• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Using bupe for depression

TeeCee

Bluelighter
I'm considering going back on it. I was on the bupe films for about 5 years, to get off heroin. Mood wise it was actually one of the most stable periods of my life. I was able to start a business, and didn't have these dangerous dips into suicidal depression. I still had dips, but not as low. I've been clean for about 4 and a half years now. I go to NA, but I've been in and out of psych hospitals with severe depression. I get really close to suiciding. I've been on so many meds. I'm on two anti-depressants (effexor and mirtazipine) I've had ECT and I have regular Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). TMS works for me but I still have these crashes that are pretty scary. I didn't go into hospital once on suboxone, and I wasn't suicidal on it. So it is looking like an option for me. The side effects suck though. I had awful constipation, and would be sweating going for a walk in the middle of winter. It also numbed me a bit too much, but I was on higher doses for the most part. I'd be thinking about a low dose like 1mg.

Does anyone here use it for depression?
What's it like using buvidal?

Maybe try kratom first?

Buprenorphine could be a last resort option in this case. The issue is, while fast acting, the long term efficacy of opioids as antidepressants is questionable.

Buprenorphine is unique though in its Kappa Opioid Antagonistic effect, which is said to be both anti-depressive as well as reduces addictive use and behavior. I feel like bupe has something different to it than most other opi’s.

-GC

Yeah, at low doses it gives you a mood boost that lasts until the need to nap hits hard. So in that sense, it prob could do the trick, given that you enjoy naps.

Buprenorphine is unique though in its Kappa Opioid Antagonistic effect, which is said to be both anti-depressive as well as reduces addictive use and behavior. I feel like bupe has something different to it than most other opi’s.

-GC

I always assumed though that this might have been offset by its antagonistic action on the DOR (since DOR agonists have antidepressant effect). Then again im guessing there is no KOR antagonist that is also somehow a DOR agonist (and at least a partial MOR agonist). If it existed, it would be the best opioid antidepressant (especially if you add some weak NMDA-antagonism on it). Maybe some sort of morphinan?

In any event buprenorphine has clear antidepressant and stimulating actions that probably do stem from KOR antagonism.

Maybe try kratom first?
Yeah the importation and possession of kratom is illegal in Australia, which is ridiculous. And we are right next door to Indonesia too

Buprenorphine could be a last resort option in this case. The issue is, while fast acting, the long term efficacy of opioids as antidepressants is questionable.
Yeah interestingly out of all the meds I've been on it never pooped out on me mood wise over the 5 years I was on it. Other meds haven't come close to that. I'm on effexor, mirtazipine, seroquel, lithium, and I still have massive suicide ideation.

That said, if I tried it now I could have a completely different experience

Yeah, at low doses it gives you a mood boost that lasts until the need to nap hits hard. So in that sense, it prob could do the trick, given that you enjoy naps.
Yeah, although I slept solidly at night on it, I wasn't up for napping on it. I would take it in the morning and it had more of a stimulating effect. I could focus on my work really well on it

I have been using Suboxone to help with my depression. Too bad I’m getting off it now and have to hope I will find an effective antidepressant that will work for me. The chances to maintain decent mood is doubtful at the moment.

I'm considering going back on it. I was on the bupe films for about 5 years, to get off heroin. Mood wise it was actually one of the most stable periods of my life. I was able to start a business, and didn't have these dangerous dips into suicidal depression. I still had dips, but not as low. I've been clean for about 4 and a half years now. I go to NA, but I've been in and out of psych hospitals with severe depression. I get really close to suiciding. I've been on so many meds. I'm on two anti-depressants (effexor and mirtazipine) I've had ECT and I have regular Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). TMS works for me but I still have these crashes that are pretty scary. I didn't go into hospital once on suboxone, and I wasn't suicidal on it. So it is looking like an option for me. The side effects suck though. I had awful constipation, and would be sweating going for a walk in the middle of winter. It also numbed me a bit too much, but I was on higher doses for the most part. I'd be thinking about a low dose like 1mg.

Does anyone here use it for depression?
What's it like using buvidal?
I don't have an answer sorry but I do rely on norspan patch for a mood lift also. I am off it currently but going back into depression pretty bad. Can I ask what ECT is like? I am scared I am going to be committed and forced to have it done the way things are going for me right now. Sorry to interfere with your question and good luck.

I don't have an answer sorry but I do rely on norspan patch for a mood lift also. I am off it currently but going back into depression pretty bad. Can I ask what ECT is like? I am scared I am going to be committed and forced to have it done the way things are going for me right now. Sorry to interfere with your question and good luck.
ECT isn't like what you see in the movies. Not as dramatic. You are under an anaesthetic, usually propofol, and are given a muscle relaxant because the whole idea of ECT is to induce a seizure, and they want the brain effects of having a seizure without you physically moving around and potentially hurting yourself. The only parts of the body they see moving is usually your toes, and they look for that as a sign you are having the seizure. The whole procedure only really takes 10-15 minutes. The first time might be a bit longer as they need to calibrate how much current to give you. Everyone's skull has its own resistance. You're obviously pretty dazed and confused when you wake up, and for the following few hours. You might have a headache, body aches, feel fatigued. Probably the biggest side effect is memory loss, especially around the days before and after the treatment, but I think it can affect long term memory as well. Some people handle it really well, will have it in the morning and then go to work afterwards. But some people report debilitating side effects from it and claim it has caused permanent damage.

I would only ever have it done again if I really really had to. We are only really starting to see the full extent of what repeated head trauma does to the brain, and you'd have to argue pretty hard that ECT is not a trauma to the brain. We know seizures in themselves can cause brain damage. And, for me, the anti-depressant effects weren't that great, and didn't last that long.

TMS I think is the gentler route, but even then some people report long term side effects. It definitely feels less invasive, and I would choose that over ECT any day of the week. No anaesthetic needed, and I've experienced minimal side effects, and no memory loss.

Really hope you don't have to be committed and do have some say in your treatment. Are you able to be admitted to a private facility if needed?

Last edited:
Two days in a row now as my mood goes super low, I’ll pop 8mg Suboxone and suddenly I can get my work done and it’s a huge relief for me. THC on the other hand after a day made me feel so depressed.

ECT isn't like what you see in the movies. Not as dramatic. You are under an anaesthetic, usually propofol, and are given a muscle relaxant because the whole idea of ECT is to induce a seizure, and they want the brain effects of having a seizure without you physically moving around and potentially hurting yourself. The only parts of the body they see moving is usually your toes, and they look for that as a sign you are having the seizure. The whole procedure only really takes 10-15 minutes. The first time might be a bit longer as they need to calibrate how much current to give you. Everyone's skull has its own resistance. You're obviously pretty dazed and confused when you wake up, and for the following few hours. You might have a headache, body aches, feel fatigued. Probably the biggest side effect is memory loss, especially around the days before and after the treatment, but I think it can affect long term memory as well. Some people handle it really well, will have it in the morning and then go to work afterwards. But some people report debilitating side effects from it and claim it has caused permanent damage.

I would only ever have it done again if I really really had to. We are only really starting to see the full extent of what repeated head trauma does to the brain, and you'd have to argue pretty hard that ECT is not a trauma to the brain. We know seizures in themselves can cause brain damage. And, for me, the anti-depressant effects weren't that great, and didn't last that long.

TMS I think is the gentler route, but even then some people report long term side effects. It definitely feels less invasive, and I would choose that over ECT any day of the week. No anaesthetic needed, and I've experienced minimal side effects, and no memory loss.

Really hope you don't have to be committed and do have some say in your treatment. Are you able to be admitted to a private facility if needed?
Thank you for your informative reply. Can I ask where in Australia you are from? I am also from Australia and keen to try TMS. It's the second time recently I read about it so I think it's a sign. I am worried that ECT will be forced on me or I will be "convinced" into accepting it. I won't ever though. Interesting how you say about it being trauma to the brain. The other thing I am reminded on is hearing about how even riding on a jetski can cause head trauma from skipping over the waves! Not that I have done that but I thought it was interesting. Sorry to go off track.

The happiest time in my life where my depression wasn't eating me alive and my will to live was strong and my drive in life was in full gear was when I was on suboxone. That was mylngest clean time as well. Things were great in my life and I decided, like an idiot, to get off the suboxone. That's when everything went to hell again and I'm still trying to pick up the pieces. So from someone that suboxone worked miracles on all aspects of my life I would say yes I think suboxone works great for depression BUT if you are clean off subs for as long as you are do you really want to go there again? It's your choice and of course these posts are just our opinions and only you know what works best for you. Good luck with your depression I truly know exactly what it feels like. Do what is best for you and what will work to keep you healthy inside and out.

Can I ask where in Australia you are from? I am also from Australia and keen to try TMS.
I'm in Melbourne. How about you? If you want to have TMS you unfortunately need private health cover, otherwise you have to pay for it yourself. It's not on Medicare. Not yet anyway. There's definitely a push for it, but the line of thinking seem to be: if we have ECT why do we need TMS? The research for TMS now is pretty solid, so that's not the issue it would seem.

Most of the time you need to be an inpatient in a psych hospital to have TMS too. There are some outpatient TMS clinics, but only a few private health funds that will cover it. GMHBA is one of them, who I am with. Otherwise a session costs $180. A full course is usually 20 sessions, so as you can see that's quite expensive, then you usually have to have maintenance sessions. The outpatient clinic I go to is called TMS Australia, but a google will show you more.

Last edited:
BUT if you are clean off subs for as long as you are do you really want to go there again?
Yeah it's a massive choice! I'm more on the no side at the moment, just because there's a few other things I want to try, like bilateral TMS. But if all else fails I know it's there. It's just the side effects are really shit. If they weren't so shit it would be a much easier choice I reckon. You're not an idiot for wanting to get off it. I'm sure you had your own reasons as well??

If low dose of buprenorphine (0,5 - 1mg daily ) can replace all your other meds and electro/magnetic treatments I would probably go for it. It is a tough decision to make but you have to pick lesser of 2 "evils". Have you considered tramadol? If you could get prescription for slow releasing tramadol maybe that would be enough. And although not a walk in the park tramadol withdrawal is muuuch easier than buprenorphine withdrawal. At least it was for me..