• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Understanding Opiates

ActingIsLife

Greenlighter
Hello, my name is Jess and I am nineteen years old. Currently I am in an acting group, and we will be performing a play next year. In this play I play a character who struggles with opiate use, and the loss of her father. Because I want to take this role seriously, and I want to show the audiance how devastating an opiate addiction can be, I want to make it as acurate as possible, which is why I came here to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. How do the opiates make you feel the first time you take them?
2. How do the opiates make you feel a couple of weeks after taking them?
3. How do others percieve you when you are on the drug?
4. Do you have a really big high the first time and then less and less, or is it always constant?
5. How did your behavior change when you were on the drug compared to when you were clean?
6. Did the opiates have physical effects also, or just mental effects?
7. What made you not want to stop taking them?
8. What are the physical and mental effects of opiates?

Thank you very much for reading and replying if you do. I hope to make this a memorable role and get an A for acting!

I cannot recommend too much that you read 'Heroin' by Tam Stewart. She describes her personal journey while referencing evidence-based information. I've read 50+ books on the subject, her's is the most useful for an actor getting into the role. She's never going to get rich with here choice of subjects BUT her work is accessible, 100% right and she explains the emotional side without hovering on the hell of withdrawal. From one friend who got clean, he describes opiates not as a monkey on the back but more like a large box on ones back. It makes simple things like walking through a door difficult (for example). It makes everything about your life more of a problem 'fitting' the habit into everyday things.

I'm sure you will get many recommendations and I would offer to give you the book, but in fact I gave it to a Needle-exchange worker who had been an addict. She found it so useful because women face even more risks than men. Emotionally, I don't think there is another book that gives the emotional roller-coaster.

If anyone knows more about Tam Stewart, I would love to know. She's kind of a hero to me, so much was I impressed about her honesty and nous.

Last edited:
spend some time reading erowid experience vaults

While Sekio is 100% correct in that you will see the horrors, I'm not sure that the less dramatic elements are as well drawn. This is just an opinion and, yes, you should look at it.

This is not a research study so I'm moving it to Other Drugs, where hopefully you will encounter some people with the relevant experience to inform your role.

Explaining all of those things in detail enough for you to really grasp it would be a task of epic proportions, It would be pages long IMO. If I were to work on that in order to give it the proper attention it deserves it would take a couple days. NTM you may have heard addicts say that sober people just can not understand what it is they are going through only other addicts. So instead I will share with you some movies that I think got it pretty close aside from some minor detail. Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream, Pure (which is actually a short film about a boy who is trying to deal with his mother’s heroin addiction. His mother is dependent on a pimp and dealer which forces the boy (who is 10) to take care of his mother and younger brother. Even though he’s so young, the boy takes serious action to prevent his mother from dying (as his father did). That would honestly be THE BEST movie for you to watch because it is essentially EXACTLY the role you are trying to play. Copy what they do. They should also give you some good ideas about clothing, hygiene, and environment.

If you actually want to ask these questions to somebody for a FULL explanation PM for my cell phone number an I would be glad to call you and explain in detail. FYI, no this is not some creepy way to talk to a 19 y.o. girl I am 30 and a army veteran I think it is very important to do plays like this in the hopes it can keep kids off this stuff. Addiction does horrible things to people. Things that I am still dealing with all these years later.

Hey Jess, here's some short answers to those questions.
1. It feels great, warmth and love for the world, but doesnt feel like you've gotten into more than you can handle. Certainly a time you will remember, but then it feels like you've just made a good new friend.
2. The first couple weeks are amazing, you're still getting that amazing high, if not a better one, with no foreseeable consequences!
3. People can tell something is up, especially since I get very irritable when I'm high. They don't really want to be around you like that. When it becomes a problem people put up with it less and less.
4. In the beginning it feels like you get just as high everytime, if not higher. Tolerance builds fairly quickly though.
5. Slowly i began to care less and less about my responsibilties and became selfish toward others.
6. When you've been on them for a while yo become physically dependent and get withdrawals.
7. I wanted to stop when I lost control of my life and all I could focus on was getting pills and dope.
8. Euphoria and carefree. Everything is okay. When you're off you'll be sick from withdrawals and likely have anxiety and depression.

I honestly don't remember the first time I got high from them, or used them at all, and I haven't used that much compared to most people I've met who take methadone.

I do love opioids, however I also respect their potential to cause great comfort and pleasant sensations as well as great discomfort and unpleasant sensations.