Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Southend teacher fired after bragging about taking ecstasy

edgarshade

Bluelighter
The Enquirer

by PHIL HARRISON

With reader comments

A SOUTHEND teacher who bragged about taking ecstasy on a social networking site has been fired.

Matthew Ross was also found to have been under the influence of the Class A drug whilst teaching at Thorpe Greenways Junior School on 29 November 2010 by the General Teaching Counsel’s Disciplinary Board last week.

A colleague had raised concerns after seeing the “inappropriate” post on a social media site but failed to make the school aware of the serious nature of the concern until later in the day.

When confronted by the Headteacher, Mr Ross lied about having taken the illegal substance and was immediately suspended.

The panel ruled that Mr Ross had “failed in his duty to safeguard the wellbeing and safety of pupils in his care”.

More...
http://www.theenquirer.co.uk/Southend+teacher+fired+after+bragging+about+taking+ecstasy id=5972

he deserves it; no one cares about how he did/does MDMA. If you want to get high and teach kids don't brag about it.

He was "found to have been under the influence of the Class A drug whilst teaching"??? What was that like? The mind boggles!

OK, a MASSIVE shout out to the back of the classroom! We're feeln' it!

LOL!

"I'm gonna start us out this morning with some uplifting trance. Everyone, you gotta hear this - it gives me goosebumps!"

<Teacher starts dancing by himself while the whole class looks at each other creeped out>

... "By the way, anyone got any water? How about some gum? I need some fucking gum!"

"I'm gonna start us out this morning with some uplifting trance. Everyone, you gotta hear this - it gives me goosebumps!"

<Teacher starts dancing by himself while the whole class looks at each other creeped out>

... "By the way, anyone got any water? How about some gum? I need some fucking gum!"

Lmfao... thats Saaaaaaathend for you

Who the hell goes to work, especially as a teacher at a school, high on MDMA? Then has the stupidity to brag about it on a publicly accessible website? Christ! I thought teachers were supposed to be intelligent people! No sympathy I'm afraid.

If he was reported by someone for being high on MDMA in his own time away from work, I'd have all the sympathy in the world if he went on to lose his job, but in this case, I have no sympathy at all. The exact same thing would apply if he came to work drunk.

I don't think it's a big deal; they should've just sent him home in a cab. I've taught college students (algebra) while on heroin, weed, coke, DXM, benzos, haldol and liquor. Surprisingly, the most disabling of these was weed.

I'm not suprised, though I'd have thought haldol and dxm could be pretty hairy too :eek:

Wondering how they knew he was teaching on e and not just lying on his fb page.

I don't even talk about drinking alcohol (I'm 19), much less taking MDMA on social networking sites. I keep my drug using life separate from my public life for the most part. While most friends know I use drugs, there are definitely people on my facebook that I don't want to know about my usage. To me its not even necessary or smart since drugs are illegal...

This article says he took it the weekend before being caught. So would teaching on a comedown be as bad as coming up? Does that mean teaching on a hangover is just as shocking. I can imagine it being quite a painful ordeal, but not actually as bad as being 'under the influence', which the original link seems to have 'missed out', with SENSATIONAList results!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...ence-suspended_n_1145991.html?ref=uk-teachers

I don't think it's a big deal; they should've just sent him home in a cab. I've taught college students (algebra) while on heroin, weed, coke, DXM, benzos, haldol and liquor. Surprisingly, the most disabling of these was weed.

I have been a big fan of altered states for many years, and a teacher for most of that time, but I cannot ever teach while under the influence. I tried going to one class while I was in high school after smoking weed, and I hated it. I tried again, once, when I was in college, and hated it again. So those are the only two times I mixed academics and drugs (other than alcohol or caffeine) in a social setting. (In private, I wrote most of my dissertation while stoned, and a good portion while on small doses of LSD, but that is a different issue.)

However, a few years ago, in a country where I no longer reside, I was volunteer-teaching a small children's class in ESL. To say "ESL" is a bit of an exaggeration, however, as it was basically supposed to be a fun play time in English. I had been very stressed about the class - mostly about the behavior of the students' mothers, who just sat and watched as their small kids ran around screaming during class. To be clear, it was not my job to take care of screaming babies, and that is why I set up the class so that the parent always came with the child. I explained this to the parents on the first day of class. But some were too busy talking with other mothers to pay attention when their child was screaming and running.

After several months of this, I decided to get really high on weed and go teach class.
This had not been against my personal moral code until then, but was simply unthinkable in terms of my own happiness.
But I tried it, and managed to ignore both the lazy mothers and the screaming kids, and to focus on having fun with the kids who were participating. I had an incredibly fun time, and so did the kids. As they watched everyone having so much fun, the kids who had been screaming began to stop and to come participate.

Overall, a huge success. I had more fun, and so did the kids. More kids participated, too. Even the mothers commented "What a fun class today! The class really has gotten used to you." or something like that. :)

So, to the haters: go on and hate all you want, as I dared to mix drugs and children.
But I would be able to hear you much better if you could explain why it is wrong to do so. (At least, in my case. I understand that showing up completely drunk would be a different story.)