• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Teenager Critical After Taking Legal High (AMT)

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Heart FM

15th August 2013, 17:15

A 17-year-old from Southampton is being treated at Southampton General Hospital’s intensive care unit after taking a ‘legal high’ drug he bought on the internet. The boy’s mother phoned an ambulance after finding him in his bedroom on Wednesday afternoon, August 14. He said he'd taken Alpha Methyltryptamine (AMT) which had been ordered from Holland. His condition remains life-threatening, according to the hospital.

Police are warning against the use of so-called ‘legal highs’. Detective Constable Jonathan Hyland said: “The clear issue is that people who state they have a strong view about not taking controlled drugs are importing and purchasing drugs which they read on-line are a substitute for controlled drugs. People incorrectly believe that these ‘legal highs’ are then both safe and appropriate alternatives to street drugs. Just because something is not illegal does not make it safe. Unfortunately, it appears that anyone can call anything a ‘legal high’ and ell it as ‘safe’. It only becomes clear it is not safe when someone becomes severely harmed by taking it and subsequent investigations reveal substances within the compound can be lethal. This is the third exceptionally serious case involving AMT in Hampshire since 2012. If you are considering taking any type of non personally prescribed drug, I would urge you to consider for a few minutes – before you use the substance - how your family would feel, finding you in need of critical medical attention.”

Two Hampshire deaths have been attributed to AMT since June, 2012, when a 19-year-old Chandler’s Ford youth died. In July, 2012, a 33-year-old Andover man died after taking AMT.

http://www.heart.co.uk/southcoast/news/local/teenager-critical-after-taking-legal-high/

Why would anyone order AMT from Holland when it is available so easily, from reliable vendors, in the UK? Something here does not add up.

Has aMT not been around for decades with no confirmed deaths? With 3 in the same place, in the same 1-2 years? Although these are probably unconfirmed as well, it doesnt matter, as the government will get what they want anyway... One drug closer to every drug being illegal.

Foaf recently had seizures on amt, got into newspaper and stuff.
I believe he got it from a headshop rather than as a powder online. I don't know which is safer for these guys really, a potentially adulterated product or a potent powder with no knowledge of dosage nor technology to seperate into a safe dose. I would not be surprised at all if they split a gram between a small group of them, nor would it even raise an eyebrow if they did this while on ket or md.

Not suggesting this is a 'dangerous' drug at all, a friend of mine suddenly had seizures one morning after smoking a joint. He'd been smoking for years before and has been since, doesn't seem to have epilepsy, just a random seizure.

Medias just hating on amt, ban commencing in 10... 9...