mean "oh ok well then fuck filtering"... no no no. If this is all of the equipment that you have access to, then DO NOT attempt any form of injection. If you would like to make the oral route more pleasurable then do as follows on an empty stomach: Crush the Dilauded into a fine powder --> mix that powder into a small amount (20mL?) of water --> drink the liquid --> drink some grapefruit juice (although efficacy of this is not well established, it can't hurt) --> wait and enjoy. In my opinion, this is your ONLY OPTION right now. In order to show you just how far off you are from proper injection technique, I will outline it below.

Injecting Water-Soluble Tablets
1. Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) does in fact qualify for this.
2. Using a small beaker that has been sterilized (either by autoclave or 15 minute immersion in 95%+ Ethanol -- Everclear), allow to fully dry, insert powdered tablet material.
3. Using a brand new syringe (insulin is fine), draw up the appropriate amount of Bacteriostatic Injection Solution (BIS, this contains 0.9% Benzyl Alcohol and no bacteria) and place into the beaker. To determine the proper amount use this as a guide.... 1 mL per 8mg. That means that one 8mg Dilauded should be dissolved into 1mL of BIS (if using insulin syringes which are 1/2mL).
4. You now have a cloudy solution that not yet safe to inject. It must still be filtered.
5. You must now use a completely new syringe(not insulin) to draw up your solution out of the beaker. This must then be attached to a 0.2 sized wheel filter and pushed through into yet another sterile beaker.
6. In the new beaker you now have a sterile solution containing 8mg of hydromorphone within 1mL if Bacteriostatic Injection Solution. (It should be crystal clear, if not, you did it wrong.)
7. From this beaker you should now us yet another sterile syringe large enough to suck up all of the solution. Transfer it into a sterile injection solution holding unit. These come in various sizes and will have the small circular rubber spot for inserting sterile syringes. (Fun Fact: nothing except for a brand new, sterile syringe should ever penetrate that little grey rubber spot)
8. Now.... Using a brand new never used insulin syringe, puncture the small grey rubber circle on the container holding your hydromorphone solution. Suck up 45 units into your insulin syringe, leaving 5 units to pull back and insure vein penetration. (Not necessary if subcutaneous)
Note: The "recipe" can be scaled. So you can put 16mg into 2mL etc.... Hydromorphone is actually quite soluble in water, so the number of milligrams per milliliter may be increased. I DO NOT CONDONE DOING ANY OF THIS, but I believe that harm reduction is more important.
*** IF YOU CANNOT DO WHAT IS DESCRIBED ABOVE THEN DO NOT INJECT. PERIOD.*** I cannot stress this enough, it is literally life or death. There are so many infections crawling around today, many of which are highly resistant and prone to causing septicemia, which is a horrible way to die and is quite often seen in IV drug users who have ignored sterile technique. There are plenty of online vendors who will sell you exactly what you need, cheaply. There are no excuses. (and no... the FBI will not break down your door for ordering the proper supplies.)

Oh yeah, as promised, my minor point of dissent with infantannihilator is that Subcutaneous Injection is a perfectly viable route of administration. It lasts longer than IV, presents fewer complications, and is in general a lot harder to screw up. In fact, there is a lot of current research suggesting SC Dilaudid post-op instead of using mepiridine or dilaudid drips. Of course, all of this is highly contingent on sterile technique.

Thanks so much for all of this info. I'm not in any way attached to using an insulin syringe. So I will use a regular syringe and needle. But could you clarify for me a few things:

Also, are the needles and syringes interchangeable? I see that they are sold separately, as if you can swap them. So could I order the syringe and needle sizes I want separately and put them together myself? And assume that a filter will fit the syringe?

I read the Mega Thread and my shopping list looked like this:

Whatman Sterile 0.2 µm PVDF Micron Filter
Luer Lock Needle Tip 25-27gaguge for SC
Luer Lock Syringe
Bacteriostatic Water; 0.9% benzyl alcohol
Rubbing alcohol pads.
Pre-sealed vial

But these instructions are different. So I would need something like this:

2 beakers
bacteriostatic solution
4 syringes, 3cc with 27g needles
Whatman 2mm micron filter
sealed vial

Is that right?

Also, do you know how long the solution will stay fresh? Can you refrigerate it for a day or a week or does it need to be used up immediately? I'm using dilaudid for occasional pain control, so I'd probably want a few shots in a 24 hour period and then not use it again for a few weeks.

Thanks again so much, this is such a helpful site. I'm sorry if my questions aren't as clear as they should be, but I am totally new to this. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Basically it does not matter what set up you have you just DO NOT shoot pills subcutaneously. You can intravenously inject them if you have a micron filter and all the equipment needed to do so sterile, but SC pills will just lead to infection or abcess. You know how people warn you not to miss shots and if you do there are procedures to follow after that occurs to make sure you don't get infection and lose a limb. That is basically what a SC shot is, just a botched IV. I don't typically advocate IV pill use but unless you have pharmaceutical grade SC solution do not attempt this. If you need information on how to IV there is plenty of people here who can tell you how. If you are out of veins then just plug it because plugging is the exact same effect as IM/SC.

Way to complicated.... Crush pills in spoon, transfer to clean sterile shot glass or leave in spoon, mix in 1 ml sterile water (filtered water boiled for five minutes can work, but not best choice)and stir until no pill chunks are left and solution is a cloudy mix, use a sterilfilt attatchment, micron filter, or just cotton from sterile cotton balls, draw solution into injecting syringe, and inject.

This is not a very safe method by far, but it lays out the most simple way to inject and done once or twice won't lead to long term damage. Don't do a sub or IM injection without a solution pharmaceutically formulated to be an injectable solution. You will even cause damage to your veins doing iv, but if you are dead set in doing it at least understand what your doing.

Last edited:
I listed the products I was planning to buy and what I will buy based on your recommendations, above. It would be great if you could confirm these are the right supplies.

I used to grind these pills up in a mortar and pestle. I wonder if this is more thorough than just trying to dissolve them in water. Can I use a mortar and pestle if I sterilize them?

You really have been given the info you need. If this is still to complicated for you OP do not inject.... If you can not understand this you can not understand how hard dependacy and withdrawals are especially when it can all go away in a second with one shot of course only to come back with a vengence especially with hydromorphone as if saturation point is not reached the wd will subside only to be back in a half hour with a nightmare. Please reconsider going down the injection path and update us soon.

I don't know who you are, but I have not "been given the info I need". I have asked some specific follow-up questions. If you can't answer them, please stop replying to my thread.

I just skimmed over this thread so forgive me if these answers are off. The bacteriostatic water should be fine for about 3 days, and refrigerating it won't hurt if it doesn't help. If you plan to prep a couple days worth of the Dilaudid solution all at once it will probably degrade some but it will be negligible, just make sure you keep it sterile by using new needles each time.

Why are people saying its ok to subcutaneously inject pills? Might as well tell OP to go ahead and hack off his arm...

I don't know who you are, but I have not "been given the info I need". I have asked some specific follow-up questions. If you can't answer them, please stop replying to my thread.
You obviously ignored my post laying out the most basic method. It is not that I can not answer, but I will not enable you to start one of the most dangerous habits to start holding your hand babysitting you along the way. If you can not figure out what to do with the instructions provided and many guides on how to inject including a material list with one easy google search then you really should not IV opiates alone... or really at all

Do you even have narcan in case you overdose? Really are you prepared to risk your life, which would devistate those who love you, and just for a one or two second rush. I may not be giving you the advice you want, but I am giving you the advice you need. Good luck to you I am done trying to help you. Be careful and don't OD further ruining the chance real chronic pain patients have to recieve the right amounts of the right opiates RX to the.

Edit:
Why are people saying its ok to subcutaneously inject pills? Might as well tell OP to go ahead and hack off his arm...
No one did this in fact the opposite saying not to do it.... I only said it is ok with a solution formulated for IM or sub injection.... Even then it is not a good idea to make a habit of it.