View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UN attempt to decriminalise drugs foiled

poledriver

Bluelighter

_86209133_istock.jpg

An attempt by UN officials to get countries to decriminalise the possession and use of all drugs has been foiled, the BBC can reveal.
A paper from the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has been withdrawn after pressure from at least one country.

The document, which was leaked, recommends that UN members consider "decriminalising drug and possession for personal consumption".
It argued "arrest and incarceration are disproportionate measures".

The document was drawn up by Dr Monica Beg, chief of the HIV/AIDs section of the UNODC in Vienna. It was prepared for an international harm reduction conference currently being held in Kuala Lumpur.
The UNODC oversees international drugs conventions and offers guidance on compliance.

Sources within the UNODC have told the BBC the document was never sanctioned by the organisation as policy. One senior figure within the agency described Dr Beg as "a middle-ranking official" who was offering a professional viewpoint.
The document, on headed agency notepaper, claims it "clarifies the position of UNODC to inform country responses to promote a health and human-rights approach to drug policy".
"Treating drug use for non-medical purposes and possession for personal consumption as criminal offences has contributed to public health problems and induced negative consequences for safety, security, and human rights," the document states.

_86209132_drugs.jpg

Drug possession is a criminal offence in many member states, including the UK. Last year almost 36,000 people were prosecuted for drug possession in England and Wales with 1,194 receiving custodial sentences.
The Home Office has consistently argued that decriminalisation gives insufficient regard to the harms that drugs pose. "It neither addresses the risk factors which lead individuals to misuse drugs or alcohol, nor the misery, cost and lost opportunities that dependence causes individuals, their families and the wider community."

The UNODC has been under pressure for some time to make a clear statement with regard to decriminalisation of drug possession and use. Other UN agencies including the World Health Organisation and UNAIDS have been explicit in their opposition to drug users facing criminal sanctions on health and human rights grounds.

Campaigners have long believed that the UNODC is key to changing government drug policies ahead of a meeting on 'The World Drug problem' at the UN General Assembly next April.
The lobby group Transform said today that the unpublished briefing paper was "a devastating critique of the harms caused by criminalisation".
"The UN agency in charge of the global drug war says criminalising drug use is unnecessary, disproportionate, causes ill health, violence and death, and breaks international obligations towards health and human rights as a result," Transform's Danny Kushlick said today.

Cont -

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34571609?SThisFB

Richard Branson leaks official UN document to prompt debate over drug decriminalisation

WHEN you’re worth nearly $7 billion, you don’t really think twice about pissing off the United Nations.

Sir Richard Branson has done just that and left the UN’s Office on Drugs and Crime scrambling to cover themselves after he leaked an official document extolling the virtues of decriminalising illicit drugs.

Branson said he was “delighted” by the policy content of the two page document but feared the UN would have a last-minute change of heart. So the airline mogul, who sits on the Global Commission on Drug Policy, leaked the document, titled Decriminalisation of Drug Use and Possession for Personal Consumption, online.

The previously embargoed paper states that liberalisation of laws on controlled substances should be carried out worldwide. It argues that “arrest and incarceration are disproportionate measures” for drug possession offences.

Taking too his personal blog, Branson explained in detail why he chose to leak to paper and threw his support behind the policy approach contained in it.

“The paper spells out in clear terms and based on extensive evidence: there are strong arguments for treating drugs as a health issue and not imprisoning or otherwise criminalising people for personal use or possession of drugs,” he wrote.

The UNODC has been under pressure for some time to make a clear statement with regard to decriminalisation of drug possession and use. Other UN agencies including the World Health Organisation and UNAIDS have been steadfast in their opposition to drug users facing criminal sanctions on health and human rights grounds.

As it turns out, the billionaire was right to worry. Since the leak the UN’s Office on Drugs and Crime has withdrawn the paper, saying it doesn’t represent official policy after it received pressure from at least one country, reports the BBC.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...ecriminalisation/story-fn5tas5k-1227575454995

Kudos to them for even trying.
I wonder which country stopped the measure? I bet it was the US. :p

Would it not cost more, for both the US and Russia, to go on with this useless way of dealing with drugs?

The document, which was leaked, recommends that UN members consider "decriminalising drug and possession for personal consumption".
It argued "arrest and incarceration are disproportionate measures".
This would be such a fucking great advance for so many individuals, and drying out a good part of the income of organized crime etc ..... please, please, please push this through.
It won't happen though.

This would be such a fucking great advance for so many individuals, and drying out a good part of the income of organized crime etc ..... please, please, please push this through.
It won't happen though.

Not yet. I think what they meant is decriminalization, not legalization. You'd still have to buy from the black market. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had to actually read the headline twice because it seemed so unbelievable at first. I mean an attempt at decriminalization of drugs in general in such width? Such a shame it failed though... it would be a great advance not only for a lot of people, but for humanity as a whole.

it would be a great advance not only for a lot of people, but for humanity as a whole.
So true. Even just decriminalization (like they did the first step in Portugal) would be a so great advance. And as usually with big changes, one step before the next.

What would we do with all the "war criminals" ie grandstanding judges that hand down horrible sentences, prosecutors that look at addicts as "inferior". There should be a Nuremberg style tribunal that charges these folks with promoting propaganda and ruining the lives of drug users as well as the lives of their families.

Unfortunately there is just too much money to be made on both sides of the fence. The cartels/organized drug syndicates want to keep raking in profits, and the anti drug "war machine" wants to continue drawing federal funds as well as keep their job. The drug czar especially.

I would love to see the cops that dehumanize people because they have a needle, or a baggie of coke or heroin on them thrown in jail for treating addicts like they don't belong in society.

I bet it was not. There are quite a few "super powers" that have a much harder (and more inhumane and pathetic) line on drugs then the US. Russia for one.

The VICE article on this suggests only really USA, Russia and China as having the kind of sway in the UN to be able to pull of this kind of shenanigan.

Do not worry - change is coming in 2016

With Canada's Liberal Party winning a majority government, expect Marijuana to become legalized soon, and for every major city to eventually have safe injection sites up and running.

What the fuck does any of the aforementioned information have to do with Sir Richard Branson's apparent brain fart? Well, I realize that Canada might be seen as insignificant when it comes to the potential for our federal government to influence U.N. policies in general, but I remain confident that legalizing weed for recreational consumption in the world's 2nd largest country (by land mass) will lead to the same being done in other western nations, and that this will sway the U.N. to not bow to pressure from China and/or Russia's crooked, drug-dealing governments to maintain the disastrous status quo.

Combine this with Obama's tendency to do anything but speak out against such reform, as well as weed being legal in four (?) U.S. states (and counting), and I guarantee that we will be seeing significant change in relation to this war (on a minority group of people who - for whatever reasons - prefer) drugs (other than Alcohol and/or Nicotine). And it's about fucking time, eh?!

I'm betting that 2016 will be a landmark year for U.N. drug policy reform - mark my words :p =D

Thank you, come again.

Last edited:
I bet it was not. There are quite a few "super powers" that have a much harder (and more inhumane and pathetic) line on drugs then the US. Russia for one.

Really? The United States started the War on Drugs. On this day the United States both incarcerates more people and executes more people than Russia. In the United States incarceration and execution often result from problems associated with untreated drug addiction and mental illness. In the United States the partial decriminalization of cannabis is positive. Sadly the numbers demonstrate the United States drug policies remain considerably worse in comparison with most other countries including Russia.

Incarceration Rate By Country
800px-Prisoner_population_rate_world_map.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Executions by Country*
660px-Capital_punishment.PNG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment#Capital_punishment_by_country

*Blue is the best and red is the worst

Yes the US has been a leader in pushing the drug war on the world which has had serious consequences for its population but right now it is experiencing a shift, which the legalization of pot in several states and a greater realization of harm reduction efforts. China and Russia have stuck to the course and have even intensified their own crackdowns on drugs.

I have to agree with Negi, the current trend in the US is fairly different from that of Russia or China.

The US will fight the War on Drugs to the last South American.

The USA has been a major player in the 'War on Drugs' from the 70's putting a great deal of pressure on countries such as Peru and threatening or actually having economic sanctions on countries that dare to go against them, (they have caused terrible suffering and harm in South America). Despite the trend towards legalisation of Cannabis the US needs victims to serve in the prison-industrial complex. The US has a disproportionate power over the UN and will make sure that they do not give in to common sense.

The leading lights in the drug/addiction/law enforcement fields all cite the illegality of drugs as causing the most harm, and indeed there was another death for a mule smuggling from Portugal to Ireland - he would be alive were it not for the legal status of drugs. Despite the fantastic results in Portugal and most research showing legalisation as the way to go, fuck wits like Cameron have too much to gain from drugs remaining illegal so will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way.