• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US: Bodybuilder leaves girlfriend in coma after horror ?roid rage? attack

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A DISTURBING and graphic video appearing to show a hulking bodybuilder pummel his girlfriend surfaced today after what lawyers called a ?roid rage? attack in the US state of Michigan.

The footage, obtained by Fox2Detroit, shows Paul Bashi, 35, punching, kicking and throwing lit candles at Kristina Perry, 22, inside his rental home in Washington Township in late July.

At one point in the video his arm is covered in blood as he heaves a canister at Ms Perry, who is pressed up against a wall and a couch.

?Time and time and time again this defendant beat her as she lay motionless on the ground,? Assistant Macomb County Prosecutor Jordan Fields told a court on Monday, according to the Macomb Daily.

?How she did not die, I have no idea. She should have died that day, judge.?

54f30742b8ce553266a8cbebd417250b

Bashi is currently in Macomb County Jail on a US$5 million bond and is facing one count of assault with intent to murder and one count of controlled substance with intent to deliver/manufacture. Investigators that responded to the home after the attack were reported to have found cocaine, marijuana, methamphetamine, ecstasy and a substance that contains human growth hormone.

fa7e48f8e58493dd047d03aa528a3d57

?The defendant at that time was using great quantities of steroids preparing for a national body-building competition,? his lawyer, David Griem, said during the court hearing Monday, according to the Macomb Daily. ?I believe that what happened that day was something that?s referred to as ?roid rage,? short for steroid rage.?

County prosecutors say Ms Perry was kicked more than 100 times and was stabbed repeatedly during the 40-minute assault. Bashi was arrested after neighbours found Ms Perry on the home?s front porch.

Ms Perry has recovered after being in a coma for days ? but then appeared this week at the hearing to ask for the charges against Bashi to be dropped.

?She told the judge she wanted the defendant out of jail, and told the judge that it was her fault this happened,? Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith told Fox2Detroit.

The judge handling the case reportedly referred the matter to Macomb County Community Corrections and asked the agency to investigate further.

Smith though said defendants often put ?pressure on the victim to dismiss the charges.?

?Our office handles about 2,500 domestic violence cases a year,? he said in an interview with Fox2Detroit. ?Of those cases 60 per cent of the victims either recant their story or don?t show up to the court at all.?

?If you see someone going through this and you think someone is going through this, even though they say they are not -- they are afraid to come forward,? he added. ?You have got to step in and help.?

Source: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...k/news-story/416735395a5254b87d0ee78a518472a4

^ bizarre and sad Stockholm syndrome nonsense probably :\

I do take issue with the reporting though.

It's not "roid rage" that did this, which is largely a media invention, and often a ploy used by defendants to excuse inexcusable behaviour.

The guy is just a violent asshole. You don't need to take steroids to be an asshole like this.

You know I never considered that but obviously that's also very true.

I like to think I'd usually spot substance-related media bias but that one in particular is so pervasive it didn't even register...

Something else I just noticed... there is security camera footage... from inside this guy's house?? :? Must be part of some kind of home alarm system I guess, but that's weird to me.

On an off topic did anyone ever watch that South Park episode where Jimmy the cripple is on steroids and beats up his girlfriend?

^ bizarre and sad Stockholm syndrome nonsense probably :\

I do take issue with the reporting though.

It's not "roid rage" that did this, which is largely a media invention, and often a ploy used by defendants to excuse inexcusable behaviour.

The guy is just a violent asshole. You don't need to take steroids to be an asshole like this.

I "may" beg to differ on your take there. I say that because years ago I was given a testosterone gel because my levels were on the low side. My incident happened shortly after I had started taking it, meaning that was when the biggest jump would be apparent. Anyway, my wife did some really crazy shit just to piss me off, no other reason. Just to set the record straight, I have never in my life been violent and almost anyone who knew me would say I was one of the most peaceful caring people they had ever met, just sayin'. Well, I lost it and went batshit crazy! Where usually I'd be able to get pissed, access the situation, say a few things here or there or not and that would be it. It's like I had automatic brakes in place. However, with that testosterone pumping through me, there was no way I could stop.myself. I saw red and started shaking and that was it. If things had really really gone wrong, I could have.seriously hurt or killed someone that day. It was like I had no control over myself whatsoever, period!

So, my thought is that if this guy was seriously abusing roids, I could see where if the right buttons were pushed, he may have just totally lost it. Very dangerous situation to be around for sure but I really could see how it could happen. FTR, I am not condoning any of this behavior, I'm just noting how I could see it happening.

^ For sure, substances of all kinds, hormonal or directly psychoactive, can influence people to do things that they wouldn't usually do. However I think the point is that "roid rage" is no more a real phenomenon than "reefer madness".

There's maybe some justification for the use of these terms as morally inert descriptors for particular phenomena, even particularly rare phenomena, but in the absence of any proper context - by which I mean, any wider understanding of the nature of these substances by the target audience - then using terms like these only serves to perpetuate harmful stereotypes such as "everyone who uses steroids will end up beating their partner" or, "everyone who smokes reefer will lose their minds and murder their entire family."

Of course alcohol is arguably one of the primary contributors to domestic violence and sexual assault, but we don't hear terms like "alcohol rage" or "alcohol rape", partly because of alcohol's accepted status as the Drug of Choice of Western civilisation, but also, largely because of this first point, because there is a wider understanding that these extreme scenarios are just particularly unpleasant outliers in the hugely diverse range of effects on human behaviour that alcohol can induce.

Multiple factors influence human behaviour in any given situation, and it rarely makes any sense at all to look at the substance or substance(s) they were on and say, "Ah, so that's why that happened"... it could be a contributing factor, for sure, but it's never the whole story, and it's not a sufficient explanation... For anything, but particularly for violent events such as that described in the article in question.

Yeah, as said above, the whole 'roid rage' thing is way too reductive to be a particularly valuable term, at least in the terms typically portrayed in the media. For example, he had coke and meth in his home. So maybe it was a stimulant-induced rage? Or maybe the guy's just a dime-a-dozen psycho?

Yeah, as said above, the whole 'roid rage' thing is way too reductive to be a particularly valuable term, at least in the terms typically portrayed in the media. For example, he had coke and meth in his home. So maybe it was a stimulant-induced rage? Or maybe the guy's just a dime-a-dozen psycho?

Yeah we juice heads are good people! It's those fuckers you can't handle their drugs that ruin it for us :(