• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Using Cannabis To Combat Codiene Cravings

Scorpio_Gal

Greenlighter
I'm new to this site, so not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum? I've been addicted to codiene on and off for about 8 years ( I currently take a pack-30 Nurofen Plus tablets mostly everyday, but do have breaks of one or two days here and there). I've tried everything, cold turkey, suboxone, rehab and nothing has worked. I want to tapper off but I know that the cravings get the best of me. If I could somehow use Cannabis to help combat the cravings, I know I could do this. I was just wondering, has anyone been in the same or similar situation? And has Cannabis helped with the cravings? I have used Cannabis in the past on social occasions, so I am familiar with it and what it does to me. I'm really ready to get off this stuff as its starting to really affect me physically. Any advice and/or experiences would greatly be appreciated!

I dont see what harm it could do to try. Worst case is it doesn't work, right?

I am in the same situation, apart from my dosage was almost triple yours (1000-1200mg) and i didnt take breaks. cannabis hasn't helped with cravings for opiates, but i also have a fairly high tolerance to cannabis. It greatly potentates codeine for me, so i tend to smoke too much. it does help me sleep when in withdrawals, but does little to stop me craving codeine. if you can find a really strong sativa for the days and an indica for the nights it will improve your mood and mind set.
I find the worst thing about codeine withdrawal is the shitty mood and depression so weed really helped in that department.
im gonna say the same thing i say to myself when im craving codeine. "stop being such a fucking pussy, its codeine not heroin and people successfully stop using that all the time. so pull yourself together and deal with it." this always helped when i had the urge to abuse rather than use, this is however my sixth attempt to come off codeine and i still take 60mg ish a day. i also have a buggered up meniscus in my knee though, so i kind of have to in order to walk properly. but my aim is to remove it completely as soon as i have the time off work.
anyway, my advice would be get some weed and be mean to yourself. call yourself a looser, a druggie, a pussy little bitch, you're weak and a failure if you dont do this etc.. anything to realise how pathetic your addiction is compared to a real addiction (heroin, oxy, valium etc...)
this is what i say to myself all the time and i know it sounds harsh but it helped.
much love and goodluck =]

I'm not sure how much it will help with your cravings. It helps for some, but everyone is different.

It will definiely help you with the insomnia that is sure to insue after opiate cessation. It really helped brighten my mood during the post acute withdrawal phase.

I am in the same situation, apart from my dosage was almost triple yours (1000-1200mg) and i didnt take breaks. cannabis hasn't helped with cravings for opiates, but i also have a fairly high tolerance to cannabis. It greatly potentates codeine for me, so i tend to smoke too much. it does help me sleep when in withdrawals, but does little to stop me craving codeine. if you can find a really strong sativa for the days and an indica for the nights it will improve your mood and mind set.
I find the worst thing about codeine withdrawal is the shitty mood and depression so weed really helped in that department.
im gonna say the same thing i say to myself when im craving codeine. "stop being such a fucking pussy, its codeine not heroin and people successfully stop using that all the time. so pull yourself together and deal with it." this always helped when i had the urge to abuse rather than use, this is however my sixth attempt to come off codeine and i still take 60mg ish a day. i also have a buggered up meniscus in my knee though, so i kind of have to in order to walk properly. but my aim is to remove it completely as soon as i have the time off work.
anyway, my advice would be get some weed and be mean to yourself. call yourself a looser, a druggie, a pussy little bitch, you're weak and a failure if you dont do this etc.. anything to realise how pathetic your addiction is compared to a real addiction (heroin, oxy, valium etc...)
this is what i say to myself all the time and i know it sounds harsh but it helped.
much love and goodluck =]
Valium is worse than codiene ? Nah

I mean give it a shot. However, for me, weed only exacerbates all of my worst withdrawal symptoms: RLS (to the absolute worst degree; like we're talking absolutely hate being alive because of it, air-kickboxing in my bed), anxiety, and insomnia (even after five days zero winks). Don't get me wrong I get as high as a kite, however all I am focused on is the symptoms mentioned. It's like another level of torture during a withdrawal that is already exactly that.

I've found that when it does help me is maybe 7 days in. But absolutely, certainly not during the early days of acute withdrawal. This is just my own experience - I've seen some others state the same, yet some others say that it helps them tremendously. You'll never know until you try.

Now my habit was more than codeine but any long term opiate habit is just as bad when trying to kick. I was most recently at 500+mg of Hydromorph per day plus a good 5-10 100ug fent matrix patches (one was in my mouth pretty much 24/7). Trying to kick the shit and foolishly tried weed a few days in which forced me to relapse it made the symptoms so much worse. Back up to day 12 now without it and am going to give it a shot tonight for sleep.

All the best. Wishing you a full recovery from opiates regardless of what works for you.

Cheers

-D

Last edited:
It's got Ibuprofen in it and you can't break these ones off like you used too cos it's all mixed together. (I've never tried to extract the codiene out of it). So not only am I taking 30 codiene I'm also taking 200 mg of Ibuprofen each pill. I know it's starting to have bad side effects, hence the vomiting. Iam worried that I'm going to do some serious damage if I keep going on the way iam!

Thanks to everyone who replied. Iam going to see if I can get some Weed and give it a go. It really can't make anything worse then it already is! ��

I did the whole cold turkey and fuck I was so sick. The RL were the worse, it felt like there were bugs crawling all over my body and no matter what I did it just wouldn't go away! I did it hard and going into the second week I was still getting RL and a lot of the other crap that goes along with it. I vowed I'd never touch the stuff again- how many times do we say that only to go back to what we know? I couldn't do cold turkey again, so that's why I'm thinking of cutting down to 6 a day and using the weed to help with the cravings and any withdrawals I may get. I don't know what else to do. I've tried everything else!

after day 2 of cold turkey, weed is the ONLY thing that helps me!! it lets me relax for a while.. takes away all the RLS, gives me an appetite... I could not kick without ganja. no way.