• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Used to love weed, but since I turned 30, the experience is often unpleasant

buuuurps

Bluelighter
The title basically says it all. I started doing weed when I was 16 and the next 10-12 years included various phases of use, from smoking everyday for a few months to smoking a few times a week to smoking rarely or even quitting for about a good year or so twice - however, when I did smoke, the experience was almost always enjoyable, with very few exceptions. When I got into my late twenties and then my 30s though, that started to change.

Now I often feel like there is something overwhelming to the effect, it is just somehow "too much" (although I don't take excessive doses at all), and this can escalate into feelings of intent unpleasantness. Negative thoughts may also be a part of the mix if I am having a bit of a depressive phase, but they don't have to be. Usually, if I am feeling good or at least ok before getting high, then I can keep those negative feelings of being "overwhelmed" or "unable to keep up with the drug" at bay, though this does require me to sort of actively manage the trip to a degree that used to not be necessary. And of course, if I'm in a bad mood / bad shape to begin with, or if I am exposed to unexpected stressor during the experience, then this act of managing the trip becomes more difficult to do and more likely to fail.

Also, there is a second (probably unrelated?) aspect that has crept into my weed experiences in the last years, which has to do with the increased sensitivity to bodily sensations. This can be nice (e.g. when having sex on weed), but lately, I often found it very annoying when my body was sore from a workout, because weed seemed to make those feelings of soreness a lot more pronounced / noticable. I don't recall having this issue earlier in my life, although I certainly did have a long stretches of time where I smoked weed and also did sports regularly.

Has anyone else had a similar trajectory with their THC use? Did you find a way to remedy this issue? Are there perhaps certain strains that would be favorable in this situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a really similar feeling towards it. I stopped smoking bc it just amped up my anxiety and made me think everyone like really did not like me. I smoked everyday for a while but then it turned into “why tf did I do this to myself again” I’m going to try smoking again but someone told me mixing lavender in it would help? I’ll post back here if it did or not for me after. I know any sativa for me makes it a lot worse, also maybe it could be too potent? I never looked too much into the science side of cannabis or anything but I do recall having a better time with mid-lows bc I could control it better and not be overwhelmingly mind screwed.

Sup sup welcome to Bluelight @buuuurps!

I'm 29 and like you said, ive found it easier to get stuck in negative feedback loops.

When i was younger i had less worries. I think, for me, that's what it boils down too.

You're absolutely right that it doesn't magically put you in a good mood. I agree that it's all about your environment prior to smoking.

How much do you smoke when you do? Honestly one nice hit off some top shelf shit should have you nice. Chill on it for 5 minutes. Redose if comfortable. IMO.

I never looked too much into the science side of cannabis or anything but I do recall having a better time with mid-lows bc I could control it better and not be overwhelmingly mind screwed.

Middies make me tired :yawn:

Sometimes i even get a headache.

I'd recommend getting a low THC strain that is good quality and take literally one good hit. But whatever works for you. Everyone reacts to things so differently.

When I a teenager I smoked weed everyday. Then when I was on probation I smoked K-2 to subsitute for weed. Somewhere along the line, after getting off probation, everytime I would smoke, my anxiety would sky rocket. Needless to say it's been 10 years. I still can not smoke without feeling extreme anxiety. I see people my age that have been smoking for years that are just fine. I wonder what caused weed to effect me like this. I almost think it has something to do with the K-2.

Yeah I am the same way. Now when I smoke I feel the weight of all my troubles and just get a feeling of impending doom . I really like the delta 8 gummies and Cbd though , totally relaxes you and no anxiety .

I am also the same. Smoked weed every day until around 30. I vape d8 now but cannabis makes me uncomfortably high and makes me dizzy + strong auditory hallucinations. It's just not the same anymore.

And like others said I also get stuck in some nasty thought loops which is super lame.

d8 is a lot easier to manage

Last edited:
Thanks for the friendly replies, everyone! So at least I'm not the only one having this issue.
I switched to d8-thc and now I can get stoned again without wigging out.
D8 sounds like a good alternative. Unfortunately, I live in Germany, where weed is illegal. You can still find someone to sell you regular weed quite easily, but we don't have a culture of fancy THC-startups here, so all those new / experimental strains are pretty much impossible to come by.

How much do you smoke when you do?
Actually, I don't smoke any more at all these days (though the very few times that I have in recent years, the results have been similar). Instead, I usually eat one cookie, which contains around 0.2-0.3 grams of peace. I don't think the dose is too high. It's kind of hard to explain, but it doesn't feel like I took too much per se; rather, it feels like I took an appropriate amount, but the effects are too much to handle regardless. A few years ago, I would get a lot higher than I do now and have no issue whatsoever. Obviously, I could take less, and that would most likely reduce the negative side effects, but it would also reduce the desired effects, so..

Hey @buuuurps, welcome! :)

Well, as soon as you turn 30, the licence to be a pothead expires, the good times are over and life is all downhill from there, don't you know? *joking*

I also had a very carefree relationship with the green stuff back in the day which, for many people it seems, is alluring to use is careless, myself included. Reading many subjective stories/paths of people regarding cannabis on here really broadened my view on this, so I recommend that. At a time where I was abusing, well everything basically, I had a pretty nasty experience with a alcohol-cannabis-combo, which consequently led to a long break cause shit just wan't working anymore. Anxiety plus a very uncomfortable body load replaced being stoned happily. :confused: In a way I was kind of asking for it, had a period using powerful noids (DON'T do it kids!!) which I would bet my ass would have never happend if cannabis was not illegal! This criminalization thing is just a moronic harmful farce, as I'm sure you'll know. Mixing cannabis a lot with other stuff and usually going in 'for the kill' full blast, ..not so ideal for many people either, I think. Also the less predictable psychedelic side of cannabis was not so apparent for me, including the possibility of paradox reactions (even with CBD). Or using it during opioid withdrawal, especially sativas; not sure this is the smartest thing to do, at least for me.

But after giving it time, stopping to mix substances in general and taking it easy, I'm pleased to see that I found my way back to the positive sides of it, it seems. I'm certainly more 'respectful' with it one could say. Taking my mindset into account, which for sure changed with age as many have already pointed out. Strains play a role too of course, perhaps go for some indica or a mellow hybrid, but as you said with the all the prohibition BS :mad:, ..it's suboptimal.

I'm a bit confliced, I have to admit. One side is, I don't think it's the best to go all in, when one is prone to anxiety, obviously. Usually take a moderate hit, look how it feels, when I like, I go for more. 🥴 But then, I kind of feel I had to bath my body properly in the natural cannabinoid profile of a plant again and add nothing else to it, sort of to clear my system or 'override' this negative experience or conditioning one could say. Does that make sense? Like properly blowing out the chimney after not heating for a longer period.

I think if your interest (in cannabis) persists, it's not the worst idea to give it a gentle try every now and then while avoiding 'heroic acts', and then you'll see what happens..

Greetings

I figured I'd bump this thread since, unfortunately, my relationship to weed is still basically the same as what I outlined in my original post. The weird thing is I am otherwise not at all prone to anxiety. I really only get this anxious, overwhelmed, unpleasant feeling when I smoke a joint or eat edibles. I find this to be rather frustrating, because I used to love weed for many years, and it would be a nice and (comparatively speaking) rather harmless drug to use if only I could enjoy it again. I also read reports of MANY people who have the same problem, so I hope perhaps others have stumbled on a solution that they might want to share.

I think those of you who pointed out the generally higher level of stress / pressure / anxiety in adulthood as the reason why weed turns sour for many people after adolescence are definitely on to something. Then again, there are also many adults who do live stressful lives and are still able to enjoy weed, so that can't be the whole answer.

I have tried using CBD oil / capsules before smoking, as this is frequently recommended, but that didn't seem to make a difference for me. What does work is taking Valium / Xanax / some other benzo beforehand, but that is kind of overkill - I really wouldn't want to use benzos every time I smoke weed long-term. Obviously, there are a million other drugs out there that one might try to combine with weed to limit these negative side effects, perhaps someone has made positive experiences trying that?

Anyway, just figured I'd throw this out there in the hope that maybe someone else who has the same problem came up with an ingenious solution. Cheers!

I have tried using CBD oil / capsules before smoking, as this is frequently recommended, but that didn't seem to make a difference for me. What does work is taking Valium / Xanax / some other benzo beforehand, but that is kind of overkill - I really wouldn't want to use benzos every time I smoke weed long-term
Actually, Using CBD before consuming thc can enhance the negative effects of the THC, you are far better off combining it with the THC together, id highly recommend if you did consider giving it a try to get some CBD flower (some are like 10%CBD, 0.3-1% THC) and mixing just a pinch of some high strength cannabis with it , literally a tiny bit and then see how that is , you might get that mild cannabis experience you was once used to before.

Also im glad you identify that taking benzos just to tolerate the negative effects of weed is not a viable or sensible option in the long term

The title basically says it all. I started doing weed when I was 16 and the next 10-12 years included various phases of use, from smoking everyday for a few months to smoking a few times a week to smoking rarely or even quitting for about a good year or so twice - however, when I did smoke, the experience was almost always enjoyable, with very few exceptions. When I got into my late twenties and then my 30s though, that started to change.

Now I often feel like there is something overwhelming to the effect, it is just somehow "too much" (although I don't take excessive doses at all), and this can escalate into feelings of intent unpleasantness. Negative thoughts may also be a part of the mix if I am having a bit of a depressive phase, but they don't have to be. Usually, if I am feeling good or at least ok before getting high, then I can keep those negative feelings of being "overwhelmed" or "unable to keep up with the drug" at bay, though this does require me to sort of actively manage the trip to a degree that used to not be necessary. And of course, if I'm in a bad mood / bad shape to begin with, or if I am exposed to unexpected stressor during the experience, then this act of managing the trip becomes more difficult to do and more likely to fail.

Also, there is a second (probably unrelated?) aspect that has crept into my weed experiences in the last years, which has to do with the increased sensitivity to bodily sensations. This can be nice (e.g. when having sex on weed), but lately, I often found it very annoying when my body was sore from a workout, because weed seemed to make those feelings of soreness a lot more pronounced / noticable. I don't recall having this issue earlier in my life, although I certainly did have a long stretches of time where I smoked weed and also did sports regularly.

Has anyone else had a similar trajectory with their THC use? Did you find a way to remedy this issue? Are there perhaps certain strains that would be favorable in this situation?
I'm on the same boat as you my friend, I'm nearly 30 ( almost 28) and I also started smoking weed when I was 15-16. I dibt't enjoy it anymore, not a single bit. After several rehab stints and phases of heavy opiate/cocaine abuse, weed feels different to me. I used to enjoy hanging out with my friends at the time and just do this everyday : smoke/walk around/laugh from stupid shit. Now if I try to do that....I feel idk weird, feel like I'm too old to do that kinda shit. I think it is related to my PTSD also after being abused in rehab and other shit. In a few words, smoking weed feels dull to me now, I don't enjoy it anymore. At its time it felt good but now it's just meh. Stay safe bro

OP try switching to something else? I love weed edibles , and I'll swap it up on how I want to feel, like sativa, indica, or hit up the delta 8,&0s, all produce a bit different effect, but for me, my eyes glaze the fuck over and i just want to chill.
I'm hitting a sativa weed pen now at work because it gives me a walking stones feeling, where i can work (but want to sit down).

I figured I'd bump this thread since, unfortunately, my relationship to weed is still basically the same as what I outlined in my original post. The weird thing is I am otherwise not at all prone to anxiety. I really only get this anxious, overwhelmed, unpleasant feeling when I smoke a joint or eat edibles. I find this to be rather frustrating, because I used to love weed for many years, and it would be a nice and (comparatively speaking) rather harmless drug to use if only I could enjoy it again. I also read reports of MANY people who have the same problem, so I hope perhaps others have stumbled on a solution that they might want to share.

I think those of you who pointed out the generally higher level of stress / pressure / anxiety in adulthood as the reason why weed turns sour for many people after adolescence are definitely on to something. Then again, there are also many adults who do live stressful lives and are still able to enjoy weed, so that can't be the whole answer.

I have tried using CBD oil / capsules before smoking, as this is frequently recommended, but that didn't seem to make a difference for me. What does work is taking Valium / Xanax / some other benzo beforehand, but that is kind of overkill - I really wouldn't want to use benzos every time I smoke weed long-term. Obviously, there are a million other drugs out there that one might try to combine with weed to limit these negative side effects, perhaps someone has made positive experiences trying that?

Anyway, just figured I'd throw this out there in the hope that maybe someone else who has the same problem came up with an ingenious solution. Cheers!

it's happened to me and usually happens if i take too long of a break

i would recommend 2 things, a weaker strain would be one

the other would be to vape your flower with a vaporizer at lower temps - have you looked into that? ive read the paranoia/anxiety happens closer to around 400 degrees but not so much at 350 - i forget where i read it, it was a while ago, but i'll look again for it

Find some Indica or high CBD weed.
Quit taking edibles and smoke it.
Try tiny amounts. Take mouthfuls or partial mouthfuls of smoke.
It may feel like "not enough" of a buzz. This is old mental habits which you need to break. Go only by whether you feel good/relaxed/ whatever you are after. Do not go by if you "feel stoned".
Smoking will facilitate finding the right level. One tiny hit, then wait 10-15 minutes. You'll figure it out. It's a process.

It's actually a gift to be able to get a good effect from a little bit. Just enjoy that.

Yes, pot is harder to enjoy when you have the responsibilities of being a bit older. I didn't smoke for decades.
I'm retired now and still have to set times and rules for when I can smoke and not worry about "what needs to be done".
Set a time for when you can just say, "I've done all I can with my responsibilities for the moment. I'm taking a break from them." Friday or Saturday night is common for that for a reason. ;)