Mental Health Using anti-psychotics as sleep aids...?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
This is cautioned against but,

6btLxRE.png

....according to drugs.com which carries a substantial inventory of anecdotal self reports, seroquel/quetiapine is among the most commonly used off label sleep aids.

I've shown an intolerance for zopiclone/z-drugs, and anti-histamines like promethazine/nytol etc.

I additionally tried marijuana, which I hated.

And melatonin (circadin), which made me unashamedly horny - horrible.

Most recently I've been using a low dose of mirtazapine, 2 mg's (several anecdotal reports on drugs.com of this being commonly effective).

It is effective and I get about 6 hours, but there are behavioral side effects that make it unsustainable.

Moving onto low dose Quetiapine seems like a logical next step.

Low dose quetiapine works extremely well for me for insomnia, doses as low as 12.5mg (1/4 of a 50mg tablet). If I am having a lot of trouble sleeping I will take 25mg, but I will feel a bit groggy the next morning. The lower dose doesn't have this problem, but still helps me sleep.

Low dose quetiapine works extremely well for me for insomnia, doses as low as 12.5mg (1/4 of a 50mg tablet). If I am having a lot of trouble sleeping I will take 25mg, but I will feel a bit groggy the next morning. The lower dose doesn't have this problem, but still helps me sleep.
Seroquel is excellent for sleep, best sleep I can get, better than Ambien CR.

Last edited:

Did you ever try olanzapine for sleep?

How does it stack up against seroquel?

some of those ain't even anti psychotics so I wouldn't believe anything in that

Most of them aren't anti-psychotics.

It's a list of self reported hypnotics, amongst which seroquel features.

i.e. off label seroquel is used as commonly to treat insomnia as many intended hypnotics.

I never could tolerate Seroquel it gives me heart palpitations and knocks me out solid. Not in a good way either. These days i take Zopiclone which works wonders for me usually.

Mirtazapine worked really well for sleep for me as did seroquel.

They are pretty good and only problem is some grogginess from seriously the next morning. 25mg is a good start, wouldn't try a high dose first up as that's just dumb.

Also its wise to check drug interactions with recreational drugs if you need to plan ahead.

Not sure if either dont mix well with other meds but if there's mo issue there's a good sleep ahead of you and relatively tolerance build up free, addictions to these are not really a worry compared to other meds too.

Mirtazapine worked really well for sleep for me as did seroquel.

They are pretty good and only problem is some grogginess from seriously the next morning. 25mg is a good start, wouldn't try a high dose first up as that's just dumb.

Also its wise to check drug interactions with recreational drugs if you need to plan ahead.

Not sure if either dont mix well with other meds but if there's mo issue there's a good sleep ahead of you and relatively tolerance build up free, addictions to these are not really a worry compared to other meds too.
Love your new avatar Daisy and your masturbating on the toilet location,wish you'd send me a picture of yourself through PM, I bet your beautiful.

At 25-50 mg seroquel is not even an anti-psychotic. It’s basically functioning as a an anti-histamine and that’s why it puts you out. If you need an anti-psychotic they’ll be dosing you seroquel at maybe 300mg. It’s dose dependent.

At 25-50 mg seroquel is not even an anti-psychotic. It’s basically functioning as a an anti-histamine and that’s why it puts you out. If you need an anti-psychotic they’ll be dosing you seroquel at maybe 300mg. It’s dose dependent.

This is true and can also be said for mirtazapine at the dose I'm using it (2 mg).

It has no anti-depressant effects at that dose.

However, and crucially, I have found given the receptor affinity profile and pharmacology of each drug, they essentially have their own "personality".

That personality in some capacity takes over from our non-drug-affected personality, modifies it.

In many respects, this is the purpose of drug therapeutics, to take over when the disposed state is dysfunctional.

Therefore, even at low doses my experience has been, if the drug is not fit for the intended purpose and is being used off label to treat something else, it's outcome is still counter productive.

i.e. at 2 mg, I shouldn't have to worry about negative implications of mirtazapine on mood (positive or negative), or personality etc., but the practical outcome demonstrates otherwise.

My hope in this instance is that, a drug from this class (anti-psychotics) may be more suitable.

I say this cause, I've had some extremely hairy moments over the last 18 months or so with mood/emotion "flares" with the potential for violence, uncontrollable violence.

So perhaps it's more fitting that I use this drug class at extremely low dose as, the personality effects despite not being "clinically relevant", still make an impression.

Mirtazapine is mostly useful just for the negative symptoms of psychotic disorders.

Seroquel is a weak ap. At lower doses it hardly affects mood. Still legit for bpd though, as it is officially licensed. Main metabolite is a potent NRI if I recall right. Mood stabilizers don't really have the depth of antipsyhcotics.

I say this cause, I've had some extremely hairy moments over the last 18 months or so with mood/emotion "flares" with the potential for violence, uncontrollable violence.

Is there any correlation between these 'flares' and your experiments with stimulants? It would be a shame to medicate yourself if your mood/emotional dysregulation was really being caused by drugs. That has happened to me in the past.

Is there any correlation between these 'flares' and your experiments with stimulants? It would be a shame to medicate yourself if your mood/emotional dysregulation was really being caused by drugs. That has happened to me in the past.

I had read and even seen in the series "breaking bad" that stimulants can make some folk "loco".

In my case, maybe I was using "meh"-amphetamine but I found them soothing and elevating, not remotely crazy inducing.

I've actually used stimulants less than a handful of times over the past few months and some side effects for me personally make it so that unless it was absolutely clinically necessary, I could/would never use them again.

In any case, unfortunately the violent tendency or "emotional flare" happened primarily whilst using promethazine.

And the weird thing is, I'm thinking it may not have been a bad thing in one way.

I moved to mirtazapine (7.5 mg) after prometh stopped working (was using it as a sleep aid), and some scum bag got in my face a few days ago.
My nervous system literally went weak and I shied away (this never happens to me, I can stand up for myself).

Under EXACTLY those circumstances on prometh, my mind went into "kill or be killed" mode and the appearance of that was enough to frighten off any creeps etc.

So, I think mirtazapine basically, weakens me?
Which is why I've discontinued it as of two days ago.

I was given olanzapine 2 years ago, it really knocked me out. Felt groggy the next day, that's why I didn't like using it in the end the side effects of gorogginess and tiredness were too much. And the weight gain too.

Unless it's life threatening insomnia and nothing else works, this practice should be abolished imho, although it's preferable to benzos.

Quetiapine works well for me.
I usually take 50mg (along with 75mg Trazodone) and that works really well. If the insomnia is particularly persistent I'll take 100mg.