Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - The war on drugs killed my daughter

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Observer

Mark Townsend
Sunday 22 June 2014

With reader comments

Martha Fernback, 15. died from taking 91% pure ecstasy. Anne-Marie Cockburn is campaigning for drug legalisation to spare others her ordeal.

On 17 July 1971 the US president, Richard Nixon, announced what has become known as the war on drugs, instigating an unrelenting campaign that has cost hundreds of thousands of lives and billions of dollars. On the same date, 42 years later, in north Oxford, Martha Fernback, 15, and a friend bought a plastic sachet holding a crystallised gram of MDMA for £40 from a dealer. It was no impulse buy. Martha's online history revealed she had meticulously researched the risks of the drug and opted to buy its most expensive variant, assuming the better quality it was, the safer it would be. One of the myriad ramifications of Nixon's hardline stance has meant buying drugs is a fraught and risk-laden business: users do not know what they are taking. In Martha's case better quality meant greater purity. She had no idea that her batch was 91% pure compared with an average street level of 58%. Around lunchtime on 20 July last year Martha swallowed her 0.5 gram and within two hours was dead, the MDMA inducing cardiac failure.

More...
http://www.theguardian.com/society/...-on-drugs-anne-marie-cockburn-martha-fernback

My condolences to the mother of the deceased. And I do agree with her that this putrid war aided in killing her daughter - at least much more so than any good it may have done.

The comments are encouraging as they seem to be consistently filled with less prohibitionist b.s.

I believe we are slowly but surely making progress.

However, it pains me to know that more young ones will tragically die due to similar circumstances (of which there would be little to none if the drugs in question weren't regarded as a "You Owe Society A Great Debt Citation."

Nice to see one of these parents who tragically lose their children to an overdose thinking about the issue on a deeper level than drugs are the sole problem.

Kinda baffling that the article claims this girl researched MDMA meticulously but then she took 500mg after purchasing the highest purity drug she could, it sounds to me like she didn't research things that thoroughly. The mother seems very caught up on the fact the MDMA she took was high purity but the fact is even if it was average purity she took way too much, obviously that doesn't mean she deserved to die but I think it is unrealistic to put 100% of the blame of her death on the illicit nature of the drug when the user was taking such a high dose for a first time.

Last edited:
Even with the high purity of the MDMA, 500mg isnt really that much, definitely too much for a first timer but I'm sure theres many people on here (myself included) who have taken doses like this or higher, perhaps even a lot higher. Although the illicit nature certainly never helped I cant help but think of her having a hidden heart condition of sorts, which could have been the real problem.

But have you taken >500mg MDMA in one hit? I know I used to munch a few pills over a night but never all at once.

She was 15 years old, allegedly a first timer and based on the photo in the article she does not look to be heavy, in these circumstances 500mg of 91% pure MDMA is an incredibly large dose. Not to mention the fact that considering all these factors I doubt she took it in more than one, maybe two doses. There is no way someone in her circumstances feeling the onset of 91% pure MDMA would think "this isn't intense enough, I might take more". There is a chance she might of had had a full stomach and took an initial dose then the rest 20-40 minutes later when she felt nothing, but that is about as many doses I can imagine the girl taking in this situation.

I am sure there are plenty on this website who have taken 500mg of MDMA in a night, with at least one, if not several re doses, I would wager there are not too many who decided to take 500mg off the bat (frankly, any experienced user who would do this neither respects the drug nor their body, and I say that as someone who has thrashed MDMA to the point I have "lost the magic"). Anyone who did this was almost certainly an experienced user who was neither 15, nor as light as this girl was.

Her death is nothing short of a tragedy, and the illicit nature of the substance undoubtedly contributed to her death. I just can't help but feel if the poor girl had done as much research on the drug as the article and her mother would suggest that she would still be alive today, regardless of the drugs legal status.

Last edited:
But have you taken >500mg MDMA in one hit? I know I used to munch a few pills over a night but never all at once.

When I was deep in to the rave scene here, some people were taking 500 mg in one dose, in a horse cap, and some were consuming easily over a gram per night. The MDMA was very pure at the time, too (I knew of someone who was selling it in 65 mg doses and that was enough to get high off of for intolerant users). No one ever died from it.

Obviously age, weight, and inexperience were a huge factor here.