• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Use of clonidine while on a beta blocker (prescribed) for Opiate withdrawal

RTrain

Bluelighter
I have some 0.3 mg clonidine for an upcoming opiate withdrawal. Well its for the switch from fentanyl to suboxone, which will be no fun as I've done it before and my tolerance is higher now.

I also take a small dose of a cardiac selective beta blocker called Nebivolol. Its not much different than Atenolol, aside from it being stronger per mg and being a bit more cardiac selective. Plus, it has some very mild vaso-dilatory effect (I am not sure if Atenolol also has this effect, it very well may, as well). I was wondering if it will be safe to take the clonidine while I am waiting to induce the suboxone and during the stabilization period? which will be pretty tough coming off the fent habit I have(like arguable as bad as a 60-90 mg oxycodone cold turkey, I have done both). Also is .3 mg too high of a dose? Especially with no past use of any alpha agonist. I would think starting at .15 or .1 would be more reasonable.

The beta blocker I take is a very small daily dose, its only half the normal starting dose for an adult (I was Rx'd it at around 25 years old.) It helped lower my usually high resting heart rate, which I liked. But the initial full dose lowered it a little too much so I cut the pill in half and liked how it lowered the rate. It still doesn't lower my blood pressure that much, I think it prevents it from going up from the stress of the high heart rate. Much rarer for me to get palpitations now. My CP is still normall around 130/80 so I don't think taking the clonidine in a normal dose will be an issue.

I am very interested to see how much clonidine helps with w/d, as I have gone through a lot of it and this will be the first time trying it as a w/d aide.

I was under the impression that alpha blockers and beta blockers should never be taken together because it can likely lead to dangerous hypotension. How much is still safe to take, I would leave to your healthcare professional, seems like a multivariable equation to solve if you are also withdrawing from opioids.

Be careful.

I agree with solipsis. Everything I've read says not to combine the two, it can be dangerous.

Well if I'm in withdrawal, or basically in withdrawal as I'd be taking prob just like .1 or .15 maybe 2x/day (not sure how long half life is). But, as I said its a very low beta blocker dose with relatively little effect on the BP and more on the pulse rate. My BP is not regularly high but its not low either, 130-140/80-90, which if anything is considered a little bit high, especially on a med. Plenty of people take both drugs, I know that. Also I am pretty sure my BP with be higher than normal while in w/d.

If you do decide to take the Clonidine I would go for the .1 mg dose for starters and at least try that and give it a full 24 hours minimum before withdrawals, hypotension would make a withdrawal even more horrible besides being dangerous (organ blood perfusion is important too but mainly bloodflow to brain). Clonidine has around a 20 hr half life btw, that's a long time to be gasping for air but Clonidine can help with the sympathetic rebound from withdrawals I've heard. For me personally .3mg causes hypotension and can leave me breathless for a long ass night, I do okay on .1 or .2. Hard to say combined with a beta blocker though. Experiment lightly, .3mg could make for a very bad 2 days.

Is propranolol known to help with WDs??

Edit: also Clonidine withdrawals are something to be reckoned with themselves, but apparently if you use it to cut the sympathetic rebound for opiates you will get your actual sympathetic rebound when you stop the Clonidine.

Last edited: