Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Underrated TV shows

In order to avoid being accused of creating one of these endless back and forth debates, this will be my last post on the subject. I may have got slightly carried away yesterday. It was my first sober day in about three months. I am quitting everything. I apologize if I offended you, Mr. Grunge. Please feel free to respond. Keep in mind, though, if you ask any questions I cannot reply, as I have been warned. I would appreciate it if moderators gave me the benefit of the doubt. Don't delete these posts. I assure you, I will not continue to ramble on. Thanks.

Uh, they're not gay Newsanchors, they are clearly a married heterosexual couple. The heterosexual man isn't dressing like a homosexual, he's dressing like a woman in order to play the part of a woman. They're characters.

The characters are more complex than you give them credit. They are alluding to homosexuality. Tim’s make-up is done like a drag queen. He is not made up to be a woman. He is made up to be some weird grey area between man and woman. This is where a lot of the comedy lies in those sketches.

So they're only impersonating incompetence?

I made it very clear in my dissertation, which took less than ten minutes to write, that by impersonating it, they are also contributing to it; because the satire is one-dimensional, they become what they are satirizing.

Nobody ever said they were clever.

No you didn’t use the word clever. You used the word brilliant. You said Tim and Eric are today’s Monty Python, and Monty Python are brilliant. Ipso facto, Tim and Eric are brilliant which is higher on the scale than clever. You also referred to Tim and Eric (the show) as brilliant directly.

Nobody has ever seen comedy through the same eyes as Tim and Eric - nobody. Not Chaplin, not Python - nobody.

They are not literally Chaplin or Python, no. You were the one that drew the comparison in the first place. My point was that Tim and Eric are not pioneers. They are given credit for pushing the boundaries of comedy when really they aren’t pushing it further than it has already been pushed. (Note: I am talking about conceptual/theoretical advancement, not magnitude.) Chaplin and Python were two examples off the top of my head. I could give you two hundred if you like.

I mentioned Python because of Terry Gilliam's contributions to the show - I think if you look at his animated segments, in particular, you can see the roots of Tim and Eric's style. They took the same sort of stylized, random insanity and contemporized it.

Gilliam’s animations are grounded in high art. He is a contemporary version of Svankmajer. His animations, while they seem absurd, make reference to – and pay homage to – the entire history of art. Tim and Eric are much closer to Johnny Carson skits than they are to Gilliam.

So now you're picking on my vocabulary?

No, dude. Your vocabulary is impressive. Your words are eloquent. My point is that despite being your analysis being sophisticated, the show itself is not sophisticated.

Maybe, but I know many intelligent, cultured people who enjoy Tim and Eric, whereas I can't say I'm friends with anyone who has anything good to say about Jersey Shore. I'm not saying these people are the height of refined sophistication (we can't all be ForEverAfters), but as far as film/television/music go, they seem to know what they're talking about. It's a phenomenon, really, that a show so unabashedly stupid can garner an otherwise intelligent fanbase.

My theory is that intelligent people want to like stupid things. This is the niche that Tim and Eric fill. They create something completely inane, under the guise of being clever, so that clever people who cannot admit outright to being fans of something utterly mindless have an excuse to switch of their brains and giggle.

Countless shows? Which ones?

The first thing that pops into my head is Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace. Richard Ayoade has a habit of making intentionally incompetent shows. Man to Man with Dean Learner also fits the bill. They use bad acting, poor set design and production values, editing mistakes, etcetera for comedic effect. What separates Tim and Eric from Darkplace, is the fact that Darkplace both functions as competent and incompetent. (Note that both these shows are post-2000, both existed before Tim and Eric, and neither exist on Adult Swim. If you need more examples let me know.)

And did any of them manage to make it to five seasons?

What season is Jersey Shore up to? I’m not saying that Jersey Shore is on the same level as Tim and Eric. Personally I can’t stand watching either of them, but Tim and Eric is admittedly a much better show. Jersey Shore is like something the Devil forgot to flush. My point is that you can’t gauge the quality of a show on how many seasons it reaches.

If a show doesn't try to please anybody, be it the audience or their corporate overlords, it gets cancelled. The only reason Tim and Eric managed to stick around so long was because Adult Swim happened to exist.

Adult Swim is given far more credit than it deserves. Tim and Eric is alternative comedy. It appeals to people who don’t want to put up with clichés and laugh tracks, people who are sick to death of normal comedy. And, that’s fine. But it isn’t a new thing, alternative comedy. It has existed in many forms for decades, and in many other forms for centuries.

Also, what does being first have to do with anything?

If somebody starts painting like Picasso, today, their work means nothing. What they are doing is derivative. Anti-comedy is well established. Pushing it further and further it until it eventually snaps isn’t worthy of applause; taking alternative forms of comedy to the nth degree, as far as I’m concerned, has no purpose. What comes after Tim and Eric; an even more intentionally incompetent show about unintentionally incompetent people; a man wearing even more outlandish make-up; worse acting; lazier scripts; more retarded cameramen? If somebody comes along, and they will, and does this: will you tune in?

SAMURAI MOTHER FUCKING JACK
samurai_jack.jpg

I liked Tom Goes to the Mayor more than I do Tim and Eric. Though the John C. Riley skits never fail to make me laugh.

Also, Trailer Park Boys.

Cancelled before their time:

10 items or less. (The entire show is improv. John Lehr is awesome. See him in "Jail bait" on crackle)
Oblongs.
God, devil, & Bob.
Duckman.
Wondershowzen

Ugly Americans is great , but dont hear people talk about it much

Have you seen Jail Bait? It's the same guy (John Lehr) done in the same improv style. Some members of "10 items" are in it.
It's free on crackle. There's about 30 5 - 10 minute episodes.

superjail!

i mean, i know some people are fanatical about it, and some people hate it, but both those numbers seem to be really really small. love the fuck out of that show. i feel lucky living in the Adult Swim town, because we always get cool Adult Swim related art around town. maybe because i'm constantly seeing it i'm more into it? something?

tumblr_lrixbkCT3n1qkqz2ko2_500.jpg
tumblr_lrixbkCT3n1qkqz2ko3_500.jpg

Cancelled before their time: Wondershowzen

No.

I loved the show, even though at times I winced at some of the racial humor. But when interviewed, the PFFR guys said they were purposefully trying to get cancelled near the end of their run. They wanted to move on and that was obvious by the content of their last few episodes. IMO, a third season would have been overkill for the type of format Wonder Showzen had. Besides, PFFR is still producing content on Adult Swim.

I was curious what all that "horse apples" stuff was about. And I'm sure they were getting tired of going up to people with a puppet & camera and having people pissed off at them.

I really liked the kid who would go around and interview people. He was really awesome at reacting to adults. And when he dressed like Hitler, I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes. "Beat Kids"

I haven't kept up much with new tv lately. What are they doing?
edit: ok, got of my lazy butt and googled it. Ill have to check it out.

I really liked the kid who would go around and interview people. He was really awesome at reacting to adults. And when he dressed like Hitler, I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes. "Beat Kids"

Beat kids! Beat kids!

Yeah, his name was Trevor. Check out this interview with John Lee & Vernon Chatman, I think you'll like it.

^That made my day. Can't thank you enough. It was kinda hard to determine when they were serious and when they were messing around, but I learned a bit about the show I didn't know.

(I was gonna reply w/ a quote from the interview, then there were 3 I liked. Then I just didn't stop laughing and I loved the whole interview. )

Stargate SG-1 was seriously underrated. Although there were 10 seasons, 2 SG-1 spin off feature films and 2 spin off TV shows too it was not really rated as high in the sci-fi genre as it should have been, it had everything a good show needs; a great cast, good storyline arcs and character development throughout whilst maintaining some humour. Another thing is that you could either watch it from the pilot to the last episode to experience it properly, or you could just watch random episodes here and there because they each had their own storyline and you didn't have to understand all of the history and arcs to enjoy an episode now and again.

Eli Stone was a great show too and should never have been cut after two seasons, wish they would bring it back.