Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US no longer dominates drug war agenda in Central America

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guatemala Times

Sunday, 25 March 2012 14:19 Barbara Schieber

With reader comments

The President of Guatemala, Otto Perez put the issue of drug legalization on the SICA agenda in a historic meeting in Antigua, Guatemala on Saturday, despite the efforts of a certain power to get the meeting canceled at the last minute. For the first time 3 Central American Leaders defied the US and send a strong and clear message: we consider the war on drugs failed, we demand that US takes the responsibility, we demand the US pays, we are not paying the price for US failure.

It is very clear that the Presidents of Central America and many Latin American countries are tired of the empty promises and empty US rhetoric on the war on drugs. They have also learned the lesson from Mexico, where President Calderon has been doing as the US asks, turning the country into a bloodbath. Last week Gen. Charles Jacoby, commander of U.S. Northern Command, said during testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee: Mexico’s “decapitation” strategy of capturing or killing high-value drug cartel leaders with the help of U.S. has a problem, it isn´t working. “The decapitation strategy — they’ve been successful at that. Twenty-two out of the top 37 trafficking figures that the Mexican government has gone after have been taken off the board. But it has not had an appreciable effect — an appreciable, positive effect.”

President Laura Chinchilla of Costa Rica knows what everybody should know: the US no longer has the funds to back any promises. That could have been the only reason for her to come to this meeting and to defy the US. Costa Rican Presidents, whether we like it or not, are the best political negotiators of the region. They are also considered to be the closest allies of the US in Central America.

Maybe the winds of change have reached Central America.............

More...
http://www.guatemala-times.com/opin...nates-drug-war-agenda-in-central-america.html

I'm very hopeful for the South American countries right now. They could be the well from which serious legalization/regulation of drugs begins.

It's about time world powers stopped letting the US's conservative social agenda dominate their decision making.

I'm very excited that this conversation is finally being started by politicians in Latin America. The current president of Colombia has spoken about this in the past, at least as far as softer drugs are concerned, but his proposals weren't taken seriously for some time. Now that other leaders in the area have started talking about legalization, there's a possibility of policy change. The Mexican president has played along with the US, and look where that's gotten them. The former Mexican president has openly expressed his opinions on the benefits of drug legalization. Even if the debate still isn't being taken seriously in the US, this could result in an enormous decrease in violence in Latin America if legalization gets traction.

It's no surprise that change would happen in Latin America before the US. While gang violence in the US is obviously terrible and claims so many lives a year, it's nothing compared to what Colombia faced in the Escobar era and the current clusterfuck in Mexico. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but if these countries move forward and change their policies, perhaps there is some hope that the US government will consider reforming this godawful state of affairs.

While I don't believe in complete legalization, I believe in de-criminalization.
I can't remember at the moment which countries they were, other than Iran(Though they may have changed this in recent years) but anyone found with drugs would be treated as a patient who had a drug-addiction. They wouldn't pay a fine, they would have to take a compulsory rehab cycle.

While this is effective, better than that would be a compulsory educational program about drugs - facts about neurotoxicity, why certain drugs may cause depression/suicidal thoughts/paranoia and other bad side-effects from drug abuse.
If a user has a strong struggle with addiction, they should be put into rehab on the word of their immediate-family or gaurdians.

Part of the taboo on drugs and the dangers of addiction/abuse stem from the fact that drugs are illegal and the consequences of getting caught, or even publically saying "I am sorry but I have a problem, I have a drug addiction" will make a person stick out amongst their peers. Even recreational drug users, who don't suffer from addiction problems will have this problem with 'regular' society catagorizing them into a group. Sure there is a group, but why is there none for drinking? It's either you drink or don't drink. Why does it have to be "He smokes pot? Damn he must be a heavy brain dead drug-user?"
Don't get me started on if a person uses stimulants, downers, or empathogens.

If any drug is used responsibally, it can be safe. So long as you are not addicted or abusing them.
Then it's not a problem from the drug, its a psychological problem that therapy, care, and proper attention can help a person better their life. Sometimes the drug-addiction phase of a person's life can be benificial to them in the long run.

If laws remain the way they are and they become more strict it can't do anything except worsen an already terrible situation globally.
If the government de-criminalized the selling/manufacture of drugs, and focused on helping drug-users, they would see a tremendous downfall of drug-use. Prices would go down for one, drugs cut with toxic fillers would disapear, people would be able to do proper studies on drug-abuse/use and the effects on the mind to help drug-users, and more people would openly be supportive of say - Opiate abusers, or Stimulant abusers, or Psychedelic abusers.

A drug user in rehab will relate a lot better to a therapist or psychiatrist who has used or knows the effects personally than they would to somebody who would demonize them for using an illicit substance. Society does this already - the psychiatrist is part of society as well, even if they have used drugs they would not be able to share this simple but very important fact with their patients.

Most people in rehab will talk with people who use the same drugs that they used themselves. If the head therapist doesn't relate to them, how can they reach them on a personal level to find out why people use drugs?
There are an infinite amount of reasons why people use drugs, in the end it stems to psychological/social/anxiety/personality problems from abusers(who are sometimes worsening their symptoms), and the responsible users are looking for an alternative way of thinking,spirituality, or a simple intoxication that doesn't involve the damaging dangers of legal subsitutes or alcohol. :p

Decriminalization all the way, if they want to stop drug-cartels killing thousands, they have to cut off their main revenue. Legalizing and keeping manufacture illegal will only increase productive capabilities.

As a user, i'd rather have clean, cheap & worry-free albiet hard to find drugs rather than cut,expensive, sketchy at times though easy to find drugs.
Those who really want to use them responsibly will go out of their way to do it with or without breaking the law.
The government shouldn't focus on the stigmatization of the users or the extermination of the source... rather they should let it be and work on finding out why people use them, help fix their own societies problems, and lower the demand for these drugs.
Most people won't like stims, most people won't like opiates, most people won't like psychedelics, most people won't like empathogens, most people won't like alcohol.

But with the option, knowledge and freedom, people can focus to use their class of intoxication safe & responsibly. It will balance the demand for each type of drug, and thus the sources will have to cater to less customers but rather constant & reliable ones who if gone down the path of addiction can get the help they need to either use responsibly or stop/switch to a safer drug, or find the reason as to why they abused a drug so tremendously.

Nobody loses anything, and everybody gains anything. (Though this route will eventually lead to taxed drugs, as well as the removal of Class 1 Drugs & possibly turning them into disposable substances for doctors, rehab clinics, and psychiatrists trying to help their patients in a proper manner according to their patients problems.)

The key to any decriminalization process from the inevitable influx of abusers is the very important step in focusing millions of dollars on rehab, therapy and research. With the benefit of not looking for drug-manufactures or wasting millions if not billions on something like this 'drug war' from court costs, to prison maintenance, to financing something like the DEA, ALL of their money can be focused on treating drug-users and more than likley spending a lot but still spending less than we are now...

The process is long overdue and the longer we wait the more difficult it will get.

Last edited:
I do believe in legalization, since it would take the largest source of income out of the hands of gangs and cartels and turn it into an above-the-table business. It would reduce senseless violence and make addiction a much easier problem to address. But even decriminalization would be an incredible change. Instead of throwing nonviolent people into prison, they could be put into psychological and medical treatment to help with their addiction and underlying psychological problems. Decriminalization in Portugal has been enormously successful - they're emphasizing recovery over imprisonment and have greatly reduced the number of addicts in the country.

I do believe in legalization, since it would take the largest source of income out of the hands of gangs and cartels and turn it into an above-the-table business. It would reduce senseless violence and make addiction a much easier problem to address. But even decriminalization would be an incredible change. Instead of throwing nonviolent people into prison, they could be put into psychological and medical treatment to help with their addiction and underlying psychological problems. Decriminalization in Portugal has been enormously successful - they're emphasizing recovery over imprisonment and have greatly reduced the number of addicts in the country.

There is one thing that I didn't mention in my other post - Drug Cartels or Dealers will target these recovery groups/organizations because of loss in profits. Which is horrible but true - this I've witnessed in Afghanistan for people trying to help Heroin addicts.
They weren't targeting the poppy fields, they weren't targeting the cartels or trying to take down the leadership - they were simply trying to help people who have no families and quite literally live underneath birdges shooting heroin until they die. (Police usually pick out their corpses from under there)

Let that sink in for a moment. The drug-war IS the cause of all this in the end. Until they change policies, people will continue taking bribes to let these things slide for certain people, atrocities &drug-wars will continue, and addicts will never get any complete recovery from their ailments.
While what I just said is a extreme example - mass recovery of addicts will cause this problem on a global scale. But instead of tracking down drug-shipments it would end up becoming a anti-corruption and security/national security issue...

Supporters of "modern" democracy would have to be honest and adjust laws accordingly... and this is simply not possible... the evil side of human nature will always win so long as they have the financial support to corrupt.

Fucked up state of affairs...