Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US drugs prosecutors switch sides to defend accused Colombian traffickers

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guardian

Rory Carroll in Los Angeles
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 27 February 2013 16.46 GMT

With reader comments

US prosecutors and other senior officials who spearheaded the war against drug cartels have quit their jobs to defend Colombian cocaine traffickers, saying their clients are not bad people and that United States drug policy is wrong.

Senior former assistant US attorneys and Drug Enforcement Administration agents are turning years of experience in investigating, indicting and extraditing narcos to the advantage of the alleged traffickers they now represent.

"I'm not embarrassed about the fact that I changed sides," said Robert Feitel, a Washington-based attorney who used to pursue traffickers and money launderers at the Department of Justice. "And I'm not shy about saying that no one knows better how a prosecutor thinks. That's what people get when they come to me. There are lots of hidden things to know about these cases."

The fence-jumpers include Bonnie Klapper, who was feted for taking down the Norte del Valle cartel, Leo Arreguin, who headed the DEA's office in Bogota, and reportedly former members of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency, Ice. They work in separate legal practices with their own clients, not as a group.

More...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/27/us-drugs-prosecutors-defending-traffickers

A lot of misplaced emotions in this thread. Colombian drug traffickers make Mexican cartels look like flocks of white doves. They've fizzled out a bit lately, but just a few years ago they were indiscriminately killing hundreds of Colombians per day.

A lot of misplaced emotions in this thread. Colombian drug traffickers make Mexican cartels look like flocks of white doves. They've fizzled out a bit lately, but just a few years ago they were indiscriminately killing hundreds of Colombians per day.

There's a lot of murdering of poor people going on in Columbia, and I'm pretty sure that the drug traffickers aren't 100% of the source of the problem.

And drug laws give them their market. It always goes back to that.

The DEA has an office in Colombia? WTF? Is there nowhere on this planet free from big brother?

"saying their clients are not bad people"... This sounds just a little fishy. I mean, I would think that in order to be in charge of a colombian drug cartel, you would have to be pretty ruthless. I would think that the nice drug lords would be usurped by the ruthless druglords, especially in Colombia, with it's long history of internal political strife, economic class warfare and "la violencia". Then again, I am basing my history of colombia on a book written in English and probably all from DEA supplied facts, so it would make sense that the DEA would use lies to further their war on drugs propaganda.

However, I would think that the DEA has massive resources, secret agents in the field and American technology and gunpower. Some may even consider the DEA criminal. Wouldn't Colombian cartels need be at least equally as threatening in order to stay in business, if not more?

^you're definitely on the mark. I have the same opinion as you do. Mine was forged growing up in Miami and knowing many Colombian people who had to suddenly fly back to attend the funeral of a relative who was gunned down by the cartel. It was an actual war, and at its worse it was worse than Mexico.

remember when the Colombian National Drug Police HQ was targeted by a giant truck bomb...