• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

unexpectedly easy time getting off opiates?

M

michaelwestern

hey, I'm a 20 year old female and I have been on heroin and suboxene nonstop since January of 2010 (when I wasnt doing dope, i did subs to avoid withdrawals). I have felt the pain of brutal withdrawal but never for more than a day because I always had subs in case I couldnt get dope. so I'd always be on one or the other. well on thursday I was arrested and spent 24 hrs in jail (not a drug charge). I had taken half of an 8 mg suboxene the day before, and I felt withdrawy in jail, but not the intense withdrawals I have felt before. after I got out, I only had a half of a sub left, so I have basically been rationing that out since friday. I have been snorting really small incriments of it (like .25 mg) and strangely I do not feel any real withdrawal symptoms. is the little bits of sub I keep doing really staving off WDs, or am I having an unexpectedly easy time getting off opiates? the amount of sub that I have been doing is so little that I still have part of the original half left, despite the fact that I have done a bit of it from friday to today (tuesday).

mod note: OP if you want to follow up anonymously just post in the anon forum again linking this thread. -amapola

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll send this over to Other Drugs for you.

AP >>> OD

-----------------
Well OP,

Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone) is very potent and 1-2mg can hold almost all withdrawals at bay. Furthermore it has a very long half life so even 3 days or so after taking that 8mg some was still in your system. It could be that you are having an unexpectedly easy time getting off opioids with a sub taper, or it could be that you will still feel them worse after the sub runs out. Only one way to find out methinks.

i also experienced a pretty easy with draw last summer after coming off 300 mg of oxy a day. i was achy and nights were pretty awful bit besides that it wasnt that bad.

sorry to tell you but its most likely the subs prolonging it, depending on how much dope you usually used even a very small amount of sub will usually stave off withdrawals unless you had a massive dope habit, especially with snorting since it has like twice the BA of sublingual. Allthough the way you are doing it with tapering with a very small amount and trying to stretch that out as long as you can should make the withdrawals a lot less intense they will still be there probably a day or so after your last piece of sub. But tapering like you are doing should make them more bearable than just taking the whole sub at once and then going CT would have been.

Buprenorphine (Suboxone/Subutex) is actually very potent, far more potent than most people realize. It's analgesic (pain killing) properties are 20-40 times greater than morphine. In contrast, heroin is (at most) three times more potent than morphine.

So the short answer to your question is that it is most likely the Suboxone/Subutex easing the withdrawal symptoms. Of course, you didn't mention your dosage of heroin, route of administration, purity of the heroin, etc. While a habit of over a year is certainly long enough to experience some nightmarish withdrawal symptoms, a habit of only 1-2 bags a day is obviously going to be easier than one of a gram a day.

In my own experience, Suboxone made withdrawal from an IV heroin habit significantly easier. Just my two cents.

ur gonna feel the pain period. whether it's mild and drawn out with subs or short and severe ct is up to you

Just like the others said, it's definetly the suboxone keeping the withdrawal away. It's stronger than you may think.

One thing I want to throw out there is that when you are in a place like rehab or jail, you know there is no way of getting more stuff, so you keep it out of your mind more and don't notice the symptoms as much. I'm afraid the real WD's are yet to come, but your taper plan sounds like the best idea if you want to get off them

the subs could be holding you. its also possible that if you were only using a few times a week with a day or so in between that you just developed a massive tolerance and managed to skip the horrible physical withdrawals. ive known a couple people who that has happened to.

my ex just told me she stopped a 80mg/day oxy habit of 2 years w/no wd possible or is she just bs'n me??? can some one have no ww/d's after long use??

re

gonna have to say that over time, at the doses of bupe you were on it built up in your system. Look at your intake of sub vs your body being able to get rid of it (half-life varies based on many factors.) Bupe is a powerful drug even in small amounts where it acts more of an agonist.

I would expect that when the subs are completely gone and you've abstained for 72 hours, you are gonna be in for a hellish time. Don't want to discourage you so just try it but i will say that ultra rapid bupe tapers just dont seem to work for people that have been on bupe for quite some time, as in your case.

my ex just told me she stopped a 80mg/day oxy habit of 2 years w/no wd possible or is she just bs'n me??? can some one have no ww/d's after long use??

i think its entirely possible for her to be telling the truth i personally take 60mg of valium daily for GAD for the past 3 years but everyonce in a while ill decide to do more then i should just for kicks and i've never had any of the horrible withdrawal symptoms associated with benzo's even when going a couple weeks without. so i thinks its extremely rare but it seems some people just dont get physcially adicted to things in the same way as other people. i know im talking benzos and your talking opiates but the concept is the same...

Your not clean b/c your taking subs. They are very potent... stop taking them and then say you have no wd's.

^^^ Subs would be the opiate of choice if it was the only one around for sure..

shit is insane..

I take 4mgs everyday past 4 months and still get high from it daily

I have actually had a similar experience, and have found a sure fire way to get off of dope with subs on a 7 day taper and you don't feel ANY wd's (except the first 24 hrs when switvhing to bupe) I'm not sure why it works, but for me this is how i do it :

1st day on sub - start with 4mg and then at some point take another 2 or 4mg
day 2 - start with 3mg and at some point take another 2mg
day 3 - start with 2 mg end with one mg
day 4 - only take 2 mg at once
day 5 - split dose 1 mg
day 6 - take one mg
day 7 - (if needed most of the time i can do it in 6 days) take a split dose of 1mg

this has NEVER failed me, and the worst wd's Ive ever felt was waking up sweaty but it goes away usually within the first 3 days, I am currently on day 1 and have taken all 8 mgs set for this day. Sometimes I do the taper even faster reducing from 8 mg - 4mg - 2mg - 1mg over 4 days and you do feel more uneasy - when you do physical work you get the sweats and feel lazy but thats about it. Im not sure why this happens, my best guess is that your allowing the heroin out of your system before catching a bupe habit, but I swear by this method and suggest anyone try it and let me know just how well it works for them.

PS - Suboxone was actually not made for maintence, it was specifically made for a rapid blind 14 day detox, but so many doctors prescribe it maintence cuz 1 its a money maker and 2 its a MUCH better alternative to methadone(dose) maintence. hope this helped!