Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Merseyside police backing national crackdown on legal highs

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Liverpool Echo

By Helen Hunt
25 Nov 2013 18:31

With reader comments

Charity worker Alison Hodgson warned that legal highs were “more dangerous than crack cocaine”

Merseyside police is backing a national crackdown on legal highs. Supported by the Home Office, the National Crime Agency and the UK Border Force, forces from across the UK will be targeting suppliers and making personal visits to people who have bought the products. Officers will also be carrying out a range of activities designed to raise awareness of the damage legal highs can do to health and looking at ways they can stem the supply of these substances over the internet.

Last month, the ECHO revealed how Merseyside children were playing a deadly game of Russian Roulette by taking legal highs in home and in school.
Revealed: Merseyside children playing deadly game of “Russian Roulette” with legal highs. Cheaply bought over the internet or from other young people, charity worker Alison Hodgson, from Evolve, warned that legal highs were “more dangerous than crack cocaine”.

Today she welcomed the new clampdown. She said: “Anything that helps to raise awareness of the damage legal highs do has to be welcomed. “I honestly believe a lot of people are innocent – they don’t realise how lethal they can be because they are legal. Education has to be the way to protect people because each time a legal high is banned another one floods in.”

More...
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...ide-police-backing-national-crackdown-6340503

Reader comment
John Bradley
6:40 PM on 25/11/2013
The Police's job is enforcing the law not making them up to pander to the ill informed rants of a puritanical minority and Jane Kennedy.

Why? What are they going to do the drugs aren't technically illegal, are they going to give you a stern talking too, I hope they do this in my area so I can politely tell them to fuck off, also I would be asking how they know I bought said legal high isn't GCHQ only used for terrorists? And great more police resources used to try and stop people getting high rather than I don't know solving a murder, rape or even just patrolling the streets outside pubs to defend people from a dangerous legal high thats sold nearly everywhere, free to advertise and causes thousands of deaths a year.

Fuck this country I'm going to the Antarctic.

Edit: Also its really annoying when a Police Chief backs making drugs legal then stories like this pop up, some people don't want their hands held, especially if its a person in uniform holding it.

Last edited:
I have a deep & eternal distrust of authority & I will not ignore a drug just because it is banned & I will not take a drug just because it is legal.

This smacks of intimidation. The police generally enforce, and concern themselves with, the law, not public health issues. Do the police contact you to tell you to eat less salt and use condoms? Of course not. Sure, children should be made aware of the dangers of research chemicals, but by teachers and parents, not by the filth.

charity worker Alison Hodgson, from Evolve, warned that legal highs were “more dangerous than crack cocaine”.

'There, that should bring in some funding for my self-appointed charity', thought Alison. The cow.