• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using alcohol instead of opiates / switching addictions essentially?

FreedomCalls

Bluelighter
Has anyone else successfully quit opiates and now just socially / regularly drinks? I am off of a heroin a few years but now I've been drinking, usually around 6 beers a night, sometimes more sometimes less. I don't really use much drugs anymore just recreational MDMA, some stimulants and thats really about it. My life is going pretty well right now and I just hope I don't try and use heroin again because the last few times I've overdosed and it's been a huge mess.

Is it possible to replace a heroin addiction with alcohol and life a successful life?

Has anyone else successfully quit opiates and now just socially / regularly drinks? I am off of a heroin a few years but now I've been drinking, usually around 6 beers a night, sometimes more sometimes less. I don't really use much drugs anymore just recreational MDMA, some stimulants and thats really about it. My life is going pretty well right now and I just hope I don't try and use heroin again because the last few times I've overdosed and it's been a huge mess.

Is it possible to replace a heroin addiction with alcohol and life a successful life?

Hey, Freedom:

I'm in a bind myself. I have a messed up spine and my opioids are being cut, soon to be discontinued. The doctors know most people turn to alcohol and don't give a rat's arse. I find myself drinking more also. I don't want to, but the pain is God awful. That said, I tend to agree that screwing up your liver is not a great way to go. Have some blood work done and see how your liver is functioning, if you can. I know mine are elevated slightly, but I'm not jaundiced or have dark urine. If you get abdominal pain, watch out. Best wishes to you.

Not the best example of my own advice. But would it be as easy available.

Sold openly. Although in reality it is much cheaper as booze. Would it be equally priced I would opt for Kratom.
Harmreduction wise. but As you had an Heroin addiction maybe it is not wise. Relapses and such. But I am in a sorta like sit, only coming from Kratom.

But Chemically put it down, Ethanol is downright poison. 6 consumption's a day seems imo unlickely to derail your live. Your liver maybe will take some damage. I drink a multitude of that some days, still alive and functional. Doing for a year or so. At the start it was 1/ 3 beers a day, it progresses slow but surely.

Check out liver protection through herbs and such. Milk Thisle has a good rep among others.

Ethanol is a terrible addiction to cultivate, the real secret is to relearn how to enjoy life without drugs. No substitutions

you can possibly use it to wean off opiates but pretty much every opiate alternative is addictive in their own right unfortunately the best way is not to do drugs, but i can state Pregabalin, others have stated gabapentin but pregabalin in semi stupid doses (600-1800mg) seem to offset the opiate withdrawal symptoms if the meds don't knock you out altogether
Becoming addicted mentally or phyisically to alcohol is way more of an issue than opiates in a way, because you can genuinely die from alcohol withdrawal if you drink that much

It seems as if with alcohol, the ammount needed increases rapidly. Coupled with the toxicity that makes it even more dangerous. You can go up from 1/ 3 a day to 12/ 18 in a few years time.

Never had that happen with GHB/ GBL or Kratom. They seemed to stay active at a certain dose and on that I could maintain.

Alcohol addiction is terrible, if you've seen somebody getting shaking hands, then seizures several times and end up in delirium, and that is just from 4 month daily use, you would stay away from it. Why would you want to change addiction, why not stop all together? If you must, then change to kratom or weed.

It sounds like youre doing better, but you should try and have some days off. Maybe try to gradually cut down the drinking and get it to 2-3 days off a week, and keep going from there.
Drinking every day is a trap many of us opiate addicts fall into.

It seems like it's working for you at the moment. If you can keep it there or better drink every other day, I don't think that it will be a problem. On the other hand, there are lots of ex-heroin addicts who became alcoholics (I mean physically dependent) and they're in much worse condition than before. Also, keep in mind, alcohol causes a much quicker deterioration than opiates. Good luck.

Last edited:
Your substituting on addiction for another. You need to address the root and get help for that. Alcohol will only appear to work for a period of time. It is a slippery slope. You would do better to get off the alcohol and deal with whats left over.

Alcohol is a caustic which destroys biological systems which is precisely why yeast make it . . . it is possible to get off alcohol with narcotics, but not vice versa -- and nor should it be as alcohol has a high risk of organic damage to practically every system of the body with prolonged high-dose use whereas narcotics do not do this and there is strong anecdotal evidence that a stable dose of narcotics over a period of years to decades can add to lifespan. Not so with alcohol.

NO! Alcohol will destroy your body, your mind and your life FAR faster than opiates ever would. Please reconsider.

I agree: while h has a high addiction liability and A high overdose risk, it is otherwise benign in terms of health effects.

Alcohol will ruin your health in a few years with quite a few potential ailments.

funny how the worst drugs of all are legal(nicotine and alcohol) and the drugs that are not so much detrimental for your health(weed, mdma, lsd, heroin) in its purest forms, are not legal. The prohibition bullshit has to end seriously, I wonder if one day I'll be able to go to the store and buy 10 grams of pure diamorphine at my local pharmacy otc, oh I long for those days to come.

funny how the worst drugs of all are legal(nicotine and alcohol) and the drugs that are not so much detrimental for your health(weed, mdma, lsd, heroin) in its purest forms, are not legal. The prohibition bullshit has to end seriously, I wonder if one day I'll be able to go to the store and buy 10 grams of pure diamorphine at my local pharmacy otc, oh I long for those days to come.

Seriously, I'm not an alcohol prohibitionist, but I'm seriously of the opinion that all drugs that have a better safety profile than alcohol should be totally legal, like you can buy them at Walmart legal, it's hypocritical that they aren't.

Seriously, I'm not an alcohol prohibitionist, but I'm seriously of the opinion that all drugs that have a better safety profile than alcohol should be totally legal, like you can buy them at Walmart legal, it's hypocritical that they aren't.
Totally man, you know how many ppl die each year cause of drunk drivers??? directly and indirectly, thousands of thousands, and how many ppl get cancer from smoking tobacco? Jesus, seriously the only reason drugs are dangerous is because they are laced with nasty cuts otherwise they would be less dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes. Just imagine if you could buy pure mdma at a store, a 150mg pill, it would probably cost u 5€/£/$ you would have a good time all night long, be safe and wouldn't be scared of dying from PMA intoxication.Same with heroin or LSD

The concept of a hardcore drug addict being able to have a glass of wine at a block party in recovery is ridiculous. It is one of those things that is possible, but it just does not typically work out for people. Alcohol is the fucking devil by the way. If you're thinking that it is a positive life decision, I would definitely disagree. Opioids, believe it or not, are not actually toxic to the body in appropriate dosages. You can theoretically use Heroin for your entire life without much consequence. I think you'll find that the lifestyle is often much more detrimental than the drug itself. Rest, sleep, nutrition etc. are often ignored.

Heroin always gets the spotlight. Nobody gives a shit about an Alcohol addiction. They want that juicy shit. In reality, Alcohol is much more harmful to the individual than Opioids. It slowly poisons nearly every system in the body. It causes social, physical and mental destruction at such a level that these people often end up completely alone. OP, you are not likely to be able to use Alcohol responsibly post-addiction. This doesn't make you any less of a man, but I would definitely start familiarizing yourself with the idea.