• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

USA, WA Recreational dispensary open today PRICES ARE INSANE

ImagineBetter

Bluelighter
I checked out a dispensary in Washinton today, it was just about what I expected. A very small selection and extremely marked up prices.

Sour Kush 2 Grams - $55
Sour Kush Pre-roll 5 Grams - $80
Blue Dream 2 Grams - $55 4 Grams - $100
Famous Kush 2 Grams - $55

I think I will stick with my old guy.

100 dollars for 4 fucking grams, you have to be kidding me

Last edited:
I went down there when they opened up. The prices are an absolute joke.

The Liquor Control Board will figure it out once they realize how much tax revenue they are missing out on. Legal prices must match the (black) market prices. Weed is too easy to grow to force everyone into the shop to pay the tax and premium.

In Seattle they have had grey market recreational businesses for over a year which openly operate and advertise (and pay taxes on their income). They also sell concentrates and edibles, which the Liquor Board has yet to approve for sale in the state stores.

Part of the problem is the level of insane rules and micromanagement that growers, distributors and retailers have to follow. Which leads to a shortage in product because not enough people have been able to jump through the hoops fast enough. Hence, higher (pun intended) prices.

And if you literally can't afford to pay legal retail prices (at the moment....they will fall), you can do one of three things; 1) not smoke 2) buy black/grey market 3) grow your own. The state gets cut out in all of those 3 alternatives.

I understand why retailers want to open NOW, but if I was in retail Cannabis in Washington and could afford; I'd stay closed until I had a constant supply.

Dawglaw; you are right; legal prices must come close to black market.

I can either buy an ounce of weed retail, or an ounce of weed black market (and pay a couple of utility bills, buy groceries, a bunch of microbrews and some pizza). The Seattle delivery market has currently got retail beat. Easily.

Anyone remember the bit about killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

Tom

There's no cause for concern. Legalization will expand, evolve, and improve. It sucks now but it will get better.

First one opened today? No, dude, they opened last week and most (if not all) shops ran out of product way faster than they anticipated. Stores that ran out of product closed their doors until there were able to legally source more.

The mark-up was predicted last week to go up to $25/gram minimum in Washington state. I never found out what the initial prices were when the shops opened up last Tuesday, but hopefully for you guys this raise in cost will be temporary.

The problem here was that the state licensed roughly 80 growers out of the ~2,600 that applied as of the first day of sales for Washington's pot shops. Fuckin' less than 4% of applicants, man, and if the shops want to stay in business then they're only going to source from state-licensed growers. Supply and demand, brutha, supply and demand...

Last edited:
/\ that is insane that less than 4% of applicants were approved. To put in bluntly, I think there is just far too much money that can be generated through marijuana sales. Most if not all major pharmacetical companies have plans to sell tincture for heroin prices. It is through means of legislation that most corporations develop a death hold on a market and create their own oligarchy. Money buys laws through lobbyist. Tobacco is a plant much similar to marijuana in that it can easily be grown, dried, and smoked and yet how many cigarette smokers have tobacco plants in their back yard? Not many unfortunately, and although I haven't researched it myself, it is pretty hard to grow commercial tobacco unless you are already a tycoon. The same is true of coca and poppy, its not like coke and heroin is made in high grade sophisticated factories(well, not most of it)- most of it is made in jungle like conditions. 4% sounds like you have to know/ be related to the right people, and an attempt to control supply and demand.

Also one of the reasons I love pot smokers. Of all the drug user cultures- coffee and alcohol included, stoners are the most innovative. I hope we don't let huge corporations take over and control weed. I have a hard time seeing that happen as there is and has been such a huge and thriving underground culture of growing, and it has been much more illegal than it currently stands. Part of the price spike is people trying to be compliant with the new regulation, because after all legal weed is every stoners dream- or so we thought. IF regulation proves to be more burdensome than growing underground, people will go back to black market. The black market will inevitably start to thrive being that the more acceptable recreational use becomes, the less taboo, the less sense harsh punishments and strict laws regarding it will make, and ultimately less "illegal" it will become. This is the current progression the market has made and will continue to make imo. The "green rush" in california was caused by just this, except under the guise of "medicinal"- not to take away from the medical movement, but it is true there are quite a few people who have cards without legitimate medical uses. The medical laws have served as a route to legal recreational use, just like during alcohol prohibition doctors were giving out rxs for alcohol- give me a break.

In the society we live within, it all comes down to dollars and who is getting them. If more funds can be raised by taxing legal use rather than raids, imprisonment and rehab, it will go national in the same way that medical is going near national. Its why they simply can't just make it legal. The world wouldn't go crazy, there is just too much money to be made.

Part of the problem that I see in the supply/demand argument (and that is very real) is that the supply is legislatively low (at the moment), whereas the demand now is what the demand was 2 weeks before it became legally available. So to me, that says it's not quite legal enough. At the minimum, home growing in any jurisdiction is what I want.

Tom

From what I understand about Colorado, and assuming Washington will act similar, the legalization of cannabis for recreational use will spike initial sales due to tourism largely. Being that it is still only the second state is the US and still one of few world wide to allow cannabis for recreational use. Granted there have been "measure Z" clubs in Oakland for years, clubs that operate in legal grey areas and sell to anyone over 21 but generally operate out of a backroom and word of mouth type of thing, but still don't get shut down. Being able to walk into a store and buy weed and possibly smoke(??anyone know?) is still somewhat of a big deal.

If it really is legislatively low at the moment why aren't there more growers growing? If there was a demand boom for a produce that is truly legislatively low like say tomatoes there would be tons of growers to match that. Price would probably still go up, but not drastically so- medicinal cannabis in california isn't that much more expensive.

if not direct conspiracy then still a means by which to manipulate the market to keep tight regulation on it. making sure no dollars will slip through their fingers, and them being government and dollars being tax.

they by no means what so ever want people growing and selling weed out of their house without some way of taxing and regulating it.

Salutations,

Maybe not a direct conspiracy but more simply compatible interests... No need to tax self-sufficient domestic production but it's obvious since the prices are so high this could interfere with the plans, which apear to include high prices from the start each time auto-growers are a target of prohibition i suppose.

:|

If it really is legislatively low at the moment why aren't there more growers growing? If there was a demand boom for a produce that is truly legislatively low like say tomatoes there would be tons of growers to match that. Price would probably still go up, but not drastically so- medicinal cannabis in california isn't that much more expensive.

The ability to legally grow and to sell to retail is legislatively controlled. That's why there aren't more legal growers currently growing. There are of course still tons of black market growers, sellers and buyers.....and there will continue to be if Washington state over legislates. And what about counties and/or municipalities that have banned recreational sales? Remeber, given that you are not allowed to home grow that invites the black market..

I don't live in Washington state and I can see how fucked up this is. There are all kinds of rules and regulations about where a rec store can be situated and yet I see alcohol stores within walking distance of churches, schools, daycares, etc.

Tom

I don't live in Washington state and I can see how fucked up this is. There are all kinds of rules and regulations about where a rec store can be situated and yet I see alcohol stores within walking distance of churches, schools, daycares, etc.

Tom

Funny story, zoning laws in my county don't allow liquor stores closer than 500ft of any school. This past year, a liquor store opened up 503ft from my old high school's entrance. It's caused a pretty big commotion among parents around here, but I bet they wouldn't even know what to do if it were a pot shop instead of a liquor store. So many petitions and movements have been started to shut them down, but, basically, they're not going fuckin' anywhere. It actually became my usual liquor store when I heard about all the bullshit they were having to put up with (protesters, public forums, debates, all types of shit, man).

if not direct conspiracy then still a means by which to manipulate the market to keep tight regulation on it. making sure no dollars will slip through their fingers, and them being government and dollars being tax.

they by no means what so ever want people growing and selling weed out of their house without some way of taxing and regulating it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, Mafioso.

The ability to legally grow and to sell to retail is legislatively controlled. That's why there aren't more legal growers currently growing. There are of course still tons of black market growers, sellers and buyers.....and there will continue to be if Washington state over legislates. And what about counties and/or municipalities that have banned recreational sales? Remeber, given that you are not allowed to home grow that invites the black market..

Tom

I think eventually the more conservative counties will conform to whatever becomes the popular norm in washington. If kings county/seattle can manage to set up strict enough regulations on growing and distribution to where they can suck up an impressive revenue stream in the form of tax dollars without causing mainstream hysteria then other counties will follow along. From what I understand there are a lot of really conservative counties in washington, like small town where everyone goes to the same church type thing. The medical cannabis industry has already paved the way for legal recreational use, and will flow in a similar manner. It wasn't but 10-20 years ago when "medical" cannabis was just as controversial. I hope we can continue along the same path we have been on, and I really hope this is part of a greater awakening of the general population as opposed to simply people just becoming accepting of stoners.

Jibult, zoning laws were used pretty effectively to shut down and raid legitimate medical clubs in california so I would be surprised if they didn't do the same with recreational. Seems pretty silly to me being that you can't even walk into these places if you don't have a card let alone being not of age. If it truly is to protect the kids then storefronts as opposed to street dealers is a much better option. All my friends who started smoking weed at a young age didn't buy it from a club. All in all though, I really like the way things are moving. I think we are reaching a point when the tides of propaganda are starting to meet equal flow of truth. so long as they don't take over the internet.

Just heard a piece on NPR about WA rec. pot; apparently, the UCLA guy who designed their layout is arguing that prices should STAY INSANELY HIGH so that it will "discourage its flow to the black market in other states." So much for cutting out the black market. Looks like even if I move to a rec. state after college I'll be like Dr. Greenthumb, hidin my pot from those pesky pork choppers. Fuck the government everywhere.

At least in Colorado, you can grow. If it stays that way, that's where I'd wana move to. There's no way in hell I'm paying rec. prices when I can get black market pot for cheaper in both the Southern states I have lived in.

that makes no sense to me. I think that UCLA doesn't understand the flow of the supply and demand of cannabis. Having legal weed prices stay high while maintaining strict limitations on cultivation would only encourage these store fronts to buy from the black market being that prices would be much lower and there isn't a shortage of supply in the black market. If the black market for weed was at a demand surplus that might be true, but the opposite is much of the case, at least on the west coast and washington. Keeping prices high will only destine recreational pot shops for failure, being that there is a thriving and widely available black market for the exact same product if not better. If anything, it will only serve to greater benefit the already well established black market suppliers, offering another route to distribute to at a much higher price tag than they normally would.

Also something to note, Colorado still has some of the highest prices of medical cannabis in the US. This may be due to people who need it for legitimate medical use who are a "medical refugee" of sorts, and as well as all of the people who come to in seek of the weed friendly culture.

that makes no sense to me. I think that UCLA doesn't understand the flow of the supply and demand of cannabis. Having legal weed prices stay high while maintaining strict limitations on cultivation would only encourage these store fronts to buy from the black market being that prices would be much lower and there isn't a shortage of supply in the black market.

While you're right, I think what "the UCLA guy" meant was that prices should stay high to prevent weed from areas that have legalized it from being trafficked/transported to an area where it's still illegal. You know... buy it legally in Colorado, sell it illegally in Nebraska. If the legal prices are higher than the black market prices, this will effectively be prevented.... but it'll open a whole other can of worms that these people should damn wel know is just waiting for it's lid to be popped.

[CONSPIRACY EDIT: Or hey, maybe the end-game here is to legalize marijuana to give the people what they want but to do it ineffectively so as to keep a nationwide black/grey market operating, ripe with potential future federal inmates. "You mean.... they get to make money off marijuana sales and locking people up for marijuana? Whoa... mind=fucking blown...."]

jibult, good point I didn't think of it that way, but it still seems a bit silly to me- even it weed won't be coming from legal Colorado shops flowing to illegal nebraska dealers/users, there will still be weed flowing into Nebraska so long as there are people there to buy it. Once again, this serves to benefit the black market as having a legal market that could compete in price would drive both market prices down overall. Keeping legal weed priced extremely high only encourages the black market in the long run as far as I can see. Having legit weed flow to the black market would actually hurt the black market as it would only create more competition and drive prices lower and lower. A legit weed surplus would truly put a lot of black market growers out of business, not the other way around. Strict law enforcement actually benefits black market as well, driving up price by shorting supply. It the the exact opposite effect as the UCLA guy proposed IMO.

And the prison-industrial complex is a very real thing and perhaps one of the many reasons cannabis prohibition still exists. billions of dollars in locking people up, sadly enough. The land of the free holds less than 5% of world population but nearly 25% of prison population.... crazy times we are in today.

Ow..... Isn't price discussion not aloud or is it ok because it's legal now?

Only bud I see in dispensaries that are pricey are 60 for four grams and usually it's cookies, sherbet, or some old school like blueberry yum yum. Besides sour kush sounding like improperly grown kush someone wants to pass as a diesel cross while blue dream is a common strain that's pretty dank.

Edit: I know of measure Z and a local paper covered it after co and wa boasted being the leaders in reform. I know of people who support their needs strictly under those laws so it seems pretty stable.

tacodude are you from bay area? sounds like california prices and those are the trendy strains right now around here. I thought measure Z was only Oakland/berkley and other pro-pot/relaxed enforcement counties in the bay area. The one I went too was actually housed in the old/original oaksterdam building which was serving as a weed museum at the time. There were no signs that stated it was a club, and the only way I knew about it was my friend who lived next door to it introduced me to the guy who ran the place who took us into a back room, checked our IDs and then printed up a laminate "measure Z" club card. It was professional in the sense they knew they were walking a legal grey area but ran like any other connect for the most part- it was essentially open to the public but you pretty much had to know someone who would introduce you or go fishing.

Last edited: