• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Urban Legends -- Injecting Alcohol

Nicomorphinist

Bluelighter
I have heard people, mostly when they are trying to convince people not to do drugs of any type, that say, amongst other things, that there are people who mainline Everclear (ethanol 95 per cent by volume) and reagent grade ethanol and wonder if this is even possible.

I also hear stories about people mainlining 50, 100, 250, 300, 1000 hits of LSD and wonder if the IV route for LSD even all that effective.

I have heard people, mostly when they are trying to convince people not to do drugs of any type, that say, amongst other things, that there are people who mainline Everclear (ethanol 95 per cent by volume) and reagent grade ethanol and wonder if this is even possible.

I also hear stories about people mainlining 50, 100, 250, 300, 1000 hits of LSD and wonder if the IV route for LSD even all that effective.
Yeah I've heard that as well... injecting pure alcohol sounds like it would involve a large amount of searing pain and tissue death ?

I sure hope noone who heard that sorta rumour was inspired to actually try it..

Ethanol is used as is phenol in medical procedures to burn out and kill nerves and nerve roots, and that procedure is of course done under general anaesthesia. There is, or was at one time, a technique for killing tumours which of course had massive destruction as the intent and was of course also done under anaesthesia.

I saw somebody shoot Alprazolam dissolved in a little bit of alcohol and water mixture. I warned her and informed her of how stupid this was but it didn't matter. She experienced really bad burning up her arm as the mixture travelled to her heart. She said later that she felt the burn around her heart too. Her veins was looking reddish (like a skin rash).
She acted like she felt high after jumping around with stressed eyes because of the burn. So stupid. She obviously didn't get any effect from the 1 mg Alprazolam but maybe a little from the alcohol.

There were apparently people who, having heard of the insolubility of meprobamate and some other drugs in water, dissolved the drugs in maize and canola/rapeseed oil, injected it, and the IM and SC routes especially produces horrible abscesses and created problems IV too as well. It really has not a lot to do with the fact that the vehicle for some drugs include peanut oil, poppyseed oil (which has no alkaloids in it) and a few others. The few drugs like anabolic steroids and a few of others are dissolved in sterile, filtered peanut oil involves a special manufacturing process to make an emulsion and has nothing to do with dissolving in oil directly.

Last edited:
Yea I read the book "The Dirt" by Motley Crue. Apparently they used to inject Jack D into their veins when they ran out of smack. Not a good move if you ask me. It'll definitely kill your veins. That woman is lucky her heart didn't stop as it got there. Thus the "heartburn".

There was a documentary about Kurt Cobain which went off on a momentary tangent about needle fixations and mentioned that Cobain would sometimes inject saline or distilled water because he would get the first split-second of the rush, and they also mention that other needle-using addicts shoot all sorts of things in these circumstances, with mouthwash specifically being mentioned . . . well, Listerine is presumably sterile, but the alcohol and phenol content mean that an IV of that is going to be a comet of destruction going up the arm and that would be the last shot . . . I am guessing that Scope or other things like that will cause oodles of damage, of course too . . .

I get the bang and rush from morphine, hydromorphone, nicomorphine, and dihydromorphine and Scophedal and a few other such things which have been Rx to be used SC, IM, IV as the symptoms call for, over many years, but shooting up sterile saline never did anything for me . . .

So of course, whether it be mouthwash, toilet water, saline which is almost but not quite sterile, pills with silica in them, powders with talc and all that, including critters such as HIV, malaria, hepatitis, yellow fever and all the rest and the added risk if people boot just for the sake of shooting, that identifying and reducing needle fixations is a rather important harm-reduction project in and of itself . . .

Last edited:
Ive injected phenazepam in everclear, diluted. Ouch.

Injecting duragesic sort of feels like injecting alcohol (it contains ethanol gelled with hydroxyethyl cellulose)...

There was a documentary about Kurt Cobain which went off on a momentary tangent about needle fixations and mentioned that Cobain would sometimes inject saline or distilled water because he would get the first split-second of the rush, and they also mention that other needle-using addicts shoot all sorts of things in these circumstances, with mouthwash specifically being mentioned . . . well, Listerine is presumably sterile, but the alcohol and phenol content mean that an IV of that is going to be a comet of destruction going up the arm and that would be the last shot . . . I am guessing that Scope or other things like that will cause oodles of damage, of course too . . .

I get the bang and rush from morphine, hydromorphone, nicomorphine, and dihydromorphine and Scophedal and a few other such things which have been Rx to be used SC, IM, IV as the symptoms call for, over many years, but shooting up sterile saline never did anything for me . . .

So of course, whether it be mouthwash, toilet water, saline which is almost but not quite sterile, pills with silica in them, powders with talc and all that, including critters such as HIV, malaria, hepatitis, yellow fever and all the rest and the added risk if people boot just for the sake of shooting, that identifying and reducing needle fixations is a rather important harm-reduction project in and of itself . . .

Saline could work for a moment because you can taste it in the back of your throat.

When I was stuck withdrawing in the hospital, when they’d flush the iv, I’d get a second of relief until my brain realized no rush was coming.

Been done on camera for Jackass, Steve-O was the lab rat.
He was given an alcohol (clear wodka) IV , appropriately diluted.
He was immediately drunk as soon as he started the IV line.

Man, those guys did some crazy fucking shit...

What Steve-O did on camera was not the worst he did, look up some interviews.
How about snorting cocaine that your dealer sprayed with his own blood? :cool:

Saline could work for a moment because you can taste it in the back of your throat.

When I was stuck withdrawing in the hospital, when they’d flush the iv, I’d get a second of relief until my brain realized no rush was coming.

Adding the liquid to the blood stream does make that vein a little larger when shooting up and maybe there is some histamine released by this procedure too, leading to the partial rush . . . speaking of things which can be tasted in the throat, some other excipients in smack and similar recreational pharmaceuticals have origins which have a bit more to them that may meet the eye . . .

Instant coffee bulks up powdered smack and is easy to knead into black tar heroin, and, of course, it is bitter, a necessary thing for a cut in these cases, and customers also like the taste of it, and the caffeine it contains potentiates the action of the heroin, and there are other pharmacologically active alkaloids in coffee as well . . . .

Quinine is a bitter, powdered crystalline, light coloured cut, which the inexperienced will not distinguish from smack for the reason of the taste in particular, but as recently as 1938 or so, at least two of the five forms of malaria were endemic pretty much everywhere, and there was apparently a severe malaria outbreak in NYC, Cairo, London, Tangier, Paris, Toronto, Cincinnati, or another large city -- and it was obvious to observers that the practise of sharing and reusing needles with a wash out with tap water at the most was spreading it just as effectively as the mosquitoes; yellow fever, dengue and other such things also spread this way to this very day as does malaria and of course HIV and hepatitis and lots of other things -- so dealers and some wholesalers made a point of getting large quantities of quinine and using it as a cut. It was effective in making sure that the users got their quinine, and the quinine also enhances the rush of the injection and has its own pharmacological effects.

Mannitol gives cocaine users the Coke Shits, but smack is very constipating, so this and other laxative powders are certainly helpful to some users.

Some dealers have been known to cut smack and other powdered narcotics with instant lemonade or fruit drinks which some users undoubtedly find as a pleasant surprise . . .

Very interesting, of course, and I discovered some time ago that if I add more quinine and strongly carbonated water as well as lots of dihydrocodeine or something similar to a gin & tonic and slam it down in two sips, it hits very hard and makes me feel just like Jesus' bartender. . .

of course and if I were needing to source my smack and other narcotics in little baggies and the like, my first choice of packaging for diamorphine would be the virtually pharmaceutical quality ampoules of smack with a small amount of cyclizine mixed in that the DEA and/or RCMP intercepted a few years ago -- I think it was a shipping container full of cases of the ampoules . . . I think there were something like 1.15 million ampoules and a big box containing a heat-sealed bag of 200 kilos of pure smack . . . what a loss. I think the dealers put Odour Eaters and typewriter carbon paper all through the shipment, and rubbed the scent of a lion, hyaena, and/or lion on heat all over the outside and other parts of the shipping container and contents to possibly scare away the drugs sniffing dogs . . .

Ive injected phenazepam in everclear, diluted. Ouch.

Injecting duragesic sort of feels like injecting alcohol (it contains ethanol gelled with hydroxyethyl cellulose)...

I know there are people who remove the gel and either squirt it up their arsehole or add it to KY Jelly and the use a dildo or have someone else use their meat sword to apply it to the inside of their arsehole or to their vajayjay as Dr Suess calls it in Green Eggs & Ham . . . but so doing would, as near as anyone here knows, as is from the patch probably puts solvents into the circulation which should not be done for reasons elucidated below:

If the gel is not doing the best in the patch, how about removing a little and applying it like suntan lotion? Getting a Q-Tip and applying it to the inside of your nose or the surfaces of your anus or whatever? If it is ethanol, what about stirring it into V8 a little at a time? Concentrating poppy pod decoction or otherwise obtaining gum opium and then taking the Duragesic gel and boiling out the alcohol then fortifying the op with the gel and smoking it, eating it, dissolving it in vodka, putting it into a jelly doughnut, mixing the gel with pipe tobacco or cannabis and smoking it ,

Is it possible to use a hot plate and some foil or a plate and turn it up to 80°C and stir it a bit and you can end up with a gunk then a crust which can be smashed up by, amongst other things, fractionally distilling out the alcohol, right? Stirring the gel into water, boiling out the alcohol and putting some in you nostril with an eye dropper? Snort the powder, consult a local chemist and medical people to see if you can cook up the powder, use it to fortify something else like paracetamol with codeine, some dihydrocodeine cough syrup, some propoxyphene or tilidate or meptazinol tablets, mix the powder into Vitamin R, ephedrine or whatever and snort or shoot that? Smoke the powder, or make a nasal spray out of it or dissolve it and use a vapouriser or nebuiliser to take a hit of it . . .

I have heard and read about people who smoke and inject the Duragesic gel and can do it for a long time and think that everything is fine -- until they go for a physical, and their liver and endocrine panels, kidney function tests, Complete Blood Count With Differential and other tests come back and there are various surprises. There may be some pointers and unusual things which showed up by themselves in the meantime, like bilirubin, which can be part of skin and sclera turning yellow and itching and so forth -- even uraemia and smelling like piss . . . them , for example. for years after eating all sorts of paracetamol, aspirin, and other things of that size like doing a hundred T4s, Vikes, Tikes, Panlor (the paracetamol equivalent of Synalgos DC in some places) and if you are not starting to come across ototoxicity and turn yellow, or metabolic acidosis or ulcers from aspirin, you can get your surprise by means of having an aggregate cholesterol level of 1500, 2250, something like that . . .

It sounds like the wages of shooting Duragesic gel and to some extent eating it or other things are such things as not only possibly smelling like piss, turning yellow, hearing strange noises and thinking a giant lobster is following you, but also a alanine transaminase level of 12500, aspartate transaminase level of 53000, and therefore a ratio of well over 8 to 1, 1000 or more for GGT and other funky test results. I also heard of someone who was in hospital for weeks after coming to a flu shot appointment white as a ghost and then turning green and it turned out to be aplastic anaemia and bone marrow depression aggravating what would otherwise be a subclinical or even undiscovered case of beta thalassaemia minor

Last edited:
Very interesting, of course, and I discovered some time ago that if I add more quinine and strongly carbonated water as well as lots of dihydrocodeine or something similar to a gin & tonic and slam it down in two sips, it hits very hard and makes me feel just like Jesus' bartender. . .
was that a sneaky VU reference? :)

Townes Van Zandt was well known for injecting alcohol but not the pure stuff, I'm on about Rum & Coke type things.
I'd not personally try it myself.

What Steve-O did on camera was not the worst he did, look up some interviews.
How about snorting cocaine that your dealer sprayed with his own blood? :cool:

That's disgusting, but I'd do that before I injected alcohol. Well I guess maybe if I didn't know if he had AIDS or something I wouldn't.

The guy actually had AIDS, but they didn't know at the time.
Anyway the AIDS virus dies in a couple of minutes when out of the body, but Hepatitis is much more resilient.

Actually, particularly doing wars and times of insufficient medical supplies, alcohol withdrawal HAS been successfully treated (including in US and UK hospitals) by literally using an IV drip of whiskey or vodka. An Ethanol drip was more common, but they were used and did work.
I've injected myself with vodka before (I was very depressed and desperate to take the pain away and didn't have enough to get really drunk). It didn't hurt, but didn't really work either as you'd need a much bigger syringe.

How did he actually recover ? Oh was very lucky.

Last edited: