• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US Government Reveals Why Pot Is Still Schedule I

poledriver

Bluelighter
US Government Reveals Why Pot Is Still Schedule I

Only two weeks after sneaking through a measure in Congress' spending bill which more or less legalized medical marijuana on a federal level, the United States government has slapped the pot community in the face yet again with the latest contradiction by Obama's crack team over at the Department of Justice.

In an unflinching defense of the Schedule I classification of marijuana to a federal judge in Sacramento, Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory Broderick ignorantly asserted that while there is “some dispute among doctors as to whether marijuana is medicine,” there is plenty of evidence to support the government's claims that “this psychoactive, addictive drug is not accepted as safe for medical use at this time, even with medical supervision,” according to the SFGate.

The move came as a response from the U.S. Attorney's office to a filing in California challenging the Schedule I classification of marijuana as a drug with "no currently accepted medical use in treatment" under the Controlled Substances Act.

So the short answer to the question about why cannabis is still considered by the United States to be as dangerous as heroin in the eyes of the law? Our government is two-faced, confused, and utterly conflicted amongst its politicians and policymakers.

As James Poulos aptly explained in his piece for the Daily Beast: "Obama could announce his intention to reclassify pot. He could deliver a quick, effective speech, or hold a proper press conference. He could order the Justice Department to begin the necessary regulatory work. Or (horrors) he could reach out to congressional leaders in both parties to pursue bipartisan legislation. But he hasn’t. And it doesn't seem he will."

Subsequently, it seems clear that until we see a president who has the cojones to take reclassification into his or her own hands, we will not see true justice for cannabis, and that is the sad fact of the "justice" our Department of Justice dishes out.

Do you think Obama will make a last-minute move to reschedule marijuana? Tell us in the comments.

With comments -

http://www.hightimes.com/read/us-government-reveals-why-pot-still-schedule-i

Our government sets the same kind of example that two constantly-feuding parents set for their children.

Is there any reason to believe that Obama could reschedule marijuana? From the wiki-

The Congressional findings in 21 USC §§ 801(7), 801a(2), and 801a(3) state that a major purpose of the CSA is to "enable the United States to meet all of its obligations" under international treaties. The CSA bears many resemblances to these Conventions. Both the CSA and the treaties set out a system for classifying controlled substances in several Schedules in accordance with the binding scientific and medical findings of a public health authority. Under 21 U.S.C. § 811 of the CSA, that authority is the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). Under Article 3 of the Single Convention and Article 2 of the Convention on Psychotropic Substances, the World Health Organization is that authority.

I realize that High Times is renowned for the quality of their journalism, but I don't see how an American President dictates policy of the World Health Organization.

From the US Constitution, Article Six-

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

I see US law (Act of Congress, President doesn't make law), I see treaties- i don't see anything in there about the President's personal opinion.

Our government sets the same kind of example that two constantly-feuding parents set for their children.

perfect statement! I hate the two party system here. many people I have talked to won't even vote for a third party member because, "there's no way they can win." Everyone takes the easy way out and thinks they have two choices. if they don't like either party's candidate then fuck it, just pick republican A/ Democrat B because they suck less.

Cannabis is still Schedule I per governmental edict because it gets you very high.

Obama isn't going to expend the rest of his political capital on marijuana. He still wants to cut a deal on immigration before he is out of office

After 40 years of totally dropping the ball, with the best of intentions.. none of which have been realized and instead a cosmic black whole of unintended, but very real and destructive consequences ], I don't think anyone with an IQ over 40 is listening to the US on drug policy. If they are it's because of financial and political reasons or the fact they will throw people who aren't criminals in jail for 20 years to life. I love how the US is so proud of it "human rights" behavior. Just another bad joke.

Shame. for real.

Last edited: