• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Unknown cause of seizure

weatherman69

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, I suffered a seizure in October of 2018 while I was under the influence of 14 grams of Kratom. At the time I was also abusing xanax often for about a full year maybe more and I must have gone a day or 2 without it. Thankfully I dont have epilepsy or any medical conditions that caused the seizure and I felt obligated to tell the truth about my abuse of drugs. However, my neurologist told me she doesnt know which specific drug caused it, was it the kratom? Xanax withdrawal? Perhaps a combination of the two? If anyone has any knowledge or experience I would love to hear from you!

Hey weatherman69, welcome to Bluelight :)

Really sorry to hear about that. It was more than likely the xanax. The fact your neurologist didn't know that it is a bit of a surprise to be completely honest, given how well known and common the issue can be.

Please make sure you're careful not to withdraw like that in future without discussing with your doctor or tapering off slowly and carefully, as such seizures are pretty serious and can sometimes be fatal.

Thank you for the warm welcome! It's a pleasure to join. I've always used bluelight to research and always found it extremely helpful. Anyways, I had a strong feeling it was the xanax from my research. However, I did find a reddit forum of another man having a seizure from kratom as well. The number of articles that I came across strongly indicates that xanax would be the root cause. I completely quit the xanax and I still use kratom and havent had any issues lately.

That’d be the Xanax causing seizures mate.

Be be careful and get it under control

Hey OP. I'm very sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this. Seizures are by nature extremely scary, confusing and dangerous. For this reason, nobody could blame you for being concerned about it. The answer to your question is likely a simple one. As others have said, it's most likely a clear-cut case of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal-induced seizure. This is common and to a certain extent, expected in certain individuals depending on their dosages and frequency of use.

In the future, I don't think I need to tell you that you must be a little bit more careful in the future. While it can be an embarrassing experience, the correct thing to do when you run into this problem is to seek medical attention immediately. People have been withdrawing from sedatives for most of recorded history and probably before that. The point is that the protocol for dealing with withdrawal from sedative-hypnotic drugs, including Alcohol, Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates, is pretty standardized.

They will generally not allow you to reach the point where you will have a seizure and will medicate you with either Benzodiazepines or Barbiturates. So, like I said, it can be embarrassing, but doesn't this sound like a preferable course of action? I've done it, just to make things perfectly clear. I was not only medicated, I was comfortable throughout what ended up being a 5 day detox from a heavy drinking habit.

Keif' Richard's,

Thank you for your response I will definitely keep all of that in mind. I am probably best to just avoid benzos completely now, ever since my episode I basically quit and havent had any issue since and I've now learned that if I do I have to be careful with my dosages and not binge like I used to.