• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Ultra Low Dose Naltrexone (UDLN) Experiences

I personally couldn't tell if it was working (while taking those kinds of doses).

I felt like it might have made me irritatable and might have caused some insomnia, but this could all have been imagined and unrelated to the UDLN. This was mostly taken alone, without narcotics.

Not sure if I'd push the dose higher than say 10mcg, those they gave this guy a full milligram https://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S0885-3924(03)00139-8/fulltext
They gave him a milligram of naltrexone but it was diluted in 1 litre of purified water, and he was told to take 1 ml twice per day which would have been 1 microgram of naltrexone twice per day in the end. Ultra low dose :) I’m going to keep experimenting with this, just took 1 microgram of naltrexone about 30 minutes before I will take my methadone.

Any experiences with either ultra low dose naltrexone or low dose naltrexone?

In short, the idea behind it is to take a tiny dose of a long-acting opioid antagonist to upregulate the opioid system/promote endorphin release. The doses used are very small, often in the 1 microgram to 50 microgram range (which 10,000 to 50,000 times less than the starting doses of naltrexone used to treat alcoholism).

Oftentimes, ultra low dose naltrexone is used in combination with an opioid for those looking to decrease their tolerance. At these very low doses naltrexone does not precipitate withdrawal.

However, I am no longer a daily opioid use and my goal is not to reduce tolerance, but to upregulate my opioid system. I have spent more than a third of my life on daily high dose opioids. At the peak of my opioid dependency I was taking 380mg of methadone a day (equivalent to around 4.5 grams of morphine/day), on top of which I somehow managed to develop a secondary opioid habit of IV fentanyl, 16.8mg a day (another 1.5g of morphine equivalent). Managed to get off of daily opioids eventually, but I've had many lower level flare-ups, shorter term habits with various opioids like tianeptine, poppy pods, tramadol etc etc.

It is probably fair to say my opioid system is highly dysregulated, especially given that I started heavy opioid abuse while still a teenager. I try to avoid them as best I can but still dabble. Recently I made the mistake of growing poppies. About two weeks ago I consumed one relatively strong dose of poppy tea, probably containing around 120mg to 160mg of morphine, and after it wore off, I felt pretty terrible for a good 10 days. This is how low functioning my opioid system is. Withdrawal from a single dose.

In any event, I just started ultra low dose naltrexone today, in hopes that it might improve my clearly dysregulated opioid system. I started with 5 micrograms earlier this morning.

Can't imagine I'll get many replies but if anyone has experiences with ultra low dose or low dose naltrexone I'd love to hear them!
how are you doing now? did it work for you? do you need a perscription?

I am attempting to taper off of suboxone but am having a rough time. Was up to 16mg per day and am now down to 12mg per day. So far I've been dropping 2mg every 1-2 months. Even dropping 2mg can be a bit uncomfortable, and I feel like it takes about a month for my body to get used to the lower dose. Just in time for another decrease. It's nothing too bad. Usually just mild soreness in the legs and maybe a tiny bitof restlessness at night. Does anyone know if I started ULDN now, if it might help my body adjust to the dose drops quicker, or if it might somehow make this process a bit easier to handle? I've been on subs almost a year now, before that i was on about 20-30g of Kratom a day. I've used kratom on and off for years and have also been addicted to Morphine and Heroin at different times in my life. I also feel that my system is so dysregulated that I get withdrawal effects after 1 or 2 doses of an opioid.

Do you think it'd be better for me to start ULDN now, or wait until I am offf of subs completely?
I took pain meds for decades then tried getting off with kratom. it worked but I needed to dose every couple of hours. i never felt free. went back on pain meds because i have chronic pain and I hated the kratom, especially the 2-hour withdrawals. so I get back on my pain meds and guess what ??? tolerance was very high and I was still in withdrawal anxiety every two hours. the opposite of what i wanted happened. it's a nightmare. I want to try the ULDN. only i do not want my doctor to know. when you have pain you cannot tell your doc anything about withdrawal tolerance or really anything, they are looking for a reason to take that script away. I wonder if there is a way to get it without my regular doctor.

I took pain meds for decades then tried getting off with kratom. it worked but I needed to dose every couple of hours. i never felt free. went back on pain meds because i have chronic pain and I hated the kratom, especially the 2-hour withdrawals. so I get back on my pain meds and guess what ??? tolerance was very high and I was still in withdrawal anxiety every two hours. the opposite of what i wanted happened. it's a nightmare. I want to try the ULDN. only i do not want my doctor to know. when you have pain you cannot tell your doc anything about withdrawal tolerance or really anything, they are looking for a reason to take that script away. I wonder if there is a way to get it without my regular doctor.
I was gonna say "just ask your doctor to prescribe the 50mg Naltrexone and make a batch yourself" then realized they'd never prescribe it to someone also prescribed opioids.

I'm pretty sure there are websites that sell LDN preparations as Naltrexone isn't scheduled. You might be able to find something with a search. No sources allowed here and I assume that that extends to things like Naltrexone, but there is no such rule on Reddit :) I'd be very surprised if there wasnt a LDN subreddit. People there I'm sure will be more helpful

I was gonna say "just ask your doctor to prescribe the 50mg Naltrexone and make a batch yourself" then realized they'd never prescribe it to someone also prescribed opioids.

I'm pretty sure there are websites that sell LDN preparations as Naltrexone isn't scheduled. You might be able to find something with a search. No sources allowed here and I assume that that extends to things like Naltrexone, but there is no such rule on Reddit :) I'd be very surprised if there wasnt a LDN subreddit. People there I'm sure will be more helpful
thanks sooooo much!!

thanks sooooo much!!
One problem is that by searching "LDN prescription" or etc on Google, you can indeed find sites that will connect you to a doctor/service that will prescribe it for you (sometimes without even having an online appointment, but rather by simply filling out a form), but I believe most if not all are geared towards low dose naltrexone (LDN), not ultra low dose naltrexone (UDLN). You'll want the latter (UDLN) because the doses for LDN are often too high to be taken with pain medication.

Essentially, LDN is meant for people who are not taking narcotic pain meds but rather want naltrexone as a stand-alone treatment. The doses associated with LDN are high enough to induce withdrawal in those taking opioids. Usually the online LDN prescriptions/formulations start at a minimum .5mg, which is the same as 500mcg (1mg = 1000mcg), which is still probably too high of a dose to be taken with an opioid. ULDN uses doses that are much lower, usually .001mg to .05mg (aka 1mcg to 50mcg). But you may be able to dissolve a .5mg pill or capsule in 10ml of water and dose accordingly.

It's also possible you could get an online appointment with a doctor and have him/her write a prescription for day 1mcg, but the compounding pharmacies that these online LDN providers use aren't really geared for UDLN. Essentially they mass produce pills/capsules ranging from .5mg to 5mg, and you fill out an online form that some doctor you've never met signs off on (often you never speak to the doctor), and they mail you the pills. They are able to do this because naltrexone is not a controlled substance and has no potential for abuse. But again, the LDN doses are too high for someone dependent on opioids (high enough to induce withdrawal). As I mentioned, one possible solution would be to dissolve it in water and consume a fraction.

Anyway, just FYI. Wouldn't want you to go into withdrawal from taking an LDN type dose.

@negrogesic I have a few questions and need some of your ancient wisdom. Relating to opiate/oid cessation but not ldn/uldn. Didn't know if this thread was the place to ask but I saw your reply while reading. Should I DM you or make a post. Sorry been a lurker for over a decade but never posted.

One problem is that by searching "LDN prescription" or etc on Google, you can indeed find sites that will connect you to a doctor/service that will prescribe it for you (sometimes without even having an online appointment, but rather by simply filling out a form), but I believe most if not all are geared towards low dose naltrexone (LDN), not ultra low dose naltrexone (UDLN). You'll want the latter (UDLN) because the doses for LDN are often too high to be taken with pain medication.

Essentially, LDN is meant for people who are not taking narcotic pain meds but rather want naltrexone as a stand-alone treatment. The doses associated with LDN are high enough to induce withdrawal in those taking opioids. Usually the online LDN prescriptions/formulations start at a minimum .5mg, which is the same as 500mcg (1mg = 1000mcg), which is still probably too high of a dose to be taken with an opioid. ULDN uses doses that are much lower, usually .001mg to .05mg (aka 1mcg to 50mcg). But you may be able to dissolve a .5mg pill or capsule in 10ml of water and dose accordingly.

It's also possible you could get an online appointment with a doctor and have him/her write a prescription for day 1mcg, but the compounding pharmacies that these online LDN providers use aren't really geared for UDLN. Essentially they mass produce pills/capsules ranging from .5mg to 5mg, and you fill out an online form that some doctor you've never met signs off on (often you never speak to the doctor), and they mail you the pills. They are able to do this because naltrexone is not a controlled substance and has no potential for abuse. But again, the LDN doses are too high for someone dependent on opioids (high enough to induce withdrawal). As I mentioned, one possible solution would be to dissolve it in water and consume a fraction.

Anyway, just FYI. Wouldn't want you to go into withdrawal from taking an LDN type dose.
I am going to have to withdraw anyway, my doctor said he will not prescribe pain meds anymore. the insurance makes him do prior authorizations. it's happening everywhere now. my life is going to be very difficult starting as soon as tommorrow.