• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Unwanted side effects from Hydroxyzine (an anti-histamine)

BK38

Bluelight Crew
Hey BL gang, as I mentioned in the title I was prescribed hydroxyzine to help with insomnia and difficulty falling and staying asleep recently. It actually worked quite well for the first week at doses between 50mg-100mg (which is using it as prescribed). Now it doesn't seem to have the same efficacy anymore (tolerance perhaps?) and I am also experiencing very mild heart palpitations, minor anxiety and also am sweating excessively/clammy. It's really strange as these are not listed as side effects for the medication (aside from some potential heart rhythm disruption, which is alarming I must say). I thought that perhaps it was just because I stopped smoking pot after a heavy run for a couple weeks, but it just doesn't make sense, I've never had such bad effects in such a short time, just really minor irritability and very vivid dreams (and that was after years of heavy smoking and then cessation). I didn't take the hydroxyzine yesterday as a test and today I am definitely a bit better than other days, so I am quite sure it's this anti-histamine. I'm not taking it anymore, it's not worth it.

I am seeing my doctor on the 7th and I will ask her to change me to medications I know work for me (hopefully Zopiclone or Zolpidem). I'm just curious, has anyone else ever experienced these kind of side-effects? Anyone want to take a guess as to what's going on?

TX

-BK

Last edited:
Yeah it’s not unheard of for someone to have the side effects you’re describing. More likely to have side effects etc if you are someone who suffers from anxiety usually.

Yeah it’s not unheard of for someone to have the side effects you’re describing. More likely to have side effects etc if you are someone who suffers from anxiety usually.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the reassurance. Definitely don't think it meshes well with me. Am dropping this med and will just deal with the insomnia as best I can naturally.

That's allot of medication @BK38 !! (hydroxyzine)

I forgot your name just now. Lol it is an adorable one I think . . But that's fine.

BK many others are going through anxiety right now and aren't themselves.

I think with all of that dosing. Sure of course it is going to have an effect.

Sometimes though, the benefits do have to weigh the risks.

However, I hope you do find something that helps also ! <3

Feel better. K !

That's allot of medication @BK38 !!

I forgot your name. But that's fine.

BK many others are going through anxiety right now and aren't themselves.

I think with all of that dosing. Sure of course it is going to have an effect.

Sometimes the benefits do have to weigh tje risks.

However, I hope you do find something that helps also ! <3

Feel better. K !

I dunno, it doesn't strike me as a lot as you can be prescribed up to 400mg of hydroxyzine per day for Generalized Anxiety Disorder in the US anyways. The upper limit according to EU guidelines is more conservative at a max dose of 100mg per day.

Yeah, feeling a little shitty, but no big deal, will get through it. The sleep relief is not worth these side effects to me, esp as it's not working as well as a sleep med anymore. Thx for the well wishes :)

EDIT: You forgot my name because I've never shared it outside of PMs. Everyone just knows me as BK haha

Hydroxyzine really nearly puts me in a coma so I am saving it for an emergency.

However, these days I am close to comatose on my own thank you.

It is very strong but I would much rather have my opium to help me live. <3

Heee he. You know how everyone cares. 😎

oh okay. i thought it was cute like jesse or somin

looooool 38 💙💙

oP6RwVy.jpg

You will be Alright !!!

But yeah I had to take and chip some opioid medication because I had really bad anxiety also yesterday.
I was really stressed but hopefully can really start dealing with it. I did think about taking a hydroxyzine yesterday but would have been way too strong now currently.

I am running very low on dabs and its like oh no.

That means I might have to leave to get some 😁

I know you said it out here !! loool

I am sorry you have anxiety. Honest.

Seems to be around really badly now !! Everyone is really stressed psychologically. It seems to be happening exponentially here.