• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Psychedelic art: what came out of it?

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Daily Telegraph

By Rupert Christiansen, Opera Critic
8:00AM BST 12 Oct 2013

With reader comments

Psychedelic art was considered dangerously subversive 50 years ago. A new exhibition in London called Reflections from Damaged Life asks whether anything of aesthetic worth came out of the genre.

Psychedelic art is a phrase now quaintly evocative of the late Sixties, conjuring up memories of trippy-hippy album covers lurid with swirls of colour: the bolder, cleaner new visions opened up by CGI and computer games now make it all look as weirdly innocent as a child’s kaleidoscope.

Yet 50 years ago, it was considered dangerously subversive: an attempt to glamorise the experience of hallucinogenic drugs and suggest insight into deeper realities beyond the phenomenal world – an extreme version, one might say, of the larger enterprise of Romanticism, carrying with it all sorts of dangerous delusions and folie de grandeur. But like so many counter-cultural phenomena, it soon slipped into the mainstream and became the norm (the musical Hair and the Beatles’ later albums being the turning point) before things moved on, and along with wampum beads and bell-bottom trousers, it became merely passé.

An excellent new exhibition at Raven Row, Alex Sainsbury’s beautiful gallery in the heart of Huguenot Spitalfields, explores the phenomenon with a commendable lack of moralising hysteria or special pleading and asks whether anything of aesthetic worth came out of the genre.

More...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...1924/Psychedelic-art-what-came-out-of-it.html

Does "anything of worth" mean crappy advertisments and such? Is that the definition of success? I hate when an underground art form is exploited like say Graffiti has been. If it's so dated and corny why do orginal psychedelic art posters sell for thousands? I hate the computer made crap that passes for psychedelic art today, and love the classics. TBH I don't care what critics think, or what the establishment thinks. My friends come over and think that art is cool, good enough.

I've got an old poster, printed back when flourescent printing was new. It's an orange mandala! It's incredieble, given to me by an aging hippy who'd given it all up & reckoned the poster would be more use to me. It's the been the centre point of my room ever since, depsite falling apart around the edges.

I've been thinking of psychedelic dance music as psychedelic art for the last 20 years or so...