• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

undo abilify

wiffz

Greenlighter
hello, its about undoing the effects abilify (aripiprazole) has on the brain (i found a thread on this on BL but that wasnt that much about fighting the fx of abilify after having taken it for a while)

i cant trip anymore!

i took abilify/aripiprazole for about 4 weeks (10mg/day) and stopped using it a month ago, i still get zero effects from LSD or DXM or anything else. am i permanently screwed? i considered suicide because of this.. please help... it was said abilify does something on the 5HT2A receptor - could there be some counteracting antidote..? my life is wrecked, knowing i cant use pschedelics for the remaining decades <3

It appears aripiprazole is able to modulate or enhance expression of involved receptors like NMDAr, it seems like a long time after discontinuation you are still experiencing consequences of this and at your dosage it's supposed to take 4 months for such changes and not 4 weeks... but once receptor expression has had enough time to manifest without any such epigenetic influence involved, you should react normally again - especially with psychedelics like LSD considering that dissociative perma-tolerance seen with chronic abusers can be so persistent... but for serotonergic psychedelics it is not really a comparable known phenomenon that I ever heard of.

It doesn't even seem to change 5HTr expression like it does NMDAr, but is rather just an antagonist like many neuroleptics / ADs. Possibly it still took some time for all the aripiprazole to be eliminated from your system, it has a very long half-life, however 4 weeks should be enough I'd think.

So give it time, and definitely don't draw conclusions for the next decades on a month's time.

How many times have you tried to trip after the abilify? (On what, what dosage?). Are you taking anything else right now for medication? Cause especially with the LSD, there might be other reasons for not tripping well.

Some people can even still trip while on the abilify..

There is no antidote, if anything aripirazole is a kind of antidote for serotonergic compounds acting at the 2A receptor... it just takes time for the drug to go, and leave you pretty much the same. It is not realistic that your brain would be changed permanently in such a way that you worry about.
As for dissociatives: even if effectively something akin to semi permanent tolerance would be induced without chronic NMDA antagonists involved, that would be pretty unique afaik.

Don't overreact now, maybe see if there might be other reasons for having a hard time tripping, especially if most of your tries were shortly after stopping the abilify (that would be rather normal since it still takes quite some time to clear your body).
It's also questionable to trip if you have a condition that requires medication like this, so I'd reconsider that... although I wanna assume that if you panic so heavily over not being able to trip, you must be extremely accustomed to it.

Last edited:
I can trip on lsd and p-lsd on abilify

How are things like trip quality? What dose are you on and for how long? I'm about to start back on Abilify, I definitely have concerns regarding, immediate side effects and long term side effects.

I had to adjust my dose by 1.5 to double I was only on 5 mg aripiprazol A day.for 3/6
Montha. The trip was not effected I any other way than a reduction in potency of all the psychedelic effects

by

I was able to trip even when I was on 3 mg of Risperdal, which in theory should saturate the 5-HT2A receptors... I'm not sure how this could be explained.

I was able to trip even when I was on 3 mg of Risperdal, which in theory should saturate the 5-HT2A receptors... I'm not sure how this could be explained.

This is confusing. Risperidone has a higher affinity for 2A than ketanserin, and ketanserin clearly blocks psychedelic effects.

It's probably just not enough risperidone to form a blockade at 5ht2a. Just thinking about antagonists and partial agonist opioids, a blockade can be dose dependant.

^ I've seen a publication where it was said that even 0.5 mg risperidone is enough to saturate the 5-HT2A receptors... I had been using it for at least 8 years before I attempted to trip on it, though, so it may be that my serotonin receptors had somehow "learned" to be able to be stimulated even despite the Risperdal (just speculating).

It appears aripiprazole is able to modulate or enhance expression of involved receptors like NMDAr, it seems like a long time after discontinuation you are still experiencing consequences of this and at your dosage it's supposed to take 4 months for such changes and not 4 weeks... but once receptor expression has had enough time to manifest without any such epigenetic influence involved, you should react normally again - especially with psychedelics like LSD considering that dissociative perma-tolerance seen with chronic abusers can be so persistent... but for serotonergic psychedelics it is not really a comparable known phenomenon that I ever heard of.

It doesn't even seem to change 5HTr expression like it does NMDAr, but is rather just an antagonist like many neuroleptics / ADs. Possibly it still took some time for all the aripiprazole to be eliminated from your system, it has a very long half-life, however 4 weeks should be enough I'd think.

So give it time, and definitely don't draw conclusions for the next decades on a month's time.

How many times have you tried to trip after the abilify? (On what, what dosage?). Are you taking anything else right now for medication? Cause especially with the LSD, there might be other reasons for not tripping well.

Some people can even still trip while on the abilify..

There is no anti-dote, if anything aripirazole is a kind of antidote for serotonergic compounds acting at the 2A receptor... it just takes time for the drug to go, and leave you pretty much the same. It is not realistic that your brain would be changed permanently in such a way that you worry about.
As for dissociatives: even if effectively something akin to semi permanent tolerance would be induced without chronic NMDA antagonists involved, that would be pretty unique afaik.

Don't overreact now, maybe see if there might be other reasons for having a hard time tripping, especially if most of your tries were shortly after stopping the abilify (that would be rather normal since it still takes quite some time to clear your body).
It's also questionable to trip if you have a condition that requires medication like this, so I'd reconsider that... although I wanna assume that if you panic so heavily over not being able to trip, you must be extremely accustomed to it.
yes thank you, much information :)

ok i waited 4-5 months.. you said it will become better after some time but it didnt work, i still get no effects frum drux.. then i googled "abilify antidote" and on answers.com they said "flumetanizil" but i found nothing on this.. is there a cure..? my life is ruined

so i did some research, as you know most psychedelics are 5HT2A agonists in the brain.. abilify is an antagonist at said receptor sites.. i dared to tell my doc about the whole thing - he too said it will become normal after you stop taking abilify.. well it doesnt - i tried.... it seems abilify is not only an antagonist - it "stays" there permanently until, uh, you die :( how can this brain be healed/brought back..?

Don't know how to say this more gently but...

An antidote is what you take to counter a poison or venom. Abilify changing your sensitivity to drugs does not make it a poison. Flumazenil is an antidote for poisoning in the sense of ODing on benzos, or to catalyze withdrawal.

Abilify definitely doesn't stay there, but I get you use this figuratively. I doubt anyone knows the exact mechanism through which the normal psychedelic signal cascades are 'impaired' in your case. Some people have the same problem from birth apparently, and I don't know how many kinds of ways there are that could happen.. by the way are you saying both psychedelics and dissociatives don't work at all? That would be incredible because they act differently...

Could be it takes the ~7 or so years to completely renew cells if the relevant genetic expressions are unchanged, but if it is structural in a way that just has become your new way of being it would never go away. No way to tell which of these possibilities it is I think.

If your life is ruined to the point of suicide because you can't trip, doesn't that mean your life is already empty if tripping is the only thing to make it worth living? Tripping is supposed to enrich an already livable life... of course we don't know each other so I'm really sorry about what makes your life so unlivable (if you are not talking in a hyperbolic way to begin with).

But have faith that there are many ways to fill a life, sometimes terrible things happen to people and they go through a crisis and are forced to reinvent themselves, to suddenly do things very differently in order to continue living.
Also, if it takes 7 years, it won't be a sudden reset in 7 years time but it will happen gradually, which may mean that long before then, you could see sensitivity returning..

So: you may face a struggle but it is not the end of everything. take care of yourself. Figure out a way to deal with things for the next few years and then you could start trying again, or it may not even be necessary anymore because you have found new things in their stead.

To me, psychedelics are a powerful and compact reflection of yourself, of life, of the beyond... but it is not those things. If you want to experience something similar to the feeling of LSD, in my opinion and personal experience, go on a retreat to meditate for a good part of a week, it can be deep, trippy, meaningful, and much more.

Last edited:
wiffz - swim has a lot of experience with this. However not with lsd but Coke. When using abilify swim would do a lot and Swim means A LOT of Coke in a night and nothing. This went on for months as swim wanted to feel anything again. After swim stopped abilify, (and of pure hell withdrawals) it took about a month before swim tried Coke again and felt the full effect of it. Abilify seemed to block the receptors that reacted to stimulates. Just give it time. Swim didn't feel back to normal for about 4 months. Abilify is god awful drug and swim would not recommend anyone take this. Pure hell to get off of and swim basically lost a year of life in a fog. Swim did feel at times where suicide was the only option. In swims opinion just get off it before you're in too deep.